My bike

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Those 4 flashes stopping, then repeating, means the throttle twistgrip is not closing off completely. Your bike won't run after switching on unless the throttle is fully closed, this for safety reasons of course.

Therefore make sure your throttle is fully twisted closed and try again. Let me know the result, and if the spring action is returning the throttle to fully closed ok.

An ordinary bike shop can realign the back wheel is it's out of line and rubbing one side for some reason. Most won't be able to correct electrical faults though, but we don't know for certain yet that there is an electrical fault.

Gaynor

Pedelecer
Nov 28, 2006
A couple of weeks back I wanted a price for sending my old bike to my brother-in-law in the west of Ireland. One price I got was nearly £200!

Anyway, I used this site:

Cheap Couriers | Cheap Delivery Services > Shiply

which is a sort of courier 'auction' site - you put in your details and wait (for a few hours or whatever) and get offers from various couriers.

For my London-Galway trip it ranged from £190 down to £38!

This was for a boxed bike (using the bike box from my newly purchased Wisper), but worth a try as long as you can wrap the bike well.
I have joined the Auction site (not quite sure how it works yet) when you put the measurements I could of put them of the bike folded, but it would weigh the same, I probably (hopefully) get some offers tommorrow, but the ON bike shop is closed on Tuesdays and open from 10.30 to 4.30 and it's and 198 mile trip, but you got a bargain with yours to Ireland!

Thankyou for this link!

I am not sure how to box it up I throw all my big boxes away I have enough clutter as it is, but just maybe I could fold it, and celetape it on soft big blankets, or find myself a big box!

regards Gaynor

Gaynor

Pedelecer
Nov 28, 2006
make sure your throttle is fully twisted closed and try again. Let me know the result, and if the spring action is returning the throttle to fully closed ok.
Do you mean that silver round thing on the brake, or the bit you use with an Alen key under the brake, feel such a fool .... I'll give it another go

(Thankyou so, so much for your patience)

Gaynor

Gaynor

Pedelecer
Nov 28, 2006
if the spring action is returning the throttle to fully closed ok.
When I press the brake ansd let go it springs back

Im just wondering what other places on the throttle to move, or tighten.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The throttle is just the twistgrip on the left that you use to apply power. Just make sure it is fully closed, i.e: rolled forward, and let me know if it's spring action is doing that automatically or whether you have to twist is a bit further closed yourself. See if it runs then, or if not, if the number of red flashes changes.

There's nothing else to move or tighten.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
you seem to be making this very difficult for yourself. here is a link and there are loads like it on ebay charging under £30

Courier delivery service for electric bike transport on eBay (end time 08-Jul-10 22:45:57 BST)

you see a lot of these "not working" bikes on ebay, why I tried to explain best to get it fixed before shelling out £500 on a new battery. send it to Onbike or for convenience Steve W in Bromley he really knows his stuff....or even take it on a direct train from hastings to bromley south, its not far and I am sure he would meet you - but courier makes more sense:rolleyes:

your bike has not worked since 2008? so probably needs a good service anyway......

Bicycle repair man

Last edited:

Gaynor

Pedelecer
Nov 28, 2006
The throttle is just the twistgrip on the left that you use to apply power. Just make sure it is fully closed, i.e: rolled forward, and let me know if it's spring action is doing that automatically or whether you have to twist is a bit further closed yourself.

Yes when I twist the throttle backwards it springs back by itself..

I think I'l call a neighbour in and see if they have any luck, but as I recall it was when the bike was brake worthy (like now) it seemed to make the power stop, I forget how to reverse that, so its either a working brake or electric, it seems..

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Not sure Gaynor, 4 flashes repeating is definitely the throttle fault described, brake cutout faults are either 2 or 3 flashes happening just once, not repeating.

Gaynor

Pedelecer
Nov 28, 2006
Not sure Gaynor, 4 flashes repeating is definitely the throttle fault described, brake cutout faults are either 2 or 3 flashes happening just once, not repeating.

Flec those flashes go so fast, I am counting 5 quick flashes

regards

Gaynor

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Those 5 are throttle faulty, indications are "check connections or replace".

Since your bike has been standing idle for a long time it could be the connections are poor now though a degree of corrosion or pollution. There's a connector just near the throttle which could be the problem, needing unplugging and replugging to make good the connection to the meter housing. The other connector but less likely to be the cause is the one in the meter wiring which is underneath the battery platform in the wiring harness.

Since these connectors are fully wrapped in sealing tapes and sleeving I don't expect you to attempt a repair Gaynor, but this information may help someone else you find to attempt it. SteveW who was recommended above is excellent and I'm sure he will help if you can get the bike to him or nearby, but you'd probably need to leave the bike with him for a couple of days. Steve's contact details:

steve.watkin@btinternet.com

01689 837602

07748 655201

Gaynor

Pedelecer
Nov 28, 2006
Thanks a million Flec you sure are the electric bike master!

If I met someone I would only need to take the bike and key, not the battery, but it's not needed when going in for a fix, is this correct?

Conal

Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2007
Battery not included

Gaynor

You don't need to take the battery with you. OnBike have spare ones to test the bike, but they or anyone else would need the key.

Conal

jac

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 1, 2007
why not take bike to ebikes direct at bodiam it is a lot nearer hastings worth giving them a ring to see if they can do anything

jim

Gaynor

Pedelecer
Nov 28, 2006
why not take bike to ebikes direct at bodiam it is a lot nearer hastings worth giving them a ring to see if they can do anything

jim
Thanks Jac

My bike is on it's way to Onbike, will be there this week.

I was thinking why when I got it out and tried riding it, no battery, it seemed to be going all over the place, but it was already mentioned the back might not be in line with the front, I did glide down some slopes, but peddling on straight was tough, so I mainly walked it.

I wonder what with the back on the bike not being in line, the electric not working (the side flashes 5 times) and then the brake, if it will be expensive by the time ONbike as dealt with all the aforementioned issues.

Its because I was being asked what if they charge £200, but seeing I know next to nothing about elec bike tech stuff, the problems might not turn out to be as outstanding as I think, I didn't realize until I took the bike in the light how dusty it looked :eek: I also wanted to oil it, but wasn't sure what others use, anyway now ive got to be patient...

It will be great when they can fix it, I cant wait to have it in perfect working order :)

Gaynor

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It's very likely these are quite minor faults Gaynor, in part resulting from it being idle for a long time, so I doubt you need to worry about high costs yet. I've passed on some ideas on what is probably wrong with it which will hopefully prove helpful in achieving the repair. In the unlikely event a major part has failed, I'm sure Onbike would let you know before proceeding.

Conal

Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2007
Repairs

Gaynor

Flecc has indicated what needs to be looked at, and what the possible faults are. Phil and Andrew at OnBike have lots of experience and Flecc's advice will help.

The bike will be at OnBike tomorrow afternoon (Friday) and they will try to repair it whilst I wait, so it might be back next week.

They won't spent much without checking with you so don't worry about a big bill yet.

Conal

Gaynor

Pedelecer
Nov 28, 2006
It's very likely these are quite minor faults Gaynor, in part resulting from it being idle for a long time, so I doubt you need to worry about high costs yet. I've passed on some ideas on what is probably wrong with it which will hopefully prove helpful in achieving the repair. In the unlikely event a major part has failed, I'm sure Onbike would let you know before proceeding.
I cant express enough how grateful I am, I do read your web pages, and try to soak up as much as I can.
Thankyou

P.s re: last post I do worry too much.

The bike will be at OnBike tomorrow afternoon (Friday) and they will try to repair it whilst I wait, so it might be back next week.

They won't spent much without checking with you so don't worry about a big bill yet.
It's other people telling me such things, then I start to think, but as you know Onbike have my address phone number and credit card details (as i bought the battery recently) so they would give me an estimate first, ah, I feel very well looked after on here, Conal thankyou very very much!
You guys spoil me :)

Conal

Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2007
Gaynor has her bike back!

Gaynor picked up her bike on Monday evening. I picked it up from OnBike on Saturday.
(An aside - they have a great looking Wisper folder - white and not unlike a Brompton)
I cycled to Charing Cross on the bike - from North East London down to Embankment and along the river. I really enjoyed riding it. I have a full size multi geared pedelec (no throttle) and did not realise that there is an advantage with the throttle as it gives power instantly - no need to pedal to get the power. This meant that, amongst the throng (collective word for cyclists anyone?) of lycras at every set of lights I went to the front and left them in my wake! Hardly any of them caught me up but I was pedalling frantically.
However I can see what Gaynor means when she says that she can not cycle up steep hills. Having only one gear is limiting.
I think the eZee chopper could be the answer.
I would definitely consider a folder after riding this around London. Interestingly whilst I was talking to Gaynor outside the station lots of folder were taken in and out, mainly Brompton and Dahon, but no electric ones.

Back to Gaynor's bike. OnBike repaired the throttle (Flecc diagnosed the problem correctly - no suprise there) and replaced the back brake pads. I understand from Gaynor that the charge was very reasonable. Hopefully we will soon see a post here from Gaynor confirming that she is back on her bike and enjoying the use of her new battery.

Conal

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Than God fot that.......The suspense was killing me:D