May have damaged thread on new Bafang BBS02 motor. Any easy solution?

Encantador

Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2008
As a complete novice, I thought I had done well fitting this kit. Unfortunately, not quite worked out how I expected.

Obviously all my fault, first problem was right pedal falling off, new crank arm, sorted.

Now the left crank arm has come loose where it attaches to the motor. When I got it back and remove the bolt there were metal filings on it, I am no expert but assume that means damage to the thread which is obviously part of the motor and not as easily rectified as a new crank arm.

I changed the bolt to the old one which I had taken off the bike when I did the conversion, added blue loctite and tightened it up. Today after about a mile and a half I tested it and it needed half a turn to tighten it fully again.

I will try it again before doing anything about it, but what options do I have if it keeps coming loose?

Thanks

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
I would highly recommend buying a torque wrench and hex socket set. I had problems with loose crank arms when I was tightening by guesswork. Now I use a torque wrench to tighten to 40 N-m and have never had a problem since.

Reactions: Encantador

Encantador

Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2008
Thanks for the reply.

Are they best purchased separately, most 'sets' on Amazon only go to 20-25Nm?

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010

Encantador

Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2008
Thanks again, I will try that first.

being a pessimist, what other options are there if this does not work?

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
The thread is damaged, a re-tap of the thread is a solution [but not for the faint hearted:eek:] if it cleans the damaged thread and holds with loctite all ok .But if not its deep fun fixed a tsdz2 with a a hole drilled in the pedal arm then tapped a thread and used grub screw down onto one of the flats on the shaft , the motor shafts costs mega£ and is wait from china

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
If the thread is damaged, as Peter says, a replacement axle shaft is an option. You can buy just the axle, but as you mentioned you are a novice, a complete axle/gear assembly may be the way to go. Replacing just the axle can be a PITA.

You can buy from Green Bike Kit, but may find UK vendors selling the assembly.

Here's the link for the one from Green Bike Kit:

https://www.greenbikekit.com/bafang-8fun-bbs-kits-and-spare-parts/8fun-bbs01-bbs0b-maintenance-repair-related-parts/bafang-8fun-mid-crank-motor-clutch-for-replacement.html

Encantador

Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2008
Thanks again for the replies, plenty to think about. I have been reading about Helicoil, is that something worth considering?

Maybe I can find somewhere local with the tools and know how to do some sort of re-tapping if required. I am guessing if re-tapping is something you can do, what you are working on doesn't make much difference.

What sort of business might I find locally?

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
The shaft will not have enough wall to helicoil the local engineering shop will have the taps /dies set
or an old school car mechanic , the sets are cheap enough to buy on ebay, i will check but sure i used 8mm finish tap

Encantador

Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2008
Am I right in thinking that if it is the inside thread that is damaged and therefore the problem re-tapping would mean making the hole/thread bigger (needing a new bolt if there is one) and fitting a helicoil/time sert would keep it the same size so the existing bolt will still fit???

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
The tap cleans the damaged thread i used a finishing tap and luck had it the hole was drilled deeper than the original thread so could take a longer bolt once re threaded
A helicoil needs a lot of material around the original hole as it is machined out to take a larger plug , in which has the original thread is in the centre most common use car /motorcycle engine block or spark plug repairs
But as it is a steel shaft will not work the total dia is to small

KeithMac

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 20, 2016
York
Helicoils are quite thin, I'd be surprised if you couldn't have one fitted?, local car garage or motorcycle shop maybe.

We use Wurth inserts which are a better repair but an M8 insert uses a 9.5mm hole iirc.

Encantador

Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2008
so far having been tightened properly it appears to be holding, but only done about 20 miles.

Thanks for the replies.