Motor Position

fatts

Pedelecer
Dec 29, 2009
west wales
I am wondering why you see so very few bikes with motors mounted on the down tube where it would appear to be the ideal place for it like on the TGA I presume for manufactors hub motors are more cost efective rather than extra chain and sprocket and bits and bob or am I wrong in my thinking:(
many thanks
Fatts

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
That used to be popular many years ago, the TGA being one of the oldest designs of course, but Cyclone still have a kit of that type. One major objection is the potential illegality in all assist speed limited countries, since it's a difficult to regulate design compared to integrated chain drive units like the Panasonic. Another problem is the exposure to water spray in that position, Cyclone in particular suffering from damp and corrosion problems due to that. Chain guards are another problem, it not being easy to cover the twin chain drives.

As you say, hub motors are a simple and intrinsically neat solution to powering a bike so have tended to dominate since all the other methods were tried in earlier decades and mostly found wanting in various ways. The alternative of the sophisticated integrated chain drive systems like those from Panasonic, Yamaha and Sunstar are excellent, but of necessity expensive to produce.

prmedloc

Just Joined
Jul 6, 2010
Why do you think it's the ideal place? Assume just in terms of being descrete. Because otherwise it forces a custom frame, limits motor size, and would be difficult to replace wouldn't it?

Edit: misread as in the down pipe

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Why do you think it's the ideal place? Assume just in terms of being descrete. Because otherwise it forces a custom frame, limits motor size, and would be difficult to replace wouldn't it?
I have to disagree in these respects. The Cyclone and TGA kit versions fit on most standard bikes, versions are available to over 1000 watts plus twin motor option, and fitting is via tube clamps or a U shaped plate in the case of TGA. The centre of the bike is ideal in some respects, weight best there than directly over a wheel at one end, and the efficiency and flexibility of having drive through the gears for better steep hill climbing.