More Pedelec Journeys..

lemmy

Esteemed Pedelecer
I've filmed rides around the Tamsin Trail in Richmond Park and another from Kingston town centre into my back garden finishing with a highly skilled :)rolleyes:) trip down my side path, ie I didn't fall off this time.

There's quite an amusing little encounter with some deer 10 mins or so into the Tamsin Trail ride. They actually exhibit a great deal more awareness of their own safety than do some of the pedestrians shown in Kingston :(

-> Tamsin Trail

-> Kingston/ New Malden

Tim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2006
London
Brilliant! Home turf captured beautifully - I used to cycle the Tamsin Trail on the first Agattu most evenings in Autumn 2007

steveindenmark

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 10, 2011
Lemmy,

You need an airzound horn on that bike and learn how to use it.

I think you must be more polite than I am or were you keeping a lid on it because the cameras were rolling?

Steve

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
I think your less annoyed on an ebike when people do step out infront of you. It doesn't take much effort to get back up to speed again and becasue cycles make no noise its very easy for pedestrians to forget your even there!

lemmy

Esteemed Pedelecer
I think you must be more polite than I am or were you keeping a lid on it because the cameras were rolling?
I am quite polite by nature though I do let rip occasionally. What I find if you do remonstrate with people is that even thouygh it's the road, they think that YOU are in the wrong.

Cysclists are a bit stateless, really. If you are in the road pedestrians walk right in front of you and cars don't want you there. If you go on the pavement, pedestrians don't want you there. Try to use bike lanes and cars are parked all over them, motor cycles use them, pedestrians use them.

I have a dream! One day cyclists will be will be free! They will be welcome on the roads and on the pavements! They will be welcome in the country and in the town! I have a dream that one day the nation will turn to its cyclists and say "you are welcome here!" I have a dream! :eek:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Response from motorists and pedestrians: :D

Lemmy has a nightmare! One day cyclists will be will be free! They will be welcome on the roads and on the pavements! They will be welcome in the country and in the town! He has a nightmare that one day the nation will turn to its cyclists and say "you are welcome here!" Lemmy has a nightmare!

PennyFarthing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 25, 2011
OMG I only watched the first 2 mins of the Kingston ride and I was laughing out loud (In shock) at how many people step RIGHT OUT in front of you! What you need is the bell I used to use cycling in London. Its called a chinese bell and you press it once and it gives a loud (and quite pretty) ring but it continues to turn around and around on its own after one press and it really makes people aware you are there. So far I haven't had to attach it to my Ebike yet but if I lived in Kingston I would have to. I felt your frustration when you went "UUUGGGH!". lol!

On a similar theme - recently in Kingston I heard about a dreadful accident where a pedestrian stepped out and did the two-step with a moped - the pedestrian then got flipped (not sure if by moped or moving car) from a moving car to moving car. It sounded horrific. So having seen your footage now I am not surprised this happened.

Last edited:

DBCohen

Pedelecer
May 2, 2007
Manchester
I am not sure a bell or horn would help that much. That sort of jaywalking is a particular London affliction (though Manchester City Centre seems to suffer to a lesser degree), and I have had it happen to me even when in the car. It's an ignorance/arrogance thing - notice how the people at 1:00 just wander out without even looking? The attitude seems to be driven that road users will have serious repercussions if they mow someone down, so the onus is on the road user to avoid doing so whatever the pedestrian does.

Another common problem is turning right at lights, even in a car - oncoming traffic seem to think it is fine to race through an amber or red even as you pull forward, having waited in the middle of the junction.