more of this please

onthe-edge

Pedelecer
Apr 28, 2018
portsmouth
Hi all, I tend to do most of my riding on trails and tracks etc. well away from main roads. There are times when I have no choice of course.
I'm lucky enough to have lots of bike-trails , tracks, and shore line to ride near where I live, but I have to use the main roads to get to them.
There are plenty of shared paths also available to get around town and to reach the more out of the way places but they don't seem to work very well,
and it seems to be every man for himself on most of them with neither biker nor pedestrian being sure where they should be when using them.
That's why I was so impressed to see this recently that I stopped to take a picture. Is this commonplace in major towns or are we behind the times a bit around here ?

View attachment 29271

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
The attachment won't open for me, but I do agree - shared use paths are a diabolical fudge that suits no one. It just seems to be a box ticking exercise, bung a bit of paint on the tarmac, put up some blue signs = job done.

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
So, there you go, bit of white paint and a blue sign that pedestrians (if there are any) won't see 'cos they'll be too busy looking at their 'phone's as they wander into the bike lane. So it's left to the cyclist to ride defensively (5mph) lest he/she be lambasted for inconsiderate behaviour. Not to mention the,'Cyclists Dismount Here' sign at every junction, bridge or driveway.
It's interesting though that parking your bike where you have seems to have persuaded the passing cars to leave a reasonable cycle passing distance between themselves and the curb.;)

onthe-edge

Pedelecer
Apr 28, 2018
portsmouth
As you rightly point out it seems a simple enough task to add a white line and a blue sign, but this seems to be the only path that has this feature in my area. Ironic that it's also one of the quietest.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Altnough it fizzles out into a very narrow path further back, we have this impressive one in my area which actually consists of ten or twelve various lanes, dependent on the way you count them.

Behind the fence and hedge on the left are two tram lines. Then there's the pedestrian path and two way cycle lane with grass and scrub border. Beyond there's a dual carriageway with two lanes in each direction, with a scrub central reservation and a scrub boundary on the far side. Then beyond that is a service road with a parking lane and drive through lane with a pavement.

Geoff Sleath

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 21, 2019
I hate cycle tracks which don't have the same priority as the roads they follow. I object to being required to give priority to car park exits, side roads etc when I'm following a main road. I've done many miles in the Netherlands and Flanders where cycle tracks have equal priority and that's how it should be here.

99% of my riding is on the road and has been for very many years and many 1000s of miles. Until cycle tracks are hugely improved (and without 'cyclists dismount' signs) that's how it'll continue. I don't ride on pavements normally so why should I be required to when the authorities, with little modifciation beyond a lick of paint, call them cycle tracks.

Geoff

anon4

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2017
GB
I hate cycle tracks which don't have the same priority as the roads they follow. I object to being required to give priority to car park exits, side roads etc when I'm following a main road. I've done many miles in the Netherlands and Flanders where cycle tracks have equal priority and that's how it should be here.

99% of my riding is on the road and has been for very many years and many 1000s of miles. Until cycle tracks are hugely improved (and without 'cyclists dismount' signs) that's how it'll continue. I don't ride on pavements normally so why should I be required to when the authorities, with little modifciation beyond a lick of paint, call them cycle tracks.

Geoff
Lol where is this? That's bloody stupid having to give way because you're in a bike lane, presuming you mean one that's actually part of the road? None of ours are like that in the Tyne and wear area, but we do have the problem of lanes that end in a way that puts you in a vulnerable position, especially ones in city centres. People also seem to think it's ok to park all over them which renders them useless! I'm ok with riding with traffic, unfortunately most drivers are impatient inconsiderate twats that will readily endanger your life to save 10 seconds, so it would be nice if I could actually use the cycle lane on the busier roads

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Lol where is this? That's bloody stupid having to give way because you're in a bike lane, presuming you mean one that's actually part of the road?
I think Geoff probably means the separated cycle tracks, where when one meets a side road of any sort, one has to stop and wait for the traffic using the side road, just as pedestrians do.

LithiumFan

Pedelecer
Jan 6, 2019
Herefordshire
I'm with Geoff. I too have cycled in NL and it's marvellous. I use the road wherever the cycle path makes you divert at roundabouts and have to give way to side roads. I only use the pavement occasionally when going up hills on winding roads with poor visibility as it's very scarey when drivers overtake even when there are double white lines. This has happened to me several times when accidents have been narrowly avoided. I do stop when I meet the occasional pedestrian.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Here I am banging on that we need more of these signs and what do I come across yesterday ?
On another path they've been deleted !!
View attachment 29531
Probably due to complaints. Pedestrian complaints on pavement issues tend to be treated more seriously than cyclist's interests, perhaps understandably since pavements were for pedestrians in the first instance.

Too often cyclists are their own worst enemies through riding far too fast on shared use paths. We see it in videos posted in here, members seeming to see nothing wrong in close passing walkers from behind at 15 to 20 mph.

Bike and pedelecs are quite silent, so that sort of pass can really scare people, even shock with the suddenness, making such passes thoughtless and ill mannered.

Reactions: onthe-edge and Nev

Ajax

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2008
Here in Cardif we have a number of major road walks with labled cycle paths. There's also red painted strips along the roads for cyclists. There are also areas just before trafic lights reserved as cyclists only, so that we are in clear view ahead of the traffic and not caught out by left turning vehicles. I actually thought this was the norm, not the exception.

LithiumFan

Pedelecer
Jan 6, 2019
Herefordshire
In Malvern town centre we have just one set of traffic lights with an advance stop area for cyclists but a few weeks ago I was behind a police car that calmly drove straight into into it at the red light. I couldn't get my camera out in time unfortunately!

Tarka

Pedelecer
Jan 29, 2019
Shared paths are hard work, especially canal tow paths. Walkers with headphones can't hear a bell, dog walkers with no control of their pooch, judging which side to pass on, kids having no concept of cycles, the horrified and suprised look on faces when they eventually see you etc.

I'm very considerate and slow but holiday time does bring out the great uneducated!

• Agree
Reactions: LeighPing

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011

Geoff
Totally agree.

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
Shared paths are hard work, especially canal tow paths. Walkers with headphones can't hear a bell, dog walkers with no control of their pooch, judging which side to pass on, kids having no concept of cycles, the horrified and suprised look on faces when they eventually see you etc.

I'm very considerate and slow but holiday time does bring out the great uneducated!
You should try the Swansea Bay cycleway. Originally it was the bed of the Mumbles Railway but has now been tarred over and holiday makers think that it is the 'Promenade', despite a white line the whole length with the usual cycle and pedestrian markings.
Walkers just do not seem to appreciate the situation, particularly if they walk on to it from somewhere along its length. Though I have to say that they seem to be learning and I have had less conflicts this summer.

Reactions: therealvicz

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
I’ve still got a sore throat 24 hours later after the loudest shouting I’ve done since being a child.
Yesterday on a narrow towpath I came up behind a headphone zombie, bell not heard so I shouted “bike coming through” and again “BIKE” “BIKE” with my front wheel nearly touching here heal “FUDGEING BIKE” still nothing. 20ft further on (at walking speed) she moved slightly from the middle of the path, just enough for my front wheel only but it was enough to be noticed! After jumping out of her skin and to one side, I shouted some more about shared pathways and paying attention to what’s going on around you. For two pins I’d have gladly seen her in the canal :mad:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Even on shared paths or tow paths, pedestrians have right of way over vehicles (even cycles), you have to look at the recent case in London where the jay walking girl was hit by a cyclist. He was found 50% liable by the judge and incurred a very hefty legal bill of 6 figures, though it my be contested.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
We need an offence of 'walking without due care and attention': to include walkers looking at phones or with headphones that reduce their awareness of their environment. Not quite sure how to include people not actually walking, but standing right in the middle of the path looking at their phones.