mtb front mudguard options?

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
What would you suggest for a front mudguard for a MTB with basic sprung forks and no apparent mounting h/w?

The intended terrain is muddy bridleways and tracks so wet legs are a given but i would like to avoid face spray as much as possible.

An amazon search told me This time i am out of my depth.. but its difficult to send someone a tenner and expect only a few cable ties and a cut out of plastic sheet. If not online it cant take more than 5 sheets of a4 before a reasonable template is at hand?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

DSC_0085_03.JPG

Reactions: thelarkbox

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
Great looking bike, but whats the splash back like at 10mph through 3-4inches of water/mud?

Granted £8 is better than 9.99 but its still just a thin sheet of whats filling my recycle bin, The proguard maxi in your 2nd link is more in line with my blind expectations.. perhaps i should have browsed more than the first few pages..

Last time i looked at spending money on sports cycling it was all 10 speed and drillium all things MTB were born and matured in my absence..

Wayners

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2023
Gloucester
Were you saying you don't want to make one?
YouTube. Make a mudgard.
Plastic bottle cut up using downloaded template. Zip tie on.
Or cut old plastic folder.
Seen one made by melting plastic bags which was amazing looking with the colours.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
my bike can hit 40 mph on the flat but you want the longest guards but they look shite so use goggles.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

Raboa

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2014
You can fit a full size mudguard using p clips or the below.

Put a mudguard bridge (one usually comes with the mudguard) each side of the n upper bend of the fork. Bolt these two bridges together, you may have to put a small piece of tubing over the bolt to fill in any remaining space.
You could also tie the mudguard to the n upper bend with zip ties.

Last edited:

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
Were you saying you don't want to make one?
YouTube. Make a mudgard.
Plastic bottle cut up using downloaded template. Zip tie on.
Or cut old plastic folder.
Seen one made by melting plastic bags which was amazing looking with the colours.
My essence is that of a cheap ol git so of course I would rather not buy one :) As long as its functional, if spending a couple of pints worth keeps me a tad dryer and keeps mud off my goggles..(i need em on the rd @soundwave i weep otherwise) then spend i shall.. Just wanted confirmation its really the state of play..

Last edited:
Reactions: Wayners

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
20231026_212425[1].jpg

sound wave left shock wave right ;)

DSC_0222_03_01.JPG

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
Bagsy the next 2l pet or hdpe bottle, thanks for the template.. Though i may give @Raboa s suggestion a go first using non sports bike p clips however ;) as i have a mudguard that matches the one bodged on the rear already.. the lack of mounting h/w stumped me this afternoon.

damn n blast U caught my typo before i corrected it Ya got me..

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
20231026_213218[1].jpg

cant have a sound wave without a shock wave can you ;)

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Tie the front one to the fork crown with zip-ties, like I did. See post #16 here:

• Agree
Reactions: esuark

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
Tie the front one to the fork crown with zip-ties, like I did. See post #16 here:
Hmm perhaps the pop bottle variant can be saved for a very dry summer..
Cheapo P/R clips and salvaged full front mud guard from the rusty bottom of the garden bike it is..

Reactions: esuark

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
you dont buy things in halfords o_O you nick everything you can:D

Reactions: BillyBoy88

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
I use the Top Peak ones with an expander bolt.

They are not regarded well by "Proper" mountain bikers, probably because of their larger size.

I used and still use them on my Haibike hard tail that I bought to commute to work and back on, with the to work ride mostly off road.

They are not perfect, being only held by an expander bolt they can fall off. Mine have not, but I know it can happen as I found a complete set on a trail I was riding on. They came in very useful when the mounting bracket on my original set got broken when I fell off!

The expander bolt can seize in place. I had some difficulty getting my broken bracket off to replace it.

If you ride aggressively they can bounce around. I actually bodged an extra support to the front section.

However in real terms they have lasted years and stop you getting splashed in the face.

I don't think they are too expensive.

I added a crud buster style mudguard to provide more protection to the lower area of my frame/motor/battery.

Ride to Work aftermath March 2020 006.JPG

Ride to work route Curry 27 10 2023 007.JPG

If you enlarge the picture above you can see the support to the front mudguard. Its some elasticated cord stretched from the front mudguard and tied on near the centre of the handlebars. Works a treat and easy to re adjust as necessary. Got to love a good bodge!

Last edited:

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
Your bike looks as if its been down the trails i hope to follow @georgehenry,
Yours is the second of the 'more common' styles i spotted and thanks for clarifying the need for a strap/support, as I was wondering how they didnt just fall out??
but for now i have cable tied on the 'spare' matching the rear, after a little support bending.

Not an ideal fix as the bent supports on one side found the split in the rim and escaped.. needs a further bodge up.. me thinks gaffer tape over the rim split on the mudguard.
but a stash of cable ties for on site fixes is an easy carry..

Ignore the front rack/carry box, not a permanent fixture, another cable tie bodge.. I completely forgot about suspension when fixing it DOH!! and i cant turn the forks rigid ho hum..P1010836.JPGP1010835.JPG

Reactions: georgehenry