Help! My first bike conversion kit

David Oxley

Just Joined
Dec 1, 2017
Newcastle upon Tyne
I am finally going to buy a road legal kit but not sure which one,it will be put on a felt mtb and mainly used to commute to work 10 miles away with only on big hill.Any thought's would be gratefully accepted.

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
World's yer oyster I imagine . Any pictures of the bike ? If it has a standard bb then you could go mid drive (bafang bbs01 is road legal or the high torque bafang bbs02b from Brighton ebikes if in stock)

I think they are easier to fit than a rear hub but that's just me.

Hub will be cheaper and arguable more reliable. Though that's not been my personal experience with my hub bikes vs mid drive

they feel different so I'd suggest go try a mid drive and a rear hub bike if possible

what's your budget and weight too please ?

I'd say spend your money on a good spec, large capacity battery first and foremost whatever actual drive you choose

Laser Man

Pedelecer
Jul 1, 2018
Michelmersh SO51
The Woosh Bikes website should be your first port of call - they have a wide variety of kits to choose from (both fully and not-quite legal) including hub and crank drive jobbies. Their pre- and post-sale support is fantastic - they really go the extra mile to make sure that you get all the right bits and then help if you have any questions about fitting. Al the documentation is on-line, so you can see exactly what you will be getting before you commit.

There are, of course, cheaper alternatives out there, but with those you need to be sure that the battery is built with decent cells, the connectors are waterproof (and foolproof!) and that they can help with the silly things like the pedal sensor won't quite fit or you need different sensors for hydraulic brakes.