more bikes on road

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Once the roads get busy again with vehicles the bikes will disappear again until the next plague.

• Agree
Reactions: D C and Artstu

Michael Price

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2018
I think a lot of the bike sthat have appeared - whether new or 'rejuvenated' - will end up back in the shed

But once people have got used to the idea then some will remain as a part of the routine. This should be especially true in areas where there are roads and paths where people can cycle without feeling intimidated by other road users once the roads get busy again
And hopefully some people will be thinking about how they can introduce their bike into their daily commute - thus reducing the number of cars on the road - which in turn may encourage 'people' to think about improving the roads for cyclists - and the trains!!

Reactions: E-Wheels

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Since the lock down roads haven't become safer for cycling, the fatality rate is currently about double the usual rate.
For the most part the worst drivers are still prevalent and from what I see speeding & lack of due care at / approaching junctions / roundabouts.
Latest met figures show an increase of speeding during lockdown with over 2k being prosecuted.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: trevor brooker

Tarka

Pedelecer
Jan 29, 2019
Two things I have noticed during my driving trips to the shops during lockdown.

Many car drivers being a lot more aggressive/fast.
Cyclists wobblying around on old bikes that spent the last 20 years in a shed.

Not an ideal combination.

• Agree
Reactions: trevor brooker

Michael Price

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2018
Since the lock down roads haven't become safer for cycling, the fatality rate is currently about double the usual rate.
For the most part the worst drivers are still prevalent and from what I see speeding & lack of due care at / approaching junctions / roundabouts.
Latest met figures show an increase of speeding during lockdown with over 2k being prosecuted.
I can believe that!
However, it could be for several reasons - such as people being on bikes when they haven't ridden for several years, much increased number of people on the roads on bikes - or, more likely, people in cars thinking they are Lewis Hamilton because the road is empty
So - have you a link to something that gives more info - interesting to look at the cause of the incidents
Thanks

E-Wheels

Pedelecer
Aug 16, 2016
I can believe that!
However, it could be for several reasons - such as people being on bikes when they haven't ridden for several years, much increased number of people on the roads on bikes - or, more likely, people in cars thinking they are Lewis Hamilton because the road is empty
So - have you a link to something that gives more info - interesting to look at the cause of the incidents
Thanks

Reactions: Michael Price

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I can believe that!
Thanks
Not generally.
One incident not far away a 78 yo rider in critical condition, a local man arrested for dangerous driving. I would say most will be down to poor driving / lack of due care & attention. I think a lot of us have seen speeding more then usual and some of it mor then excessive.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
It doesn't matter how wobbly or erratic a cyclist looks, vehicles should be taking this in to account and progress accordingly with care, problem at the mo is that most out on the road currently don't have a brain. Even when out in my car I see cars speeding, tail gating and quite a few taking junctions to fast or even not stopping at junctions until the last minute. Even a few blatantly passing Red light signals as no other vehicle is about.

The met figures for speeding is up 80% with far fewer vehicles on the road, they are chancers and think it's a free for all and ok to do so.

nigelbb

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2019
There were definitely more cars on essential journeys yesterday when we went out. Today we are joining them as the chain snapped on my Woosh-converted Boardman hybrid. It was the connecting link that broke. The last time I put a chain on was over 35 years ago on my Norton Commando but obviously chain technology has changed in the interim & you don't have a simple chain link any more.
I've ordered a new chain & chain tool from Halfords & am just waiting for the text to confirm that I can do the Collect portion of Click & Collect then to make my essential car journey. It's currently raining so I'm unlikely to see many cyclists on my journey.

it is i footpump

Pedelecer
Jul 6, 2018
Far more cyclists about, many families with young children riding together.

noticed quite a few who have not ridden for a while, And some have defiantly purchased brand new bikes, Weather is crap at the mo so dodging showers

nigelbb

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2019
There were definitely more cars on essential journeys yesterday when we went out. Today we are joining them as the chain snapped on my Woosh-converted Boardman hybrid. It was the connecting link that broke. The last time I put a chain on was over 35 years ago on my Norton Commando but obviously chain technology has changed in the interim & you don't have a simple chain link any more.
I've ordered a new chain & chain tool from Halfords & am just waiting for the text to confirm that I can do the Collect portion of Click & Collect then to make my essential car journey. It's currently raining so I'm unlikely to see many cyclists on my journey.
Halfords didn't text me & there is no answer when I call. I'll try calling again tomorrow.

Incidentally I was grateful when the chain snapped that my e-bike has a cadence sensor rather than a torque sensor as I was still able to cycle home under power just by keeping the pedals turning.

BazP

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 8, 2017
Sheffield
If the number of cyclists on the road has doubled then, per capita, the number of accidents has remained the same. I would guess that the number has more than doubled therefor the accident rate would be lower.
I agree that speeding rate has gone up but wonder, as there are 80% less cars on the road, if the car accident rate, or road deaths, has declined.

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
  • :D
Reactions: Nealh

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
You might not want to know :eek:, and not really suitable to put in to text on this forum.
A derogatory sexual term used to by younger men aimed at older women, try googling it.

• :D
Reactions: Amoto65