Woosh My first build (inc pics)

NoSleep

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 15, 2021
Spent the last week or so trying to decide between a Woosh Faro OR something proper second hand OR a rear hub kit

I had a v cheap towpath tourer I’d built and barely used so eventually pulled the trigger on a Aikema 85SX kit from Woosh with the 17ah battery as . (Frame is a Ridgeback Cerium with the most super stealth graphics I’ve ever seen on a bike)

super fast delivery from them and great instructions/info

What started out as a new bottom bracket and simple drop bar conversion ended up in a full 11 spd drivetrain conversion with a Shadow XT rear mech, wide range 11-42 rear cassette and Clark Clout hydraulic brakes, topped off with the ubiquitous Marathon Plus on the back

Install was a breeze, not even too much cable to deal with (though still have a little tidying to do) ...there’s more excess on the brakes if anything

Only issue was trying to get the hollow tech sensor ring to sit happily on the crank - the two part sensor just wanted to come apart and not sit square and didn’t really want to use glue
Solution was to make a sensor 'bracket' support to make the sensor ring more rigid (used a flouro-green Perspex kitchen splashback sample square :D cut to size with a hole saw )
Needed some zip tie ninja skill (head torch, tweezers and lots of swearing) to strap it all up to the crank spider, whilst keeping the granny ring clear but not getting zip tie between the sensor and granny ring so it would sit nicely against the inner ring bolts

Oh man, so much fun, and just what I wanted, something that rewards my own efforts. Sundays 10 mile shakedown turned into a 20+ miler:D

Route was largely on a local national cycleway, towpath and small amounts of road. Even some fairly technical rutted greenway chucked in. Handled it all without breaking sweat (...though Suntour SP12 seat post is coming tomorrow )

That rear mech is immense, I barely adjusted it and it shifts like silk. The cassette range is incredible. I’ve actually got 2 cogs up front and was eyeing up a v cheap XTR side pull front but don’t think I’ll bother - don’t think I’ll ever need anything lower.

Most of my ride was in power lvl 3 a fair amount of 2 and some sporadic 4/5.

Actually thought my battery meter was broken, 15 miles in and still full! Moved down to 1/2 because I started to get range anxiety :D Eventually flashed the top bar about 2 miles later, and back to full now its sat in hallway - which seems crazy!

Anyway - thanks Woosh and all here for the info I’ve stolen whilst lurking and making my mind up

Jodel

Pedelecer
Oct 9, 2020
Excellent. I had just as much satisfaction in modifying my bike as I now do riding it. I bought a Woosh rear hub kit too and everything went together with a minimum of fuss. Enjoy the 'new' machine :)

Reactions: NoSleep

Atlav4

Pedelecer
Feb 16, 2020
Looks great, enjoy getting out and about and riding with the smile that comes guaranteed with woosh kits and bikes. Great choice of bike to convert, really sleek looking, excellent job.

Reactions: NoSleep

NoSleep

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 15, 2021
Looks great, enjoy getting out and about and riding with the smile that comes guaranteed with woosh kits and bikes. Great choice of bike to convert, really sleek looking, excellent job.
Thank you - and thanks for you advice earlier - was very very close to getting the Faro, though this is almost the same beast. Ive spent about the same but got to choose my own kit, so thats what swung it in the end - comes in about 13kg on the bathroom scales without the battery - so not a million miles from where you are now, entirely peddle-able with no assist so its nice to ride >15mph which was just what i wanted

Weve got some nice staircase lock on the local canal with some nice whoopy downhill section (deffo above 15mph when the path is clear :D) and its a bit reminiscent of my old rigid kona hardtail from the 80s, its actually lively, whippy and very responsive

You nailed it with the level 4/5 grin factor. Still unsure with the extra kilo or so on the battery, but its definately nice having the option for the range - done 30+ miles now and still got at least half battery left - which is nuts

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Charge it before your next ride. Li-ion batteries are OK with partial charges and you won't suffer from range anxiety.