My Cargo bike build.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I don't know why Edge is having trouble downloading JAVA, I'd just install and use Firefox. It's a very good browser. Firefox was sooo much better when many of my favourite plugins were easier for their programmers to code for it.

Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
you need windows xp :p

Reactions: guerney

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
you need windows xp :p
Funnily enough I use XP quite a lot - it's firewalled and port blocked to hell, has no JAVA, no Adobe Reader and all other security holes have been plugged. The internet will eventually stop working on XP, sadly.

Hopefully Windows 10 Defender isn't blocking Nealh's process.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
i need win98se to make my isis sound card work again as wont work on xp but there going to lock all this down and force you to buy there batts otherwise it wont work with can bus.

it is only a matter of time :(

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
i need win98se to make my isis sound card work again as wont work on xp but there going to lock all this down and force you to buy there batts otherwise it wont work with can bus.

it is only a matter of time :(
I've got a 64 bit sound card by the same company - once you've installed it on SE, there were drivers for when you upgrade to Windows 2000. I threw away quite a lot of old software, but 98SE is on ebay:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
The file I can't open is the java configurator that allows the OSF to load as far as I'm aware.
Just read the java main page again and it says Java basically I'm fooked as my W10 uses Edge, I'm trying a Internet Explorer Java download to see if that will work.
How to install Java on Windows 10 - he's using Chrome, which is a free download:

More info:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
The file I can't open is the java configurator that allows the OSF to load as far as I'm aware.
Just read the java main page again and it says Java basically I'm fooked as my W10 uses Edge, I'm trying a Internet Explorer Java download to see if that will work.
Sometimes Windows 10 won't associate file extensions properly - so even if you've installed JAVA, Windows 10 might not have associated .jar files with JAVA... in which case you need to right click on a .jar file and select "Open with" and choose the JAVA expecutable from the dropdown, or browse to the executable in relevant "Program files" folder, and select "Always use this app". (This fixed the issue with a program Winrar, when I installed it on Windows 10... fooking cr*p Windows 10 didn't know what to do with Winrar files, until I associated .rar files with Winrar :rolleyes:)

You also might need to make a "Batch" file with a .bat extension. Batch files are designed to run a batch of commands- in this case you only need one command. The batch file will execute the .jar file with JAVA, just follow the steps in the video below. Try it on the desktop as shown, but if the .bat file won't run on the desktop, make the .bat file inside the same folder as the .jar file you want to run.

Nothing is fooked until everything is bricked!

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
This is from the java download page using the ES link from emmebrusa.

In Windows 10, the Edge browser does not support plug-ins and therefore will not run Java. Switch to a different browser (Internet Explorer, for example) to run the Java plug-in. Select the More Actions option located at the top right of the Edge browser and click on Open with Internet Explorer. More info

All your other ramblings have totally lost me.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
So it is looking like I will need to download a different browser just solely for the java to run.
I can open I.E so will have to try that first and see what happens.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Looked at the godzilla browser and then checked Java, the browser is not recognised by java now so not compatible.
So I uninstalled all five of the of the downloads from the pc registry, files & folders the lot.
Annnnnnnnd set about a fresh install from the same wiki link, this time success. One has the java config screens open and looks like a glitch or download error has prevented the files form opening.
Now to see what happens when I have a play later.

The first 3 are the gobbledygook hex screens that appear, much like swizz and B-4-2 have posted.

Program memory.
DSCF1355.JPG

Data memory.
DSCF1354.JPG

Option byte
DSCF1356.JPG

And the important one, first of the Java config screens.
This is the latest v.20.1c.2
DSCF1357.JPG

The download process if working correctly is plain sailing, but like my first download if nothing happens or goes a bit awry delete everything from everywhere and download all again.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Now we're cooking on gas! Should be plain sailing from here on?

• Disagree
Reactions: Nealh

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Nope spoke to soon, went back in and the configurator has defaulted back to IE as the opening path and won't open again. When I reloaded the programs earlier the path had the java link and opened perfectly.
So somehow I have to change the path which B- 4 -2 did but as I have no idea where to look haven't a clue, I tried to follow his lead but have no idea of what or where to open or find the correct places to make the changes.
I think the path is the the file STVP_CmdLine.exe but am at a loss how to find it in the stvp set up.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Are .jar files opening with Internet Explorer when double clicked? If so, you need to associate them with JAVA as in post #47.

"3. download and install ST Visual Development. Install it directly to C:\ , not to the default folder. The file STVP_CmdLine.exe must be located in C:\STMicroelectronics\st_toolset\stvp. Alternatively you can set the correct path in the file _TSDZ2-Smart-EBike/src/controller/compile_and_flash.bat"

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Sometimes programs can hijack file associations to reset them, so somewhere in Windows 10, your .jar files may have been re-associated to IE by some program or other or by Windows 10 itself. Just follow the steps in #47.

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
So somehow I have to change the path which B- 4 -2 did but as I have no idea where to look haven't a clue
Who the heck is that and do you have a link to where he or it does this?

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I think the path is the the file STVP_CmdLine.exe but am at a loss how to find it in the stvp set up.
That file should be in the folder where that download was unpacked, which according to point 3. on the wiki I linked above in #53, should be unpacked directly as C:\STMicroelectronics\, and that file will then be found in C:\STMicroelectronics\st_toolset\stvp

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Are you getting this error message?

If so, have you tried editing the .bat file as he did? From this:

To this:

If you did the above and it didn't work, then perhaps the line above beginning with PATH is incorrect, and it's been installed in the wrong folder by Windows 10. In which case you'll need to edit that .bat file to include the full path of where it was installed, which @Bikes4two mentioned was in program files, therefore the path would be:

C:\Program Files\STMicroelectronics\st_toolset\stvp

Afte the "PATH = %" etc portion of that line.

It depends on where it's been installed. Windows 10 may have installed it in "Program files", looks like it didn't give Bike4Two any other option.

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
To edit that .bat file, you can open Notepad and just drag and drop the .bat file into it, then edit and save.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Oh and on Windows 10, the path will probably begin with:

C:\Progam Files (x86)

and not begin with just

C:\Program Files

Related Articles

Advertisers