Motorbike headlight

trevor brooker

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2018
maidstone
IMG_20211102_150447.jpg

I only attach this headlight after dark - 2 bolts & 3 push wires.
I replaced the 12v bulb with a multi voltage side mounted LED that uses the reflectors, so I have the cut off on dipped to prevent blinding drivers. The 3rd wire is for main beam as I have country lanes to navigate before I get to any town.
I used a splitter off the main battery cable to a waterproof box, inside is an inline fuse.
I looked at the MOT for bikes & decided that if that is what is deemed sensible for safety for road use, then I should aim for the same.
So indicators mounted on handlebar mirrors (only used at night as arm signals during the day are clearer)
Also flashing white LEDs (Red at back) at widest part of cycle to emphasize the width (when I was doing a 10 mile single lane country road I experimented with all types & positions of lights & I found that the wider you appear the more space you are given)
During the day I just have the front fork cycle lamp (also with cut off) so I also have a light if needed.

• Informative
Reactions: guerney

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I very much like this idea! I've been impressed by some motorcycle headlights - they're sometimes so bright that they look very noticeable in bright daylight. What headlamp is that? Did you get the clamps with the headlamp, if not, what are they called and where can I get them?

Were the multi-voltage LEDs easy to source? Is the overall brightness of your light, similar to the 12V bulb they replaced, or are they brighter?

How did you make the indicator lights? Did you use a motorbike part to make the bulbs flash? 12v? Or did you make your own, and if so, how?

Last edited:
Reactions: trevor brooker

trevor brooker

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2018
maidstone
I did it to be as cheap as possible as I had no income.

If I was to do it again & wanted to leave it permanently attached I would look at
the small twin motorbike headlamps, which when I looked only took 12v bulbs, so would need a 12v convertor.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
If I was to do it again & wanted to leave it permanently attached I would look at
the small twin motorbike headlamps, which when I looked only took 12v bulbs, so would need a 12v convertor.
The last converter I tried killed my controller (but my terrible [at the time] soldering skills, may have been a major factor), so I'd much rather use multi-voltage LEDs.

trevor brooker

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2018
maidstone
I very much like this idea! I've been impressed by some motorcycle headlights - they're sometimes so bright that they look very noticeable in bright daylight. What headlamp is that? Did you get the clamps with the headlamp, if not, what are they called and where can I get them?

Were the multi-voltage LEDs easy to source? Is the overall brightness of your light, similar to the 12V bulb they replaced, or are they brighter?

How did you make the indicator lights? Did you use a motorbike part to make the bulbs flash? 12v? Or did you make your own, and if so, how?
The headlight was ebay (12v 7 INCH MOTORCYCLE MOTORBIKE HEADLIGHT HEADLAMP ROUND HALOGEN... Total: £7.99 )

The bulb was ebay (12W 12V-85V H4 3LED Motorcycle Headlight Bulb Hi Lo Scooter Lamp / ATV Fog Light... Total: £1.98)

The indicators/front white flashers/rear red flashers were ebay (12V-85V Car Truck Flashing Emergency Warning LED Strobe Lights Flasher W... Total: £3.29)

The brackets were ebay (Sport Bike Bicycle Water Bottle Cage Holder Clamp Clip Handlebar Bracket... Total: £2.98) as I had to find those that split in two for ease of removal plus I bent a piece to metal to make the join between the headlight & the brackets.

Overall the effect is very good but not aesthetically pleasing.

The beam is bright (similar to car) & broad & very noticeable. Last night on the way back from the shops they closed one lane of the dual carriageway so all of its traffic was coming towards me, overtaking the cars parked on that side, but all of the vehicles stopped behind the parked cars to allow my right of way, because what they could see was a headlight not a cycle.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Overall the effect is very good but not aesthetically pleasing.

The beam is bright (similar to car) & broad & very noticeable. Last night on the way back from the shops they closed one lane of the dual carriageway so all of its traffic was coming towards me, overtaking the cars parked on that side, but all of the vehicles stopped behind the parked cars to allow my right of way, because what they could see was a headlight not a cycle.
That's an excellent effect! And I like the way it looks.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I've got three small headlights wired to the battery via an inline fuse (waterproof mini blade 3A fuse, wrapped in self-amalgamating rubber tape to further waterproof) - two on the handlebar and one in the fork... but adding a motorcycle headlamp like yours in the middle, may well be next! Plus indicators, I miss motorbike indicators... especially at roundabouts.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I replaced the 12v bulb with a multi voltage side mounted LED that uses the reflectors
What are those called, or do you happen to have a link? I might to pair with this you've already mentioned, for a mega-bright light:

trevor brooker

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2018
maidstone
What are those called, or do you happen to have a link? I might to pair with this you've already mentioned, for a mega-bright light:

The above link is for forward facing LEDs so fine for spot lights but no good for dipped beam as they look like normal torch lights from oncoming traffic. I know I made that mistake.

To get the headlight reflectors & glass prisms to work you need side LEDs

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2334524.m570.l1313&_nkw=+h4+12+-+80v+bulb&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&_odkw=+(12W++H4+3LED+Motorcycle+Headlight+Bulb+Hi+Lo+Scooter+Lamp+/+ATV+Fog+Light&_osacat=0

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
The above link is for forward facing LEDs so fine for spot lights but no good for dipped beam as they look like normal torch lights from oncoming traffic. I know I made that mistake.

To get the headlight reflectors & glass prisms to work you need side LEDs

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2334524.m570.l1313&_nkw=+h4+12+-+80v+bulb&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&_odkw=+(12W++H4+3LED+Motorcycle+Headlight+Bulb+Hi+Lo+Scooter+Lamp+/+ATV+Fog+Light&_osacat=0
I very much like the idea of three of those in the middle of one housing = 75W = 7800lm

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021

note at 6v that led will draw near 5a so will need a hefty heat sink to work at full power.

:cool:
Those LEDs areimpressively bright, but they can't seem to operate for very long at full brightness - cooling them will be a problem. I'm really bummed out that that in no video did they show what the beams of any of their torches looked like, in bright daylight - I've seen some motorbike headlamps look impressively bright during the day, noticeably bright.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
if your going 60mph that should be enough to cool it down i dont put my light on full beam unless im going fast enough as the heat sink gets hot and eats the batt range if not moving.

and tbh on full power down the cannel it is only just powerful enough when going 30mph in pitch black :p

carrots don't work pmsl ;)

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
if your going 60mph that should be enough to cool it down i dont put my light on full beam unless im going fast enough as the heat sink gets hot and eats the batt range if not moving.

and tbh on full power down the cannel it is only just powerful enough when going 30mph in pitch black :p

carrots don't work pmsl ;)
How many lumens is your light? I reckon my 3w X 3 Bafang/Junstar combination (wired to my ebike battery) is likely about as bright as that in total darkness. I'll have to check. Trouble is - I have to travel a loooong way to find somewhere completely dark, which isn't infested with psychotic loonies.

Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
that was my old cree light the magic shine mj 908 is 8000lm but is about 5000 -6000lm as not every led can be run at full power.

DSC_0147_01.JPGDSC_0148_01.JPG
DSC_0149_01.JPG
DSC_0150_01_01.JPG

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
that was my old cree light the magic shine mj 908 is 8000lm but is about 5000 -6000lm as not every led can be run at full power.

View attachment 44674View attachment 44675
View attachment 44676
View attachment 44677
It looks a lot brighter in those photos than it did on your video. Auto-exposure on video? If it's an uneven spread, most cameras on automatic (unless programmed otherwise) will expose correctly for the brightest area, making everything else look darker.

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
was one of these

Aha, my three at 5w 36v are pulling just a bit less than that - just shy of 1A, which explains why the brightness looks (to me) about similar, to that light?