Help! Motor has died (maybe!)

lmaolmao

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 30, 2023
Hi,

I installed a yosepower rear hub motor kit last year (350w kit). I absolutely loved it and it really helped me get back on a bike after being sick.

I stored my ebike over the winter. But didn't realise how damp it was.... The battery is registering as 40v but there is no response from the motor. The little computer thing works fine, registers a speed from the sensor in the motor, so I'm not sure what it is. No visible damage...

I will be attempting to open the hub at the weekend, but was wondering if any of you would know where to start. I have fully charged the battery and checked all the connectors.

Thanks.

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
What does your battery measure after charging? Should be around 41.7v.
It is unlikely that the motor has failed, they are pretty bullet proof.
We need more description of what is and isn't happening.

lmaolmao

Jan 30, 2023
Thanks for your response.

Everything works as you would expect, except there is no propulsion.

So the controller shows everything it is supposed to including speed when moving, battery reads around 40-41v (I can check when I pop out to the shed).

I have the thumb throttle installed and there is no response from that. And the pedal assist sensor is installed and there is no motor response from that either.

I've disconnected and reconnected all cables and they look clean and dry. Removed the battery and the pins all look dry. I can see no physical damage to any wires.

Thanks again

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
This is typical of a bike dumped in a damp cold shed, condensation sets in in on electrical components causing tracking/shorting. The issue could be controller or display affected. If moisture affects the 5v line then any Hall effect component can fail and cause no motion.

The only option is to fault diagnose manually and methodically.

One needs to disconnect all Hall effect items, so brakes . throttle and PAS.

To check the motor and controller work disconnect the display short the display connector (controller side) Red & Blue wires together and the motor should drive with no display (If a Kt controller one also has to short Black & Yellow).
If it works then reconnect the display and connect the Hall PAS back in and test to see if it works then disconnect, do the same for throttle and brakes.
If shorting the motor works and then nothing once the display is reconnected then assume a display fault.

If shorting the Red/Blue display connector wires does not produce power then the fault is either a duff motor hall or faulty controller, one can carry out Hall motor voltage fault testing and Mosfet controller fault testing on the bike using a meter. A half hour spent will tell you if one of these is the cause.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bonzo Banana

lmaolmao

Jan 30, 2023
Thanks for your help. It's given me a place to start. I won't be able to look until the weekend. But I really appreciate your help.

PC2017

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2017
Scunthorpe

PC2017

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2017
Scunthorpe
thanks for all your help, it was the controller.
I always grab a few spares from China, I like to swap out parts to narrow down the problems others tend to be more methodical & logical in their approach.

Reactions: harrys