More creaky cranks - on a Quando

BertYardbrush

Pedelecer
Jul 29, 2008
Chesterfield, Derbyshire
Reading Flecc's post on the original 'creaky crank' thread, I see that he had problems after changing the chainset. I have changed my chainset - to a TA 65T. And I now have creaky cranks despite spreading the grease like lard on fried bread. (That was really tasty in the 1950's - not so sure about now).

I'd like to know how to cure my creaks. I've removed the chain guard bracket completely and I suspect it is movement of the bearing housing rather than bearing wear - they seem to be fine.

Finally, I've now got TA cranks for which you need a special crank puller. Any ideas on that one or should I just take it to my excellent LBS.

Yes, I'm up the creak without a pedal remover.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
If after changing the chainset the creak started, I rather doubt it will be the bottom bracket, more likely the cranks not securely home. I'm not familiar with the TA cranks, but for a one off removal and re-tighten the LBS seems to be the best bet.

There's mixed opinions on using grease on the tapers, some swear by it and others say never. I've no fixed opinion on it, but I've personally never done, and have had no problem getting cranks off again.

HarryB

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2007
London
With all this talk about creaky cranks reminded me of my experience with my Torq. It too had a terrible creak that I was sure was coming from the crank. I thought I would try to change the pedals first even though the creak was clearly from the crank. Problem solved as it turned out to be those cheap and nasty pedals. Anybody else had this experience?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yes I did Harry, and not only on the Torq. I had exactly the same with my Lafree earlier on.

JamesC

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 1, 2007
Peterborough, UK
Yes, it was the pedals on my Torq as well.

James

BertYardbrush

Pedelecer
Jul 29, 2008
Chesterfield, Derbyshire
Come to think of it, I did have creaking before I changed the cranks. I did change the pedals - to a set of half aluminium/ half plastic pedals.

I'll try putting a bit of lubrication on the folding points on the pedals.
Otherwise I'll have to upgrade to better folding pedals.

[it was dripping on cold fried bread - not lard.]

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
[it was dripping on cold fried bread - not lard.]
Yes it was, and we used to eat things like that in copious quantities. The amazing thing is that very few people were fat then despite all that bread fried in lard instead of toast, suet puddings, full cream milk etc

Now we no longer do that and are surrounded by "fat reduced" products and skimmed milk, but there's obese people everywhere. Very strange.

BertYardbrush

Pedelecer
Jul 29, 2008
Chesterfield, Derbyshire
Ah yes - but don't eat much of that stuff nowadays. And when did you last see laxative chocolate?

Anyway I've just been down to the shed and had a good look at the bike and I think the source of the creak is the join of the crank to the bottom bracket. I may have not tightened the crank enough for fear of over tightening. I've just put a bit more torque on it it it doesn't seem so bad. I think a trip to the bike shop will sort it. And it'll give me a chance to have a look at the Dahon Matrix.

Got a 'nice bike' on the way home tonight - she was only about 10. On Wednesday I had an offer of £1.50 for the bike - he was about 12!

rog_london

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 3, 2009
Harrow, Middlesex
Yes it was, and we used to eat things like that in copious quantities. The amazing thing is that very few people were fat then despite all that bread fried in lard instead of toast, suet puddings, full cream milk etc

Now we no longer do that and are surrounded by "fat reduced" products and skimmed milk, but there's obese people everywhere. Very strange.
Not THAT strange! Junk food, boozing, sitting in front of the TV or the computer, eating at any time of day rather than at specific mealtimes, never walking (or cycling) anywhere.

Look in any MacDonald's - full of fat parents and fat kids. Start 'em young, and they never grow up knowing any better.

Rog.