mods (e.g. drop bars) for more aero ride position?

coops

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 18, 2007
Manchester U.K.
Yes, I'm finding the same here beeps - very comfortable & relaxed feel but with excellent steering control too - with hands on sides feels like a steering wheel, quite apt on a Torq! The different hand positions feedback as different riding styles too - relaxed, cruising along or active. Very adaptable & have enhanced my whole riding experience - I can see why you've stuck with them for so long and its good to know they can help with upper body strength, thats also an issue for me.

It seems Giant use the same grips I'm using: link

although mine are the same greenish grey on the main padded area and dark grey around the edge.

and found a link with a clearer image of your type of ergo grip (when clicked to zoom image).

Stuart.

Beeping-Sleauty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 12, 2006
Colchester, Essex
Yes, I'm finding the same here beeps - very comfortable & relaxed feel but with excellent steering control too - with hands on sides feels like a steering wheel, quite apt on a Torq! The different hand positions feedback as different riding styles too - relaxed, cruising along or active. Very adaptable & have enhanced my whole riding experience - I can see why you've stuck with them for so long and its good to know they can help with upper body strength, thats also an issue for me.

It seems Giant use the same grips I'm using: link

although mine are the same greenish grey on the main padded area and dark grey around the edge.

and found a link with a clearer image of your type of ergo grip (when clicked to zoom image).

Stuart.
Yep thems the ones, i'd buy them again.

i'm glad these bars are working out for you Stuart, it's a lot of fiddling around to get any sort of bars right and i've tried everything from cow-horns to courier cut-downs in the last 40 years.

first saw these butterflys in Holland, the owner let me have a go, i was hooked in about 60 seconds.

i like being able to ride with just one hand, either hand and i like being able to stand up straight in the pedals for a stretch, i particularly like being able to under-hold the front set for pulling hard and the long straight arm crouch for rapid descent. You'll find your balance improves too as you get more confident with the extra control.

also the loop helps with just manhandling the bike around, turning it upside down, walking it around on the back wheel in small spaces. as you said, it's a bit like a steering wheel.

best,
beeps

JohnInStockie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2006
Stockport, SK7
Hi Guys

Could you post some piccies please of your bars? Torq as well Stuart if you have some :)

Thanks

John

coops

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 18, 2007
Manchester U.K.
Hi John,

Beeps posted pics of his earlier in the thread and unfortunately I don't have a camera, though I think they suit the Torq: I also treated my bars to some 'specialized bar phat 4.5mm' - 4.5mm thick gel inserts designed for drop bars but fit the curves of the trek bars well, with (black) textured cork tape to wrap over the inserts - the gel & tape extends fully all the way from the end of the grips to almost the bar-clamp at the centre. :) very comfy too!

You can almost picture it, I'm sure! ;)

Stuart.

Beeping-Sleauty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 12, 2006
Colchester, Essex
Good pix HarryB, your bars look great, but then i would say that... would'nt i,

as for the brake lever extensions,....i knew these would be difficult to find, sorry 'bout that,

you could try this guy,

Unicycle.UK.com - Product Page - "Delta XT Style Brake Lever Extender"

he told me i had bought the last pair & couldn't get any more, but i'm sure if enough people asked he' would find some somewhere.

the last pair listed on eBay, perhaps try a email see if he can get any more, he is obviously selling lots of Tektro stuff.

New Tektro MTB Bike Brake Lever Extension Blue - eBay (item 360057657614 end time Jun-11-08 07:29:41 PDT)

these are the same as the pink ones in my earlier photo, at least Tektro is still involved so there must be a part number, i'll see if i can track it down

in the meantime, i'll keep looking,

best
Beeps
Seasons' Greetin's Peeps,

it's been a while i know.... but i finally tracked down the Tektro Brake Extension Levers,

hope this helps anyone still looking.

best,
beeps

bogmonster

Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2008
Seasons' Greetin's Peeps,

it's been a while i know.... but i finally tracked down the Tektro Brake Extension Levers,

hope this helps anyone still looking.

best,
beeps
Wish I had seen this thread before. I have recently bought some butterfly bars and will be fitting this weekend. Might be interested in those extension levers. Please PM me with a price if you have some spares you are willing to sell.

Cheers, BM.

essexman

Pedelecer
Dec 17, 2007
cb11
I love my comfort bars most of the time. :D

I miss drops a little when descending

I miss them lots and lots when i'm cycling in wind and rain.:( I just want to hunch down on my drops and let it all blow over me.