Mirror suggestions please

allen-uk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2010
I'm a great fan of mirrors, and of Oldtimer's 'Blackburn' in particular. Very little vibration, good rear image, and I think it sticks out a few inches further than the one originally linked by flecc.

Didn't fit my Wisper 905 bars, but rather than reaming out the metal from the bars, I went for the easier answer of losing a bit of plastic from the mirror mount. Works fine, no movement.

Allen.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Didn't fit my Wisper 905 bars, but rather than reaming out the metal from the bars, I went for the easier answer of losing a bit of plastic from the mirror mount. Works fine, no movement.
It's the same with the CatEye BM300G model Allen, and the same two solutions. It's because these type are made for drop handlebar use where the bars are larger diameter.

For other handlebar types the insert design is much slimmer as on the CatEye BM500G:

cogs

Pedelecer
Sep 3, 2008
Go to Kinetics website and look at the Busch & Muller mirror range. I have had one for about 6 years and its brill. Not the cheapest, but well made and a bit like Heiniken lager:)

Last edited:

CeeGee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 4, 2009
Weybridge, UK
Who needs an old fashioned mirror - break it and you get seven years bad luck.
Everybody needs one of these:
Cerevellum
They will cost a tiny bit more than conventional mirrors though. (a mere £155 approx).

Colin

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Who needs an old fashioned mirror - break it and you get seven years bad luck.
Everybody needs one of these:
Cerevellum
They will cost a tiny bit more than conventional mirrors though. (a mere £155 approx).

Colin
Don't know why the SatNav people don't market optional micro cameras, either wired or wireless, for their SatNavs, since these would bring extra income and cut the cost of such as the above application. Some cars have built in SatNavs with a rear camera in lieu of rear parking sensor sounders, the Nissan Qashqai Tekna for example.

CeeGee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 4, 2009
Weybridge, UK
Don't know why the SatNav people don't market optional micro cameras, either wired or wireless, for their SatNavs, since these would bring extra income and cut the cost of such as the above application. Some cars have built in SatNavs with a rear camera in lieu of rear parking sensor sounders, the Nissan Qashqai Tekna for example.
It is OK combing SatNav and reversing camera on a single screen - you don't need the SatNav whilst reversing into a parking space. However in normal forward travel you need to be able to see your route on the SatNav and the ability to see what is behind you at the same time, and all of the time.

Colin

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I don't use SatNav view usually, just voice instructions since I think that safer than staring continuously at a screen instead of the road ahead. That's what made me think of it in rear mirror terms, but as you say, for the screen fixated that would be no good.

timidtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 19, 2009
Cheshire
GambiaGOES.blogspot.com
They would definitely be ok with twistgrips Tom, only necessary to cut the end cap off the rubber grip as I advised at the beginning.

Thanks - my fault, I only joined in half way through! Just tried to order a couple from Wiggle but they only seemed able to sell one at a time ... I will persevere!:)
Cateyes arrive. Remove outer end of twist grip (taking care to use Joyce's bike as testing ground.) Peer inside handlebar and see a small rectangular slot in the end of the twist grip. B*th*r and dr*t! Rawlplugish end of mirror will not pass through slot. Retire to house to eat cake and try to explain to Joyce why her beloved bike is both mirrorless and wounded ... HELP!! :confused:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Never seen that before, very odd, I take it that the rectangular slot is just in the twistgrip end and not the handlebar. Either way, it should drill or file out ok to allow the mirror stub entry.

A few handlebars with thicker tube material have necessitated drilling out also.