Modification for those with limited or no leg movement

Griff

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 20, 2015
After being unfortunate enough to have lost my right leg and require a prosthesis for this side, I have not been able to use a conventional two wheel bike since but I have recently found electric bikes which have got me back in the saddle again after a 16 year absence.

My problem is that I can only pedal with my left leg, my right cannot produce any effort and so had to find some method of resting my right without my left leg having to constantly lift the weight of my right.

I have a toe clip fitted to the left pedal to both push and pull with.

What I have done is to make an adaptor which screws into the centre of the main chain wheel which is tapped to take the pedal thread.

As this is on the centre of rotation, as the crank revolves the pedal remains in one position and acts as a foot rest for my right side.

I have two bikes, an AS Bikes folder and a Volt Alpine X, both modified in the same manner.

This mod along with twist grip/thumb throttles gets me underway quite easily and able to enjoy cycling once again.

Have to plan ahead and get my left foot down first when I stop!

Just sharing in case anyone should be in a similar situation.

image.jpeg

Regards.

Griff.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Great solution Griff. We have at least two other members with one leg off, but I haven't seen either posting recently.

Griff

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 20, 2015
For a little more information on how it fits together.

My chain wheels are the type which fit onto a square ended crank axle and were held in place with the standard headed screw, this is discarded.

The aluminium adaptor has an outside diameter just small enough to slide into the core diameter of the crank puller thread.

The adaptor then has a drilled and counterbored hole to take a hexagon socket head capscrew, this then firmly locks the adaptor against the chain wheel recess as did the original screw.

As it happens the hole in the adaptor to clear the capscrew head is the same diameter as is required for the 9/16 x 20 pedal thread tap.

The holes in the adaptor body are to allow a tommy bar to be inserted for when the pedal is fitted/removed and prevent it rotating against the spanner.

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
Griff,
I can just see it.
You park the bike up and another cyclist notices it and spends ages trying to work out how you pedal the machine