Moving threads

averhamdave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 13, 2009
I see that my Saracen thread has been moved, presumably because it is technically an off road bike.

That's fair enough but can I ask why my thread has moved and others haven't when they are also discussing bikes of over 250w?

I see moving to this other obscure forum section as basically killing it but if there was consistency then this new category would be better supported.

Furthermore why isn't there action by moderators to deal with the relentless efforts by some retailers to push their products at every opportunity? - particularly those that should appear in the offload forum anyway?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Maybe it's a question of degree. In many places the 350 and 500 watt e-bikes are legal and this is an international forum with many overseas members. Your 1500 watt Saracen isn't road legal anywhere in the world as an e-bike so is best suited to the high power section.

Personally I always click the green "What's New" tab heading on entering the forum so see all new posts in whatever section they are posted, and I think many others do that also.

averhamdave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 13, 2009
I see the logic of the point you are making Flecc but why isn't there consistency in moving such threads? Move mine then move all those which fall into that category. No?

Moving on and if it's about the law, shouldn't a UK forum reflect UK law? Aren't overseas visitors capable of recognising what fits their laws or doesn't fit their laws? Surely that's a consideration we make when we look at overseas forums?

Why are commercial suppliers allowed to muscle in on other peoples threads (not mine) with their repeated attempts to sell illegal (for the public highway) kit? Is it because they pay for a sidebar advertisement?

I think the forum would be better if it were split into "off the shelf" e-bikes and "self built" e-bikes, regardless of power.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I do agree about the commercial selling of powered bikes that are illegal anywhere as e-bikes, those posts are clearly inappropriate in an e-bike forum.

Although this site and forum were started in the UK and so have mostly UK members, I don't think it's merely a UK forum for these reasons: It's always been open to members worldwide and we have members from all continents. It is named Pedelecs, a term not originally from the UK where e-bikes has always been used. I believe this site is now hosted in Germany where they have e-bike classes up to 500 watts power with 45 kph assist limits. Virtually all the e-bikes we buy are made in other countries with differing laws. Together these mean that posted content is bound to be international and not solely UK focused.