Moving a rack battery to a different part of a frame

chris667

Pedelecer
Apr 7, 2009
Hello everyone.

I've got a Whoosh supplied Shengyi hub, which I really love. Completely hassle free transport.

I have another frame I'd like to transfer the kit to - it has a much larger triangle inside the frame and the battery would easily fit inside the frame and make the bike far easier to handle - lots of weight above and behind the back wheel isn't ideal.

Is there anything like a frame bag available that would allow me to take the rack battery out of the frame and rotate the battery 90 degrees so it sits under the top tube? I have some chequer plate here so I could fabricate a box for permanent mounting - the battery can stay on the frame. But a bag might be a bit more minimalist.

Excuse the quality of the drawing, but this is the plan.

Attachments

PC2017

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2017
Scunthorpe
What battery is it, rack etc

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Rack batteries tend to be the wrong shape for triangle fitting and if one did then one would need to fabricate a way to secure it .

• Agree
Reactions: PC2017

chris667

Pedelecer
Apr 7, 2009
I thought as much. It would have been nice if someone made bags for them though. No harm in asking!

AntonyC

Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2022
Surrey
I've had this a few years on a hybrid and can't fault it:

Scorpio

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2020
Portugal Algarve (temporary)
At best, it will work but be untidy.

Will your battery physically fit in your frame triangle? Frame-style batteries normally have a tapered end for a neater fit.
Best case (I guess) would be to put your battery on edge (thin side of the battery to one of the frame tubes) and see how it looks. It might be possible to make up a cage to clamp it to the frame tubes.

Anything is possible but it depends on how much time, effort, and cash you want to spends.
Hope it works out for you, keep us updated :)

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
The battery maybe hasn't got too much life left. i think it would make sense to get a down-tube battery instead if you're going to spend money. You can get a reasonable one for £200. You can take the controller out of the compartment in the existing battery and stick it in an under-seat tool bag, which is where mine's been for the last 10 years.

• Agree

AntonyC

Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2022
Surrey
If you did want to stick with the rack battery there are plenty of crossbar bags made for cell packs, you could take the pack out and it would be a fair bit smaller, but that's for fair weather and gentle use. I'd sooner bungee the case in proven place on the downtube just to try it out, and include rain & splash protection in the final design (as the case was designed to be level).

Last edited:
  • Agree