Momentum Bike video just out

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Also nice to see someone else making use of the SRAM Automatix rear hub.

I notice that one is the freewheel version not the version with the coaster or roller brake. Having use the coaster version I think I now prefer the freewheel and just use your regular V or disk brakes. Probably more suitable to flatter terrains although with electric assist probably all you need.

No cables just auto changing up and down when you cross the 10-12 mph thresh hold depending on how its set :p

Regards

Jerry

Last edited:

SarahJane

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 15, 2013
The Kentish Alps
Ooh, nice to know I'm still part of the 'younger market'!
I'm just back from a cycling holiday in the Netherlands with my Momentum Model T. It went really well (as it did in the rolling terrain of Charente, and does in the surprisingly hilly countryside of my part of Kent) but no-one gave it a second glance among all the Dutch bikes, electric and otherwise. They were all fascinated by my partner's (non-electric) hybrid with straight bars, in fact one lad nearly rode into me because his head was turned almost all the way round to get an eyeful.
The simplicity of the Model T was one of the selling points for me - no fishing for gears and finding the wrong one, no throttle to catch accidentally, just an immediately instinctive ride. I even had the e-bike grin last week in a thunderstorm with my shoes full of water.

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
Interesting to compare the riding positions on the 2 bikes when they were riding together.

The mountain/hybrid rider had his arms straight & the girl on the sit-up-and-beg had hers bent.

Upshot was their back angles were about the same.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
Beautifully made video and for a moment, I was seduced by a quite convincing argument for the idea of 'less is more' - now hands up who would a buy an electric two speed bike without suspension?

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Stick a couple of big apple tyres on it :p

Jerry

billadie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2010
Tewkesbury
Beautifully made video and for a moment, I was seduced by a quite convincing argument for the idea of 'less is more' - now hands up who would a buy an electric two speed bike without suspension?
I might. I was very impressed with the Model T at Bristol. Wouldn't mind trying it on the road. I do 24 miles most days on reasonably flat road. I am not sure it would prove as robust as my Smarta, but it would be lighter. I only use 2 gears most of the time 5 and 8 on a Nexus hub, but I would miss the throttle on major roundabouts.