Mid drive kit with 15ah rack battery best place to buy?

tapash

Pedelecer
Apr 28, 2015
I want to build a 20" folding with mid drive kit with 15ah rack battery. my first choice is jetstream, which is very hard to find for cheap. So I thought I would go for dahon mu uno, single speed, 9kg. With motor and battery weight would be 18kg max. Which is very good considering battery and portability of the bike.

Can anyone suggest a reputable place to get the kit please? I don't mind getting it from China, if it becomes economical at the end.

D

Deleted member 4366

Don't forget that the gearing on your average mid-drive is too low for a bike with 20" wheels. Make sure that you get the right chainwheel.

Reactions: tapash

tapash

Pedelecer
Apr 28, 2015
Don't forget that the gearing on your average mid-drive is too low for a bike with 20" wheels. Make sure that you get the right chainwheel.
Good point. Thanks. So, any recommend site for buying? What are complication or things to consider if bought from China?

Ps: if I managed to get hold of jetstream then I don't need to think about chainwheel right?

D

Deleted member 4366

Standard Dahon gearing is 11T/53T. Standard Bafang BBS01 is 44T. People are selling adaptors to convert it. I think there's also issues with the chain line, which will be worse with a big chainwheel. I haven't used one, so I don't know how bad it is. Nothing is straightforward. You need to do your homework.

IMHO a Q100 is the best motor for a Dahon, but it's a tight squeeze to get it in because the very stiff rear frame resists springing. A standard 36v 328 rpm Q100 will do about 18 mph. You'd need a 7 speed DNP freewheel, so you'll lose one gear unless you start with a used 7 speed Dahon. A 328 rpm Q100C just fitted in my Jetsream, which allows you to keep the standard gearing.

Whatever kit you get, you have to plan how to fit the battery and controller. Then you have to think about what to do with the wires at the fold. As I said before, fitting a kit to a folding bike can be tricky. It's much easier to get a ready made one.

Stalkingcat

Pedelecer
Jan 24, 2015
I'm in the middle of building some 22" bmx wheels for my jetstream. They just about fit the frame and forks. No idea how its going to ride but should be fun.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
tapash works in Tottenham Court Road, no nice bit of bike is going to last long lashed to a lamp post leave alone a nice Blue Label Pony.
Worse than the risk of theft is the risk of water damage. He has no access to a bike shelter and he does 18 miles a day, 5,000 miles a year.
Forget about which motor or battery, the ideal bike for him has to be waterproofed enough to last 15,000 miles with minimal maintenance in rains and dust without appearing to be expensive and light enough to be carried up 2 flights of stairs by his wife.

Last edited:

Stalkingcat

Pedelecer
Jan 24, 2015
My Jetstream was chained to a post in Paris for 3 yrs, come rain, snow and sunshine. Replace anything quick release with security torx bolts and waterproof the controller to the max.

infact, replace ALL the bolts with security torx bolts.

Reactions: trex

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
the Mu Uno weighs 11.3kgs and without suspension.
Not a good choice for 18 miles a day.
You can buy the CD kit BBS01 15A 250W or 18A350W with 15AH rack battery from woosh, price about £650.
http://wooshbikes.co.uk/?cdkit

tapash

Pedelecer
Apr 28, 2015
the Mu Uno weighs 11.3kgs and without suspension.
Not a good choice for 18 miles a day.
You can buy the CD kit BBS01 15A 250W or 18A350W with 15AH rack battery from woosh, price about £650.
http://wooshbikes.co.uk/?cdkit
Thanks. . I would be v happy to buy from woosh. But i thought there is no listing of rack battery!!?? Is there a option? Specially 15ah battery with suitable rack for 20" folder??

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
they have a lot of rack battery kits - probably on their website next week. They are the ones fitted to their Petite.

tapash

Pedelecer
Apr 28, 2015
my only concern is if a 15AH battery would fit on a rack of 20inch folder, or if woosh would have a suitable rack to fit!!!???

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
the Petite has 24" wheels, its rack is adjustable but you have to ask them to be sure that it will suit your bike.