My new bike

D

Deleted member 4366

Everything has advantages and disadvantages. You need to keep a balanced view of the overall situation. There's reasons why everybody isn't riding round on 20" wheels, or 16" wheels,or why not go further to 10" wheels? That's not to say that they're not suitable for some people.

Reactions: oldtom

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Done a good few miles now and still pleased with the bike.

The extra poke from the Bosch/derailleur is noticeable, improved still further by the small wheels - sharp acceleration up to my chosen (low) cruising speed.

Handling of the bike is much nippier than the Rose.

I pulled a wheelie climbing some single track, OK, the front wheel only just left the ground, but it was still good fun.

I've not done any serious climbing, but have noticed it climbs better than the Rose.

Comfort from the 20" balloon tyre is impressive, although they don't roll as well as a full-size wheeled bike.

The extra resistance also uses a little more battery power, maybe an extra 10 percent.

Quick-release wheels both ends reduces puncture anxiety.

Up ending the bike and handling the smaller wheel should be fairly easy - assuming the tyre comes off the rim without industrial strength levers.

The general wieldyness and ease of use of the bike would make it a good choice for a beginner or lady rider.

All in all, there's very little not to like about the AVE MH7.

Reactions: tillson

Electrifying Cycles

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2011
Great review we have a compact Bosch and I have to say they are very good. Pleased your getting on well with it!

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Great review we have a compact Bosch and I have to say they are very good. Pleased your getting on well with it!
Thanks.

Just back from another 25 miles.

No doubt there is some rolling resistance from the tyres.

Does 70psi sound about right?

Electrifying Cycles

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2011
Max PSI is 70 so that seems fine (assuming Big Apple tyres which normally come with it). I would be tempted to lower PSI to 60 and see if that makes any difference (may lower vibrations and resistance even though higher pressure normally means less resistance). The bikes I have with B. tyres roll well and the article below suggest rolling resistance is good but they sell balloon bikes so it is in their interest to say it.

http://www.balloonbikes.com/en/advantages.html
Also never forget Sheldon
http://sheldonbrown.com/tyres.html

Not conducted any extensive research myself but it would be interesting to compare same bike with Marathon tyres or others with even less rolling resistance.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Max PSI is 70 so that seems fine (assuming Big Apple tyres which normally come with it). I would be tempted to lower PSI to 60 and see if that makes any difference (may lower vibrations and resistance even though higher pressure normally means less resistance). The bikes I have with B. tyres roll well and the article below suggest rolling resistance is good but they sell balloon bikes so it is in their interest to say it.

http://www.balloonbikes.com/en/advantages.html
Also never forget Sheldon
http://sheldonbrown.com/tyres.html

Not conducted any extensive research myself but it would be interesting to compare same bike with Marathon tyres or others with even less rolling resistance.
Thanks for the links.

Seems 70psi is plenty, although I take Sheldon's point about there being plenty of headroom in the max rating.

The tyres on the Rose are 2" '29er' Marathon Supremes, which are a bit balloon like, but I reckon are harder compound than the Big Apples.

Conclusion is the difference I have noticed is mostly down to wheel size, which makes sense.

I will try 60psi as you suggest for my next excursion.

Electrifying Cycles

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2011
Thanks Rob looking forward to hearing more.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Well, the bloke who pumped up the tyres in the shop could have told me they would go down after a while.

Seems I've been riding recently with about 35psi front and rear.

Put just under 60psi in the front, which felt plenty hard enough.

A few more psi in the rear - with a nod to Sheldon.

Did about 45 miles today, and reasonably low rolling resistance has been restored.

Not as good as the Rose, which is to be expected, but the pressures I've set offer a good ride/resistance compromise.

Moral here is check your tyres more often than every six weeks.

Willber G

Pedelecer
Feb 15, 2014
Southampton
Having read this thread yesterday I pumped up my tyres (first time for a month). My throttle-only speed went from 12 to 13.5mph!

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
A couple of psi here or there makes little difference, but on my bikes I can certainly feel the impact of 10psi more or less.

Suppose one ought to check one's tyres every week, or at least every fortnight.

Willber G

Pedelecer
Feb 15, 2014
Southampton
10psi is about what I increased them by (they were 40, went down to 35, I increased to 45). I certainly felt the difference and will check them much more frequently from now on even if the bike hasn't been used much.