My Carrera Vengeance Ultimate/ TSDZ2 build (in progress..)

KeithMac

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 20, 2016
York
Hello all, I'm on with a second ebike (self build) as a weekend project. This will be a Nuvinci 360 rear hub, TSDZ2 mid drive on my Carrera.

Spent a productive morning off work cleaning the bike and removing the crank, rear wheel, servicing the brakes etc.

The Nuvinci came in a prebuilt 26" wheel (thanks Peter!) and was a straight forward fit, I clocked it so the gear cables went up the seat stay well out of the way of the motor. I had some instructions to set the cables but they were at best nonsense so a bit of common sense later I managed to fit them myself and ensure full range of movement.

Put some 26×175 tures on there (Continental) to keep rolling resistance down, saved the knobblies just in case!.

My new Lidl bike stand worked like a charm, made the job much easier!.

Just waiting on the TSDZ2 to arrive now, should hopefully be a straight forward fit.

Out with the old...

In with the new!.

Reactions: LeighPing and trex

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
nice bike. Should be a nice match for the CD kit. How much does it weigh at the moment?

KeithMac

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 20, 2016
York
I think it was 15kg?, the rear wheel that came out weighed a fair bit though.

Will get it on the scales at work after the kit has been fitted.

I expected th Nuvinci to feel heavier than it did to be honest (pleasantly surprised).

I have some Pace carbon suspension front forks but they aren't hydraulic disc compatible..

• Informative
Reactions: trex

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
the CD kit weighs about 4kgs incl. wiring. Which battery are you going to use?

• Disagree
Reactions: malkie0831

KeithMac

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 20, 2016
York
I've got a 36v 15ah dolphin battery coming for the downtube, Samsung celled.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
your build should be the new standard build for commuters. Should be very low maintenance. Love to see your review when finished.

KeithMac

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 20, 2016
York
Yeh I've fancied a Nuvinci hub for a while (before e-biking) and one came up on here for sale built into the correct size wheel so I had to have it!.

The electric conversion should give the bike a new lease of life, rather than languishing at the back of the shed.

It was surprisingly enjoyable working on it this morning, sun was out and the birds were chirping. Not up to my eyballs in oil and petrol!.

The Gtech will still be my choice for the daily work commute, this will be a weekend toy.

Reactions: LeighPing

footpump

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 19, 2014
how many gears has the newvinci? and where did you purchase the battery?
I believe you purchased the 350w tsdz2
I ask as I have (Carrera subway one+tsdz2 250w+10.4 ah battery amps set to 12, sp 25.5km)

did a very hilly 23 miles in total sport mode , fair amount left in battery.

you may have to rename bike Carrera gt with your intended setup.

KeithMac

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 20, 2016
York
Hello Nuvinci is infinitely adjustable within it's range (no gear "click").

Goes from 1/2 turn of rear sprocket to 1 wheel rotation (overdrive) to 2 turns of rear sprocket to 1 wheel roatation (full underdrive).

You can set the range with front and rear sprockets.

Bought 350w kit and battery from ebike-sales.co.uk.

Going by my other bike I should easily hit 100 mile range but we'll see..

Reactions: malkie0831

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
you tend to use more battery on CD bikes because it's so easy to ride fast even on hills.

• Informative

KeithMac

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 20, 2016
York
Motor and battery arrived at work today!, don't know if I'll have time to fit it this weekend though..

KeithMac

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 20, 2016
York
Had a quick look through the box and it looks a well made/ well finished bit of kit!.

How long does a 15ah battery normally take to charge with a 2amp charger?, 7 hours or more?. Put it on charge earlier..

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Had a quick look through the box and it looks a well made/ well finished bit of kit!.

How long does a 15ah battery normally take to charge with a 2amp charger?, 7 hours or more?. Put it on charge earlier..

7 - 8 hrs to fully charge as it nears the end the amps back off to allow any balancing.

KeithMac

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 20, 2016
York
Just a quick one, why are most batteries mounted on the front frame tube?, is it weight distribution?.

Was thinking of mounting it on the vertical frame tube where the seat slots in..

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
Just a quick one, why are most batteries mounted on the front frame tube?, is it weight distribution?.

Was thinking of mounting it on the vertical frame tube where the seat slots in..
Yes, it's about weight distribution. Lower the better.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union

You can as long as the rivnuts don't interfere with the seat tube. It will still be better than on top of a rack.

craiggor

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 9, 2015
Most bikes only have bottle mounts on the down tube.You have mounts on your seat tube and down tube.If your battery fits on your seat tube please do a test of both positions,and report back your findings.I have mine on the top tube,which gives it a high centre of gravity.Feels fine.Motocross bikes have a higher cofg than road bikes and are quite flickable.I think front of the seat tube would give the best results.Not enough room to do it on a lot of bikes,I think it would look more stealth.

Sent from my D101 using Tapatalk

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I thought of putting mine under the down tube (yes with straps for security!) but the wheel won't clear when the suspension is fully depressed. Maybe if I changed to a HL battery...

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
you tend to use more battery on CD bikes because it's so easy to ride fast even on hills.
Now that I have a few weeks use I confirm the above statement - about 25% more battery in my case.