Motorcycle Convert

Improy

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 18, 2019
Hi, I'm a new recruit, life long motorcyclist, still involved with motorcycling but not on the road. I was drawn to bikes after seeing a you tube item on electric motorcycles, most impressive. Just ordered a Rad Rhino and looking forward to the benefits of ebiking for old guys.

Reactions: flecc and Nev

Improy

Jul 18, 2019
I assume that you need to register it & treat it like a motorbike?
Yes it would appear so, to have it registered and insured for the road is a good idea but does it mean that i cannot use it on cycle paths and off road routes, there appears to be musch

Improy

Jul 18, 2019
Yes it would appear so, to have it registered and insured for the road is a good idea but does it mean that i cannot use it on cycle paths and off road routes, there appears to be musch
Sorry hit the wrong button, to continue there appears to be much confusion on this topic.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Sorry hit the wrong button, to continue there appears to be much confusion on this topic.
The Rad Rhino is an e-bike not conforming to the legal conditions for pedelecs since it has three times that power rating.

Therefore in the UK it has to be registered and rear number plated as an L1e-A moped and ridden with third party insurance. The Certificate of Conformity that comes with it enables the DVLA to accept if for registration without additional type approval.

However, because it has working pedals, it doesn't require any driving licence. If it had no pedals, it would require a group Q driving licence, but that's academic for you since you have a m/c licence.

Last edited:

Improy

Jul 18, 2019
The Rad Rhino is an e-bike not conforming to the legal conditions for pedelecs since it has three times that power rating.

Therefore in the UK it has to be registered and rear number plated as an L1e-A moped and ridden with third party insurance. The Certificate of Conformity that comes with it enables the DVLA to accept if for registration without additional type approval.
Thank you, that is helpful and confirms my reading of the law.

Reactions: flecc

Wicky

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
Colchester, Essex
www.jhepburn.co.uk
It has a link on the RadRhino website that gives info on the L1e-A electic bike category

"L1e-A in many countries means that the bike needs to be registered and insured (please check your local laws and regulations for your specific situation). This gives you the peace of mind that your bike is registered and therefore can be traced in the unlikely case your bike is lost or stolen. "

Is promotes it as a bonus but fails to mention the restrictions in where it can legaly be ridden.

Improy

Jul 18, 2019

However, because it has working pedals, it doesn't require any driving licence. If it had no pedals, it would require a group Q driving licence, but that's academic for you since you have a m/c licence.
Interesting, it does appear that people can be put off going electric which I thought was the mission

• Agree

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Interesting, it does appear that people can be put off going electric which I thought was the mission
It arises from the determination of the authorities to clearly divide our bureaucracy free pedelecs from any other powered vehicles.

Anything faster and/or more powerful ends up as a motor vehicle with all that implies. This isn't uniquely the UK, the L1e-A class is Europe wide and has been around a long time, originally called the Low Powered Moped class.

However, the rules on usage are national, so not every country bans them from cyclepaths.

Improy

Jul 18, 2019
It arises from the determination of the authorities to clearly divide our bureaucracy free pedelecs from any other powered vehicles.

Anything faster and/or more powerful ends up as a motor vehicle with all that implies. This isn't uniquely the UK, the L1e-A class is Europe wide and has been around a long time, originally called the Low Powered Moped class.

However, the rules on usage are national, so not every country bans them from cyclepaths.
That makes sense, I am not a speed freak but chose the bike due to little excess weight and a number of hills. Looks as if when I have recovered from this purchase I may be in the market for something that fits into the peddle class