My friends WISPER

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Didn't the Ezee bikes suffer from broken wheels because they didn't cut power to the motor before the brakes were applied? With just pedelec the cutouts would be essential as power does not stop as soon as you stop pedaling, and anyway you should be able to keep pedaling with the brakes applied to be able to change gear with derailers.
That's in theory, but I've never seen the slightest evidence that the eZee motor wheels suffered for that reason and cutouts are often not fitted with pedelec. eZee didn't used to fit cutouts on their bikes supplied into mainland Europe, and you won't find brake cutouts on most pedelec bikes. For example the popular Kalkhoffs don't have them, despite some "run-on" occasionally evident on the Panasonic unit. Neither does their 27 mph high speed S model which has derailleur gears.

The same goes for most hub motor pedelecs like the Giant Express and Freedom, Sparta Ion M-gear, Kalkhoff Aggatu F etc.

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
That's in theory, but I've never seen the slightest evidence that the eZee motor wheels suffered for that reason and cutouts are often not fitted with pedelec. eZee didn't used to fit cutouts on their bikes supplied into mainland Europe, and you won't find brake cutouts on most pedelec bikes. For example the popular Kalkhoffs don't have them, despite some "run-on" occasionally evident on the Panasonic unit. Neither does their 27 mph high speed S model which has derailleur gears.

The same goes for most hub motor pedelecs like the Giant Express and Freedom, Sparta Ion M-gear, Kalkhoff Aggatu F etc.
So if they are not required under EU law then they are not necessary in the UK then. Is that right or is it this fuzzy area still?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Very fuzzy I'm afraid. Technically we are supposed to be under the EU regulations, but the DfT opinion is that British law will apply at present in a UK court. That means brake cutout's are necessary on throttle controlled bikes.

Of course many bikes have switchable throttle only/pedelec control, so a police officer would have to prove a rider was in throttle only mode at the time. That could be next to impossible to do.