meter for checking battery

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
can anyone recommend a cheapish digital meter for checking battery voltage please.....

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Blimey! that is cheap!lol Thanks:)

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
They're a bit like digital watches Eddie, they're all basically good and reliable, just marketed at many price levels and feature differences.

lemmy

Esteemed Pedelecer
The only thing I'd say you might need that is not on either of these meters is auto power-off.

I can't count the number of times I've run down battery (PP3) on my meter because I've put the prods across the battery terminals, seen that, yes they are or are not charged and proceeded to put them in either the charger or the device I wanted them for......and left the now forgotten charger on.

A week later, go to use it again and........

Given the price of PP3s, rechargeable or not, I'd have saved a great deal with auto-off.

I accept that other people may not have a doughnut for a brain :eek:

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
well I bought the maplins UM 30 even though it says battery required when I opened it it had one. so the battery's are approx £3 so the meter £3.50 how do they do it........

now settings: rightly or wrongly I tried the V~ 200? and on the 9v battery meter read 20 volts. I tried the wisper battery and it read 80 volts. so it seems like meter is doubling up, or I am on the wrong setting:confused: any ideas please!

a bike battery should read 42 volts when full? and what when empty?

onmebike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 3, 2010
West Essex
well I bought the maplins UM 30 even though it says battery required when I opened it it had one. so the battery's are approx £3 so the meter £3.50 how do they do it........

now settings: rightly or wrongly I tried the V~ 200? and on the 9v battery meter read 20 volts. I tried the wisper battery and it read 80 volts. so it seems like meter is doubling up, or I am on the wrong setting:confused: any ideas please!

a bike battery should read 42 volts when full? and what when empty?

Your using the AC setting? For DC use the V in the upper half of the dial, it has what looks like a broken/solid equal sign beside it, use range above expected reading For 36v use 200.
Regarding ebike battery when empty, controller cut off will be around 31volts give or take a tad on a 36v pack.
If you need any assistance with meter, Old timer Dave has my phone details, will be glad to help.

Tony

Last edited:

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Doh!...funny I tried the other settings:confused: working OK now, new 9V battery reading 9.6 v E bike not fully charged 38v so all OK now

I will charge it up and see then...so it should read 42 v?

Onmebike, I did PM you regards this, to try and avoid such public humiliation;)

onmebike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 3, 2010
West Essex
Doh!...funny I tried the other settings:confused: working OK now, new 9V battery reading 9.6 v E bike not fully charged 38v so all OK now

I will charge it up and see then...so it should read 42 v?

Onmebike, I did PM you regards this, to try and avoid such public humiliation;)
Sorry about the PM, never think of looking there.