Mistral Vs Sunlova

rgardiner

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 24, 2009
Hi all,

I have been looking around the reviews sections of particularly affordable bicycles, and had prety much decided that I was goingto buy a Synergie Mistral. But then by some weird trick of google, I came upon the Sunlova site Sunlova Home Page and spotted their SL-MTB26BL. This bike (along with being cheaper) has a 250W brushless motor as opposed to the 200W brushed motor (if I am right) on the Mistral. However it has a 8.5amp instead of 10amp battery, so the overall power may be the same? Both are 36V. The brushless motor however should have less resistence when pedaling if the battery goes dead.

My real reason and question I guess is, has anyone bought or does anyone know off the Sunlova? There are many glowing reviews on here for the Mistral. I havent seen any so far for the Sunlova

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The Sunlova bikes have only recently appeared and little is known about them. However, I'm always very suspicious of any company that also sells illegal electric pavement scooters and other such junk, so better the devil that's known.

Don't take any notice of the 200 and 250 watt ratings, they are not the motor powers but just legal niceties, all bike motors capable of more, sometimes very much more to as much as over 700 watts.

The 200 watt is the permissable rating in British law, the 250 watt rating in EU law, neither existing in the real world. Bikes only having that much actual power wouldn't be much good to anyone.

fishingpaul

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 24, 2007
Hi all,

I have been looking around the reviews sections of particularly affordable bicycles, and had prety much decided that I was goingto buy a Synergie Mistral. But then by some weird trick of google, I came upon the Sunlova site Sunlova Home Page and spotted their SL-MTB26BL. This bike (along with being cheaper) has a 250W brushless motor as opposed to the 200W brushed motor (if I am right) on the Mistral. However it has a 8.5amp instead of 10amp battery, so the overall power may be the same? Both are 36V. The brushless motor however should have less resistence when pedaling if the battery goes dead.

My real reason and question I guess is, has anyone bought or does anyone know off the Sunlova? There are many glowing reviews on here for the Mistral. I havent seen any so far for the Sunlova
I would go for the mistral they are now an established supplier,i think they can also be deresricted to give a little extra boost,and buyers seem to be happy with them,if you buy the sunlova it could be anything from reasonable to useless.

rgardiner

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 24, 2009
Thanks for your input guys. I just ordered a Mistral. I'll post my opinions to the review section when it arrives.

Rod Tibbs

Pedelecer
Jun 10, 2008
My Mistral was already derestricted when I picked it up. In any event I understand they are relatively easy to de-restrict. Hope you get as much fun out of yours as I have had from mine.

Rod