Monkeylectric Wheel Light Display

Alex728

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 16, 2008
Ipswich
cool but I think this German dude summed up the practicalities..

Super! Nur nicht kaufbar: Wenn dich nicht zuerst die Polizei aufhält und dein Bike beschlagnahmt, wirst du 100pro erstmal von Neidern oder Deppen auf der Straße verdroschen und/oder es wird geklaut und kaputtgemacht. Aber so zum rumzeigen bei Freunden in der Wohnung drin ist es echt ganz cool!
basically he's saying its not practical - either (presumably under German traffic law) the cops will confiscate the bike for being a traffic violation (distracting other road users) or chavs/jealous people will trash the expensive display. He does concede it is cool if you have a safe place to ride and store the bike..

Tim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2006
London
We had a play with a couple of these last year, it was looking like a goer until the pound dropped so badly against the dollar. They seemed to work better on 26-inch wheel bikes, rather than 700C, but it was hard to tell from a riding position ;)

Lloyd fitted them to his downhill bike at a couple of events last Winter and they caused quite a stir. People couldn't understand what they were seeing.

Tim Snaith
50cycles electric bikes

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The problem I see with a message like the one on the video is that only someone travelling at the same speed alongside could read it. The rest of the world would only see the odd word or two.

In gadget terms it's a wonderful device though.

fcurran

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 23, 2007
Bath
www.powabyke.com
Agreed it is totally unpractical, over priced, probably dangerous (you would still need front and rear lights) but all the same damn cool!

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
The problem I see with a message like the one on the video is that only someone travelling at the same speed alongside could read it. The rest of the world would only see the odd word or two.

In gadget terms it's a wonderful device though.
The retail version has preset patterns, to put your own message in there requires the commercial version which in their words is far more expensive.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The retail version has preset patterns, to put your own message in there requires the commercial version which in their words is far more expensive.
You've persuaded me that I don't need it. :D

Dynamic Position

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2009
You could offset the cost of biking by advertising? Perhaps employers might fully fund the cost of biking if it proved to be effective?