Maybe we should all be more anti-theft minded

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Reading this forum I see a number of bikes are stolen on a weekly basis-even a folder stolen from a locked car boot. On our latest ECO bike we have added an extendable cable to the normal rear wheel lock-the wheel lock is ok,stops an opportunist thief riding the bike away but the thief could still pick the bike up and throw it in a van,the cable lock to a lampost or bike rack makes that more difficult.
What are others best ideas to make these bikes more difficult to steal? I would happily incorporate anti-theft ideas in future bikes.
Dave
KudosCycles

steveindenmark

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 10, 2011
I have a quick release seat stem and my Brooks saddle often comes with me.

I have also made some thin stainless steel wire strops at work. They are about 2m long with eyes pressed to 6 tons. They can be cut with bolt croppers but not with wire cutters.

When I leave the bike I thread the strop through the frame a couple of times and through the wheels and the seat if I leave it on and ALWAYS round something that will not move. It has served me well up to now and coils up small and fits in my pocket.

I see no reason why electric bikes cannot be fitted with a miniture GPS tracker in the battery box as power is already there.

Steve

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I don't think there can ever be an effective defence against theft by van, this seriously affecting the motorcycle world as well.

To prevent rideaway theft, the German Army bikes in WW2 had quick-detach saddles which did the trick well. It's not really practical for us to carry saddles around, but a saddle which could be tilted 90 degrees to leave it's nose point vertical and locked there would be quite effective.

Another device that would prevent both ride-away and walk away theft would be a steering lock. Why we've never seen such a simple device on bikes baffles me, incorporation would be so easy in more than one way.

N.B. Crossed with Steve's post.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The Bike Europe feature on this webpage mentions anti-theft devices being highlighted in their December edition Dave, might be a useful source of ideas too.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I don't think alarms are very effective, people just don't take any notice of them. Also bike size ones are rarely noisy enough.

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
I will try one of the Sealey type alarms-I think it would be more effective if wired into the controller box,it would be difficult to determine the source of the news and the element of surprise would be good...thanks Scatty and Flecc will look up your suggestions.
Dave
KudosCycles

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
I don't think there can ever be an effective defence against theft by van, this seriously affecting the motorcycle world as well.

Another device that would prevent both ride-away and walk away theft would be a steering lock. Why we've never seen such a simple device on bikes baffles me, incorporation would be so easy in more than one way.

N.B. Crossed with Steve's post.
Getting old now Flecc!!
Remember the Raleigh steering locks?

avronb

Pedelecer
Oct 8, 2011
I use my motor cycle lock when i park my ebike in town,i also use another motor cycle lock to secure the battery.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Getting old now Flecc!!
Remember the Raleigh steering locks?
Caught me out, yes, I had forgotten Mike!

I'd like to see car style barrel steering locks on high value modern bikes now that theft is so prevalent. Bolt cutters can't overcome them.

aseb

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 12, 2009
I've just got an Abus Amparo 4850 frame/wheel lock to try out, and the cable that attaches to it. I managed to get both from different suppliers at pretty good prices. The lock has only just arrived so I've not really looked at it yet but it's surprisingly heavy. It has the advantage of always being on the bike- I won't be able to forget it. I may consider one on both wheels but I'll need to check fitment first.

I'm still considering an alarm but I'm not convinced that anyone else would take much notice of one anyway. There are some paging alarms but ebay supplier metres might mot be the same as the ones I use.

lemmy

Esteemed Pedelecer
My Tasman came as standard with the Axa lock. It makes the bike impossible to ride away and you'd have to lift the rear wheel (heavy!) to wheel it away.

I also use the plug in lock with it which is handy to tether the bike, since you can loop it around something and then just have a single strand running to the bike.

I also run the cable through the battery handle loop and use a big Abus Granit lock around the frame. It won't stop someone who is determined to steal it but I'd have thought that an upright continental style electric bike like mine would have little appeal for flogging down the local boozer.

The safest is my Brompton. Twenty seconds to fold it up and then just carry it in wherever you go.

Orraman

Pedelecer
May 4, 2008
What about motion activated cattle prod seatposts?
Some years ago my car was stolen and I fleetingly thought of a 12 bore cartridge as in the Stokes mortar under the seat but immediately realised that I would only remember it when my bum was 6 inches above it and descending fast.

Some time ago I sought ideas on what aggressive measures would be would be acceptable with emphasis on using the seat tube to house a little legal mayhem.
The hub dynamo on my Gitane charges up the microcontroller for the automatic gear change mechanisim which has never failed.
Why not use a similar scheme for a micro to arrange various warnings and reminders for the owner before any overt action is taken.

The microcontroller to take control of ~~
Locks and motion detectors with loud alarms.
Wheel revs to ensure a suitable speed before firing an Axi lock on the front wheel, 'cos I Believe in Retribution.
Igniting a fuse to set off chemicals to generate a clinging miasma of skunk to saturate clothing through lateral facing jets.

The next section of the chemical stack to emit, in the seat tube under a ventilated saddle, copious volumes neutral buoyancy coloured smoke to leave a visible trail, dye to indelibly stain clothing and fill any vehicle to suffocation.

The last section, 'cos I want to creep up on them, to provide a measure of warmth to the miscreants nether regions 'cos I Believe sinners should Repent.
From working agricultural fumigation I reckon a seat tube should provide sufficient fumes to fill 500 cubic metres and last about 10 minutes.

Dave

aseb

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 12, 2009
I got an AXA lock- there are 3 types of fitment. I chose the LH which is supposed to fit at the top but the fitting diagrams are tiny and absolutely rubbish, and I can't see how it's meant to fit. There are two captive bots extending out of the top that don't seem to line up with anything, a plastic spacer, and 2 left over bolts that fit nothing- perhaps a plate is missing from the supplied parts. Abus in Germany referred me to the GB distributor (and copied them with my question) zyro in Thirsk - but still no response after several days.

Synthman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2010
Oxford
My bike came fitted with a front fork lock like this:

Quick and effective when parking for short periods. Just turn the key, slide the lock out, and insert it through the wheel. And you don't have to worry about carrying it around. For longer periods I would also use a heavy duty chain on the rear wheel so the bike cannot be moved unless it was lifted off the ground completely.