More questions

onmebike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 3, 2010
West Essex
Hi oldtimer,

Hi Oldtimer, I have to agree the Chinese have taken over much like the Japanese did years ago, they took the technology of the west, copied it , improved on it and did it at a fraction of the cost.
Years ago I used to buy from a company called Tandy, you may remember them. They traded under the name Radioshack in the USA as far as I recall.
They used to sell a series of video recorders under the Memorex brand name, a basic single speed model, an upgraded sp/lp model and a top of the range model which for the life of me I cannot remember its redeeming features. The only difference between the three models available was the remote control, the actual video recorders were identical internally.
Similarly the Victor company of Japan used to and probably still does, manufacture near every well known brand of electrical equipment available, JVC, Ferguson, Akai etc. As does Matsushita whom produce Panasonic and Technics to name a few.
So, Brand names hold little importance to me as they're mostly applied after the manufacturing process by the relevant importers.
A couple of years ago I purchased a Pentax digital slr camera. It was their first digital slr and got rave reviews. One month later Samsung released the identical camera under their name, but cheaper. Neither were the manufacturer.
I think its common practice, manufacturers produce a multitude of products and sell to the highest bidders who put their own name to them.
I'm now chomping at the bit to try my ebike out but we're 6ins deep in snow at the moment with more on the way. As soon as I get it outside I'll take some pics to post on here for everyones opinion. Its an unbranded bike but appears to be reasonable specs. I'm a little worried after reading that there are copycat versions of these bikes and their components. I have to wonder why anyone would go to the expense of setting up an industry to make inferior copies, are the copies in fact inferior? A friend of mine used to bring back clothes and handbags from Thailand, all copies but so good it was difficult to tell them from the originals. Some were even better than the original.
I'm going to have to study the workings of the forum features to make my posts more attractive, I don't even know how to add a quote to my post.
Thats about it for now, time for a cuppa. Cheers from me all.
Just a quick question before I go. Where do ebikes fall in the greater scale of things? They're not cycles as such, as in racing cycle, tourer, mountain bike etc. Neither are they motorcycles/mopeds. I also wonder at the term greener way to travel, how so? A cycle is green, add an electric motor and batteries that need charging and its no longer as green. Taking a bus is actually greener because the bus will still run irrespective of whether I use my ebike, so using my bike will add to my co2 footprint. Maybe I should return it for a refund. Course I will?

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
Taking a bus is actually greener because the bus will still run irrespective of whether I use my ebike, so using my bike will add to my co2 footprint. Maybe I should return it for a refund. Course I will?
You could use the same argument to say taking a bus is greener than riding a normal bike, they all release carbon in manufacturing.
For me the ebike is greener as I used to ride a motorbike to work as it's too far for a normal pushbike. I could take the train but they can't cope with demand already, if half the passengers started cycling they could reduce the number of trains and run a half decent service. Unfortunately if half the passengers started cycling there would be chaos on the roads. :D

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
As does Matsushita whom produce Panasonic and Technics to name a few.
Matsushita doesn't exist any more now.

A little while ago the decision was taken to use the most successful name and drop the Matsushita name, so the company is now named Panasonic Corporation.

Since then they have acquired the entire Sanyo company, who are their major battery manufacturing competitor, and that name exists separately at present.

In fact at one time not too long ago, the Dutch Philips company were the largest owner of Matsui Holdings (the Matsushita parent company) owning 40%, so it wasn't even as Japanese as it appeared.

JohnInStockie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2006
Stockport, SK7
...Where do ebikes fall in the greater scale of things? They're not cycles as such, as in racing cycle, tourer, mountain bike etc. Neither are they motorcycles/mopeds.
I think they are different dependant on the purpose being used for. Generally on here we have 2 types of users, Leisure and Commuting. For leisure purposes it adds to the cycling experience, allowing longer ranges, easier travel, and generally just a much more pleasurable experience.

For Commuting, its a different story where usually these bikes are as a replacement for the car. I work in an office, and need to look smart, be on time, and work odd hours, and so I need a reliable form of transport first and foremost. A normal bicycle could do it, but I need to carry all my tools with me, as well as a complete change of clothing, possibly files and a laptop, as well as lunch, e.t.c. and it would take longer and be more exerting so I would be tired before I started work after 11 miles in heavy congested traffic during rush hour. The ebike makes this less onerous and therefore more likely that I will ride at all. I would even try without the ebike tbh.

...I also wonder at the term greener way to travel, how so? A cycle is green, add an electric motor and batteries that need charging and its no longer as green. Taking a bus is actually greener because the bus will still run irrespective of whether I use my ebike, so using my bike will add to my co2 footprint. Maybe I should return it for a refund. Course I will?
Maybe a scheduled bus service would be greener in a one-off situation, but if all cyclist and car drivers started using buses then can you imagine how many buses and services we would need. And buses (at the mo) are not electric meaning that they use maybe 30% of their fuel in transportation, nevermind the raw materials to build / repair / maintain, and the associated distribution centres, part delivery e.t.c., it goes on.

Compare that to if everyone cycled on ebikes, the energy from home, allowing government control of supply and production, easier parts / production / distribution, e.t.c., so I would stay still far far greener.

John

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Compare that to if everyone cycled on ebikes, the energy from home, allowing government control of supply and production, easier parts / production / distribution, e.t.c., so I would stay still far far greener.

John
The only truly green transport is walking barefoot.

How green other methods are comparatively varies greatly with circumstances. Where I am, commuting by tram in the rush hour with 150 plus people in the tram is surely more green that 150 people riding their own e-bikes, and possibly as green as 150 people on normal bikes, given the extra input of today's not very green food that amount of exercise in this hilly area implies.

Beeping-Sleauty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 12, 2006
Colchester, Essex
Colchester...!

There is no such things as "not a risk spot" but some areas are less risky than others, I'm sure its less worse than Romford or Stratford or even Colchester. But yes, up here there is also the older criminal fraternity (up to and including your age group!) who use this region as a bolthole from London, dating back to the days of the 1960s and the Krays.. Some are still active, as well as the usual stuff such as smuggling drugs etc other gangs are targetting plant and machinery and other rural stuff for theft - whole families are at it from oldies to young men in their 20s! ......
Hah...! my trawling robot picked up on "Colchester", and upon inspecting the inclusion, i find Alex728...again, where's the luv Bro...? Nowt wrong with Colchester, tho it is a little shabby @ the moment & certainly not the town i came to 25 years ago, but, having also lived in Ipswich, where i consider the crime rate to be very high,

InstantAtlasâ„¢ Report

i would still make the same choice.

sorry Alex, .... you really should be more careful.

contented beeper.

Alex728

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 16, 2008
Ipswich
Hah...! my trawling robot picked up on "Colchester", and upon inspecting the inclusion, i find Alex728...again, where's the luv Bro...? Nowt wrong with Colchester, tho it is a little shabby @ the moment & certainly not the town i came to 25 years ago, but, having also lived in Ipswich, where i consider the crime rate to be very high,
TBH the towns/culture are fairly similar and I actually live in the "posh" bit of one of Ipswich's more notorious "estate" areas, about 20 minutes riding and I'm across the border into Manningtree (not that I have much reason to be there). Most of my old mates from Reading in fact got the two areas merged thought I had moved to Essex, until December 2006 when everyone in the world learnt where Ipswich was.

considering the above though, bear in mind that a major crime affecting a relatively small amount of people (such as the prostitute murders or the two nightclub shootings) can vastly increase the fear even amongst people who never go clubbing or even venture out after teatime..

Last edited: