My dilemma

Butts

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 1, 2010
I bought a new Wisper Sport 905 in October 2010. The reason I bought the bike was to get me out and about and get some exercise, because my elderly dog , full of arthritis , could not walk far so I used to nip off and have the odd hour or two to myself. But things have changed , the dog has died and I have Border collie puppy that I got in November last year. Now the bike is not getting used , I can't leave a very active young dog in the house while i go off on my bike , that's not the way i am with my Collies. If it was a normal bike I would keep it and use it when necessary but you can't keep an electric bike
With the cost of a new battery as they are not being used. I don't want to part with it but there doesn't seem to be a choice, any suggestions .

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
It's quite likely that the battery will last a few years if kept properly, strange as it may sound keeping it partially charged in your fridge will extend the life a lot. The resale value may not be a huge amount as the battery is out of warranty and people may not believe that it's got much life left in it, saying that I sold my 905 after 18 months and got what I thought was a fair price (about £450).
Can you not combine both and get the puppy used to going on long walks alongside you riding?

grasshopper

Pedelecer
May 23, 2012
Get a harness for the dog; get a trailer for you; sell the bike. :p

Davanti

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 10, 2012
trailer.jpg

You mean like this?

DJH

Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2011
North Yorkshire
I bought a new Wisper Sport 905 in October 2010. The reason I bought the bike was to get me out and about and get some exercise, because my elderly dog , full of arthritis , could not walk far so I used to nip off and have the odd hour or two to myself. But things have changed , the dog has died and I have Border collie puppy that I got in November last year. Now the bike is not getting used , I can't leave a very active young dog in the house while i go off on my bike , that's not the way i am with my Collies. If it was a normal bike I would keep it and use it when necessary but you can't keep an electric bike
With the cost of a new battery as they are not being used. I don't want to part with it but there doesn't seem to be a choice, any suggestions .
Had a similar problem myself. Our dog died last year and I found I wasn't walking enough so bought an electric bike to help with the exercise and reduce fuel costs. I used to drive to some forestry tracks to take her for walks and my thinking is, if we get another dog, I would get a trailer and take the dog to the same spots. The dog would then disembark ( sorry about that) and I would continue on the bike. My latest bike, an Oxygen EMate City, would, I think, be powerful enough but so far we haven't decide on the dog.

Nice to dream...................now to football :)

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
South Shields, Tyne & Wear
OMG Don...where did you get that picture ?
That German Shepherd looks the absolute double of my bitch Gunda that I had 36 years ago......I still carry her picture in my purse !

Lynda :)

PS....OP.....get a trailer for your pup and train her to get used to it whilst she is young !

Davanti

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 10, 2012
OMG Don...where did you get that picture ?
That German Shepherd looks the absolute double of my bitch Gunda that I had 36 years ago......I still carry her picture in my purse !

Lynda :)
I've still got photos on my desk of our Border Collies and Lurchers ... funny how you don't (or can't) let go ... :(

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
I have got a lovely dog trailer which has never been used.I would sell it for £35 just to get it out of the way.I am in Shropshire.

grasshopper

Pedelecer
May 23, 2012
Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
A border collie is far too active a dog for a trailer, they just like to be on the go all the time. Kindest to the dog is to walk with it at present and maybe a little later as it's old enough to train well, train it to run alongside the bike which with it's working dog heritage it will happily do all day.

Butts

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 1, 2010
Thanks everyone for your suggestions and humour. I did buy a trailer for my last dog but she was to uncomfortable in it . You are on my wave length Flecc and what you suggest is what I will do , I have always criticised people riding bikes with there unsuitable dogs trying to keep up but you are right about a Collies work ethic.

philthom

Just Joined
Jun 8, 2011
conwy wales
Our collie runs alongside our bike and the 7 - 10 mph suits her better than my walking pace. Didn't take long to train either. The furthest I've cycled with her is 25 miles.