Motor still runs when I stop pedalling

PastyMan

Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2014
Truro, Cornwall
Happens occasionally, but becoming more frequent.
Applying a brake has no effect unless I hold it on for about 20 seconds then release.
Any ideas on the cause?
Is it simple to fix?

Thanks.

eZee Mk2 700c rear wheel conversion, 8 years old.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
If you've got a throttle it may be stuck on. Assuming normal brake sensors I'd have thought the brake should cut the motor even with throttle on, though. Maybe some fault in the controller?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Do you actually have brake sensors fitted ?

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
I have an ezee of similar age, not a problem I've ever had.
There will be a disc with magnets in the pedal axle somewhere. Does this turn with the pedals, is it tight to the shaft? Clutching at straws there 'cos if it was rotating on the shaft you'd get intermittant pas.
Can only suggest to try disconnecting brake sensors and throttle and see if it still happens.

You say ' Applying a brake has no effect unless I hold it on for about 20 seconds then release' so does the motor stop when you release the brake or after holding it on?
On my bike, there is no appreciable motor over run when I stop pedalling. Perhaps try cleaning all plugs, I know some of the ones mounted lower on the frame get cruddy. Careful though, some of those pins are really tiny.

PastyMan

Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2014
Truro, Cornwall
I have an ezee of similar age, not a problem I've ever had.
There will be a disc with magnets in the pedal axle somewhere. Does this turn with the pedals, is it tight to the shaft? Clutching at straws there 'cos if it was rotating on the shaft you'd get intermittant pas.
Can only suggest to try disconnecting brake sensors and throttle and see if it still happens.

You say ' Applying a brake has no effect unless I hold it on for about 20 seconds then release' so does the motor stop when you release the brake or after holding it on?
On my bike, there is no appreciable motor over run when I stop pedalling. Perhaps try cleaning all plugs, I know some of the ones mounted lower on the frame get cruddy. Careful though, some of those pins are really tiny.
Thanks, yes the motor will stop after a longer hold on the brake.
The motion sensor and disc seem ok. I think I'll try disconnecting the sensor (instructions did say fitting was optional, as you can always use the throttle) and see what happens just using the throttle.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
If the brakes don't prevent motor run on the one would suspect the brake sensors are faulty or not receiving the magnet signal correctly.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Depends on the sensor type used but first port of call is checking brake lever and sensor operation is good.

PastyMan

Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2014
Truro, Cornwall
Depends on the sensor type used but first port of call is checking brake lever and sensor operation is good.
Yep, I'll check brake levers, throttle function, and motion sensor.
Though I would not be surprised to find no faults as the problem is intermittent.
May have to resort to carrying a multimeter to capture the moment.:(

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
If intermittent then the fault may be a broken brake sensor wire, one would have to try and run a continuation check in the brake wiring.

• Agree
Reactions: PC2017