My first conversion project - Carrera Subway 2

D

Deleted member 4366

I practice these calculations in my head. I can never remember the formulae, so I have to derive them from first principles. I'm OK with the first and second order derivatives, but for for the third order ones, I have to transform into the LaPlace plane. Tilson tells me I'm not technical enough, but I manage it OK.

Correct, you will go up the hill quicker, but, unfortunately, you cannot enjoy the speed down the hill as much as we heavyweights because you will reach your terminal velocity sooner than us.

spikey

Pedelecer
Aug 6, 2013
Thank you for summing up your methodology, I look forward to reading your thesis on the evolution of ebike D8veh or should that be Professor D8veh:D

Back to business, I've decided to go for a Bafang BBS02 36V 500W and those new shape bottle battery preferably stuffed with Samsung 29E cells so should have a capacity of 15ah. Kevin from BTN did say they can do 29E cells so hope I can get a package deal from him.

spikey

Pedelecer
Aug 6, 2013
I've been waiting for EM3ev to stock the BBS02 36V 500W model for ages after been told it was being ordered which I've given up. Having saw BMSbattery have the new bottle battery I've decided to order the whole kit from there. I went for the battery with the Panasonic cells.

I've heard conflicting feedback about their service and fingers crossed I've made the right decision. This is what I ordered
http://www.bmsbattery.com/central-motor/636-48v350w-bbs01-bafang-central-motor.html
http://www.bmsbattery.com/36v/682-bottle-ebike-battery.html

I asked them to do some custom programming, not sure if they'll do it, from reading this thread http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=58780

Hope I get it before summer is gone.

spikey

Pedelecer
Aug 6, 2013
Is the first time I've ever ordered from BMSBATTERY before and so unsure what to expect from them. It's probably my impatient, but could someone give their experience on how long things take to get dispatched.

My order was placed on late Tuesday night, and a few hours later the order status went from received to testing. I thought great that was quick, but has now remained in that status ever since. What's the average testing time and do they routinely notify you when it is dispatched and give you a tracking number or do you have to chase them.

awol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2013
Is the first time I've ever ordered from BMSBATTERY before and so unsure what to expect from them. It's probably my impatient, but could someone give their experience on how long things take to get dispatched.

My order was placed on late Tuesday night, and a few hours later the order status went from received to testing. I thought great that was quick, but has now remained in that status ever since. What's the average testing time and do they routinely notify you when it is dispatched and give you a tracking number or do you have to chase them.
Could stay on testing for a couple of weeks. When they dispatch it you do get a fedex tracking number to track it around the globe then delivery is about a week or less.

D

Deleted member 4366

If you order components, despatch can be immediate, but batteries and wheels usually take about 2 weeks. When it's nearly ready for shipping, status will change to QC. They're not always good at updating the status, but you'll get an email with a tracking number when it's despatched. Don't worry if the tracking number doesn't work.

if you have any queries when your stuff arrives, ask here first. It'll probably be quicker.

spikey

Pedelecer
Aug 6, 2013
Thanks guys for your reassuring comments. My order does include batteries so I have to be patient. Forgot to add that I used "Europe Express Line 2" delivery as per their advice, I assumed that is a trackable service.

spikey

Pedelecer
Aug 6, 2013
Good and bad news from BMSBattery. The good news it is ready for dispatch, bad news is they're out of stock of the connector between motor and battery. They say can dispatch now without the connector so what type of connector do they use so I can decide whether to wait.

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
Please don't do that. Those bullet connectors will work loose and melt in the end.

All batteries I've ever had from BMS have Anderson Powerpole 30A connectors on. Available on EBay.

I would buy a slack hand full of them, and also replace the crappy bullets on the phase wires, as they normally melt too.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
Last edited:

spikey

Pedelecer
Aug 6, 2013
Thanks Mike & Trex for your advice. I'm going get some anderson connectors and some heat shrink tubes.

spikey

Pedelecer
Aug 6, 2013
BMSBattery are a cheeky bunch, now they're demanding extra $30 for it to be delivered by TNT because of the battery. I already paid $161 for shipping. The cynical in me suggest they can afford to advertise to be cheap then slap on extra shipping cost to boost their profit margin and so wipe out any savings I've made.

Is this normal?

D

Deleted member 4366

They do it from time to time. It started when it suddenly became difficult to send batteries by air.

A couple of times, I refused to pay. They sent my stuff anyway, but of course it delayed shipment for a few weeks. I'm still not sure if it's sharp practice or a genuine cost that they incur.

I've had so many orders with them that I have vouchers from loyalty points, so I use them to pay it. That way, I still sort of don't have to pay.

spikey

Pedelecer
Aug 6, 2013
I'm glad I'm not the only one then..I've paid the extra to save further hassle and time.

I followed their recommended EU delivery method for batteries so thought it should be OK. I remember EM3EV had a delivery method especially for batteries so it was transparent what you had to pay upfront. It makes BMSbattery seem like a back room outfit.

spikey

Pedelecer
Aug 6, 2013
Well my Bafang BBS01 motor and battery has arrived.

Ordered on 30th June, shipped on 11th August and delivered today. Since my order included a battery, there was a 12 day wait before being shipped. It was delivered by TNT without request for tax & duty but aware the invoice will come later, hope it won't be too much.

They came in two sturdy boxes and were very well packaged with plenty of bubble wraps for the battery and moulded polysterene box for the motor.

The battery's base holder came with a cable prefitted bullet connectors on one end and bear wire on the other. Disappointed this cable was not soldered into the holder. I'm going to replace the bullet connectors with Anderson plugs.

Haven't had time to fit the motor yet, but have put the battery on charge. I hope I have not damaged it as there was a spark when I connected the charging plug to the battery. It seems to be charging OK though. I got this charger http://www.bmsbattery.com/alloy-shell/23-alloy-shell-180w-lifepo4li-ionlead-acid-battery-ebike-charger.html and the fan is constantly on sounding like a jet engine whilst charging. Is this normal?

It has now finished charging, if I leave the charger connected to the battery would this enable the BMS to balance the cells? How long would this take.

awol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2013

spikey

Pedelecer
Aug 6, 2013
Although the battery was fully charged, I've left it connected to the charger for a few days as I didn't have time to install the motor. I did noticed that when the battery was fully charged (green light on charger) the battery was obviously warm but later cooled down. However, I later noticed that the battery felt warm again. Is this the BMS working to balance the cells?

Today it has been an emotional roller coaster. Spent the whole day installing the BBS01 kit on my bike. Surprisingly I got the motor fitted pretty quickly as I expected problems trying to remove the bottom bracket. Most of the time spent on routing the cable neatly and hidden. This wasn't easy as the cables were far too long and I couldn't just cut the cable as they had multi-pin plugs prefitted. When I finished the installation and connected the battery I was so delighted it all worked first time. Like a kid with a new toy, I took it for a test ride only for a couple of miles as it was getting dark. I'm impressed with the torque going up hill. It also went over 20mph but yet to confirm the top speed as I never went beyond level 2 on the control panel. After the wide grin, I'm now worried as I noticed the motor has the dreaded clicking noise that I read on another forum that it could mean there is a problem. This clicking noise appears on throttle or pedalling with power assistance on. Also the noise appears when pedalling with the motor switched off. As I bought this kit from BMSBattery I expect nil afersale service, so can someone advice what I should do next?

spikey

Pedelecer
Aug 6, 2013
I wonder if anybody can help with my Bafang BBS01 kit.

Today I see error 21 on the display and nothing else. I believe it means it is not getting a signal from the speed sensor located on the rear wheel. I think the cable is OK as the actual speed sensor came apart when I unscrewed it to check.

I've been back to BMSBattery and awaiting their response but don't expect much help from them. The ones I've seen have extortinate postage cost of around £15. Does anyone know where I can get one for a reasonable price or even have a spare one I can buy from you.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
Error 21: speed sensor abnormality or disconnected.

1) Follow the speed sensor able, check for cable damage
2) Check the speed sensor connector
3) Check that the spoke magnet is facing the sensor and close to the sensor