Mid crank drive motor - what type of gears are best?

D

Deleted member 4366

You need to be very careful when buying a bike with a crank-drive and small wheels. Often, the necessary large chainwheel isn't fitted (or even available), which makes the gearing so low that it's impractical to pedal, unless you like to go everywhere dead slow.

The other problem you need to look out for is motor run-on. All these motors run on for a bit after you stop pedalling, which messes up gear-changing, especially on the hub gears that won't change gear if there's any pressure on the chain. My preference would be for derailleur gears. Forget about Nuvinci CVT. It's too heavy, though it solves all the gear-changing problems.

Personally, i can't see any advantage in using a crank-drive on a bike with small wheels. I think a hub-motor would be a much more sensible solution. it's simpler, lighter and will have all the power and torque you need.

Not many folding bikes can be wheeled when folded.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
my preference is for a hub gear if you live in a very hilly area, otherwise, 2-speed SRAM Automatix. No grease, no chain coming off, no need for any looking after and in the case of the Automatix, no adjustment, no cable either, totally automatic.

Kelly P

Pedelecer
Mar 21, 2016
Thanks all - super interesting reading.

I tested a Freego Folding Light last weekend, I was impressed with it and this weekend I'm trying the Kuo+ to compare. Both are hub motors, the Freego has 3 speed hub gears vs a 7 speed derailleur.

D

Deleted member 4366

With a hub-motor, either gears will be fine, both have advantages and disadvantages.

Kuorider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2014
Check the battery charging /removal arrangement for the Freego, it's an in frame battery. The Kuo battery slips off quickly and has a neat folding handle. this also reduces the carry weight of the bike. Both are good bikes so it's down to personal preference. My Kuo has completed 2 problem free years.

Reactions: Kelly P

Kelly P

Pedelecer
Mar 21, 2016
Check the battery charging /removal arrangement for the Freego, it's an in frame battery. The Kuo battery slips off quickly and has a neat folding handle. this also reduces the carry weight of the bike. Both are good bikes so it's down to personal preference. My Kuo has completed 2 problem free years.
The Freego battery is removable.
I tested both today and I really enjoyed both. I prefer the hub gears but the fold seemed less cumbersome on the Kuo+, and I was able to tip it and roll it when folded... So I think I'm going to go ahead with the Kuo+ :).