My Gtech eBike Sport review!.

Acer

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 25, 2017
London
The gradient is also important. How steep is your hill?
That is obvious. I can't say for certain that my hills are an exact match for what he dealt with but they look and feel steep. Of course the worse the gradient becomes the more this bike struggles, but I was out for a ride last night and the final part of the circuit takes me up a very steep hill. There was a fellow slowly inching his way up the worst part in what must have been the lowest gear. Oh how I chuckled as I flicked it to full assist and went sailing past.

• :D
Reactions: LeighPing
D

Deleted member 4366

Ok no problem. I am 70 kilos and reasonably fit. Strong, yes, but not lots of stamina. Certainly no Bradley Wiggins and not even much of a cyclist.
That makes sense now. That's quite a bit lighter than the average pedelecs forum member. Any electric bike would fly up hills with such a rider on. The Gtech is perfect for guys like you.

• Agree
Reactions: Steed

KeithMac

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 20, 2016
York
I'm 78kg (after Christmas!) and the Gtech is a perfect match for me.

As I've said a few times the bike doesn't ride itself, it needs some rider input.

The hub motor goes hand in hand with the single speed imho, where you would be struggling up hills due to gearing the motor helps out.

IR772

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2016
Leominster
That is obvious. I can't say for certain that my hills are an exact match for what he dealt with but they look and feel steep. Of course the worse the gradient becomes the more this bike struggles, but I was out for a ride last night and the final part of the circuit takes me up a very steep hill. There was a fellow slowly inching his way up the worst part in what must have been the lowest gear. Oh how I chuckled as I flicked it to full assist and went sailing past.
Oh, it's you that is making normal cyclists hate us.

With great power comes great responsibility.

• Agree
  • :D
Reactions: LeighPing and Gaz

Acer

Jan 25, 2017
London
I'm 78kg (after Christmas!) and the Gtech is a perfect match for me.

As I've said a few times the bike doesn't ride itself, it needs some rider input.

The hub motor goes hand in hand with the single speed imho, where you would be struggling up hills due to gearing the motor helps out.
I agree Keith. In the same way someone riding a geared bike would immediately drop gear as the gradient becomes tougher, the assist acts a bit like an automatic gear. Certainly with only partial assist engaged you still have to put a fair amount of effort in. The heart is pumping and you feel it in your thighs. If you aren't prepared to dig in at times with an ebike then better to buy a moped!

Reactions: KeithMac

theDaveB

Just Joined
I have had a g-tech since July last year. Love it and was doing a 12 mile round trip on it every day but now have moved closer to work and can walk in, still use the bike every now and again though.

For me it put the fun back into cycling, was getting too tired on my normal bike and was hating the journey. Got the g-tech and actually look forward to the journey.

Edit: Forgot to say the things I have changed. Replaced tyres with Marathons but on the originals I didn't get a picture for about 6 months. Pedals as they started making a noise and that annoys me. Grips on handlebars, far to hard for me. Seat, put my brooks on. Put a stem extender on to make the handlebars higher.

Dave

Last edited:

SSentif

Oct 12, 2016
Leeds
I have had my GTech for just about 6 months. I did post a review on this thread when I first got it - this is really a request for knowledge.
I would really like to fix a basket onto the handlebars. I was thinking of the Klickfix system with one of the Rixen and Kaul baskets.
Has anyone tried this? Any advice?

SSentif

Oct 12, 2016
Leeds
Update - i gave it a go in the end and it was very easy. I bought a standard Klickfix handlebar attachment with a lock and a Rixen and Kaul basket and it works perfectly.

• Informative

KeithMac

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 20, 2016
York
Well I'm a thousand miles in now (nearly all commuting) and it hasn't missed a beat.

I bought it for the slog to work and back with minimal maintenance and it's exceeded my expectations.

In 1000 miles I've adjusted the belt once (more out of curiosity than necessity) and adjusted the brake cables once. Maybe a little embarrassingly it hasn't had a clean since the day I bought it but might treat it at the weekend..

I've been over a fair bit of broken glass and touch wood the tyres have stood up to it (CST Safe + puncture proof), been through plenty of rain as well.

I charge it up every 36 miles now as I don't like to see the last light start flashing on the battery, but it will do 45 miles with no issues on flat/ moderate hills.

It's simplicity is it's best feature imho, looking forward to another thousand trouble free miles!.

Attachments

Liam

Just Joined
Aug 30, 2017
Bournemouth
Well I'm a thousand miles in now (nearly all commuting) and it hasn't missed a beat.

I bought it for the slog to work and back with minimal maintenance and it's exceeded my expectations.

In 1000 miles I've adjusted the belt once (more out of curiosity than necessity) and adjusted the brake cables once. Maybe a little embarrassingly it hasn't had a clean since the day I bought it but might treat it at the weekend..

I've been over a fair bit of broken glass and touch wood the tyres have stood up to it (CST Safe + puncture proof), been through plenty of rain as well.

I charge it up every 36 miles now as I don't like to see the last light start flashing on the battery, but it will do 45 miles with no issues on flat/ moderate hills.

It's simplicity is it's best feature imho, looking forward to another thousand trouble free miles!.
Hi Keith
Could you ride 6 miles on relatively flat road and arrive at work not sweaty.
I ride my road bike usually buy somedays I can't leave early enough to have time for a shower at work. Though this bike might be ideal for those days.
Cheers

• Agree

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
If you have a look around here, there are other suitable ebike options available. But a Gtech should suit your undemanding needs, in my opinion. I've ridden them. But I don't own one myself. :)

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
The Aerobike Xride seems very similar and £300 cheaper but not many reviews on it.
Except the Aerobike Xride is FWD (Front wheel drive). Whereas the Gtech is a RWD. If noise bugs you, I'd go for the RWD bike. Same 14 day return period though..

My bikes weigh lots. So I was pleasantly surprised when I rode the Gtech. You'll benefit from a suspension seatpost though. The lighter, cheaper, Bikehut seatpost from Halfrauds is superb for £12. It comes with a shim and 3 springs.

Here it is..

I've also sent you a pm. :)

Last edited:

Related Articles

Advertisers