My new bike

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Congratulations Rob, that's a great bike and a terrific hill climber. I also like the fact that it's different from the mainstream.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Congratulations Rob, that's a great bike and a terrific hill climber. I also like the fact that it's different from the mainstream.
Thanks, Flecc.

The bike has already attracted some positive comments on the trail.

One guy liked the unusual cross-section of the cross bar and down tube.

superDove

Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2011
Cheshunt, Herts. UK
10-20 mile is my comfort zone for riding my brompton. I'd like to try 20 inch wheels as my ideal mileage is around 30-35 miles.
Would like a bike where the main frame folds though as I'm a train commuter.
Can the Brompton still justify it's place in the squad now Rob?

Jonah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2010
EX38
I really like the MH-7 and it was a toss up between this and the Kalkhoff Sahel Compacts that I bought in the end. They are very similar bikes and very comfortable. As with most Kalkhoffs, the bigger / longer lasting battery was a big factor for me as the bikes were / are used for longish rides. But it was a close call.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
10-20 mile is my comfort zone for riding my brompton. I'd like to try 20 inch wheels as my ideal mileage is around 30-35 miles.
Would like a bike where the main frame folds though as I'm a train commuter.
Can the Brompton still justify it's place in the squad now Rob?
I have a static caravan in North Yorkshire, one of the smaller bikes will take up residence there for the summer.

There may be some fleet rationalisation at some point, but there's no rush.

Reactions: superDove

Willber G

Pedelecer
Feb 15, 2014
Southampton
That's a good-looking bike and sounds ideal for what you're going to use it for. Still, it makes me realise what great value my Woosh Zephyr is with its full foldability (which I need) and full suspension (which I want) at about a third of the price.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
small size bikes like the AVE MH-7 and the Kalkhoff Sahel ought to be more popular than the sport bikes.
Assistance transforms these small vehicles - they are generally lighter, more manoevrable in urban areas, easier to carry on cars, cheaper etc.. but why so many people choose a bike because it looks like a sporty (non-electric) cousin? mad.

Reactions: flecc

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
That's a good-looking bike and sounds ideal for what you're going to use it for. Still, it makes me realise what great value my Woosh Zephyr is with its full foldability (which I need) and full suspension (which I want) at about a third of the price.
And then there was three.

I am going out for my first proper play on the new toy shortly and will get some pics.

In the meantime, perhaps members would like to speculate on what I have bought.

All guesses - even serious ones - welcome.
I like your statements "proper play" and "new toy". I still use those terms in my 60's.. I Always say "I'm going to play out on the bike, see you later!" you would think I would have grown up a bit by now!

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
small size bikes like the AVE MH-7 and the Kalkhoff Sahel ought to be more popular than the sport bikes.
Assistance transforms these small vehicles - they are generally lighter, more manoevrable in urban areas, easier to carry on cars, cheaper etc.. but why so many people choose a bike because it looks like a sporty (non-electric) cousin? mad.
I'm not sure that this is the case. I can understand the appeal of small wheeled compact bikes for people who need to travel by train or other forms of transport as part of their commute, but that isn't everyone. The small wheeled compact bikes come with disadvantages when compared to a full sized one and there is no point in accepting these disadvantages when it is not necessary to do so.

I do agree with regard to choosing and buying an electric bike on the basis that it doesn't look like an electric bike, that seems like a very strange thing to do.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
I had Londoners in mind - cwah recently pointed out that he needed the bike to fit inside the lift. Another poster had to carry the bike up 3 flights of stairs.
Surely small form factor deserves more attention?

Reactions: flecc

Electrifying Cycles

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2011
We also have a KTM compact. The AVE MH-7 is a nice bike though.

Reactions: Kudoscycles

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
I had Londoners in mind - cwah recently pointed out that he needed the bike to fit inside the lift. Another poster had to carry the bike up 3 flights of stairs.
Surely small form factor deserves more attention?
I had the rest of the country in mind. I can see why they would be popular and advantageous in London with people squeezing into flats and being crammed onto trains and having limited storage options.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
The smaller bike is much handier on the road and particularly trail.

One of my major ebiking annoyances is the various obstructions on cycle paths.

Pushing/lifting the AVE through these is far easier than with a full-size bike.

I also regularly encounter island pedestrian crossings.

These are ridable on the AVE, although I tend to get off and push if there are pedestrians about.

Which highlights another plus point - it's easier to mount and dismount the smaller bike.

My bikes live in the house in a cupboard under the stairs.

Much easier getting the smaller bike in and out, which makes me more likely to use it.

It's early days, but for my use the advantages of the smaller bike far outweigh the disadvantages.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I think the disadvantages of 20" wheels can be overplayed. Nearly 5.4 million of the original small wheeled Mini were produced and worked fine at up to 100 mph, or more on the race track. Countless millions of scooters and mopeds using much smaller than 20" wheels have been produced worldwide and work fine at speeds up to around 70mph.

On bikes there can be a very slight increase in roll resistance for a given tread, when compared with 26 to 28" wheels. Getting high enough gear ratios can challenge designers, but that isn't insoluble. A smaller front wheel alters bike handling characteristics, but for the better in some respects as much as for the worse in others.

I'm sure most of the disadvantages perceived by some are more due to cramped frame designs than to the wheel size, particularly true of many folders. If the frame geometry is right, a 20" wheel bike can easily compare with larger wheeled bikes for cycling pleasure.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
I think the disadvantages of 20" wheels can be overplayed. Nearly 5.4 million of the original small wheeled Mini were produced and worked fine at up to 100 mph, or more on the race track. Countless millions of scooters and mopeds using much smaller than 20" wheels have been produced worldwide and work fine at speeds up to around 70mph.

On bikes there can be a very slight increase in roll resistance for a given tread, when compared with 26 to 28" wheels. Getting high enough gear ratios can challenge designers, but that isn't insoluble. A smaller front wheel alters bike handling characteristics, but for the better in some respects as much as for the worse in others.

I'm sure most of the disadvantages perceived by some are more due to cramped frame designs than to the wheel size, particularly true of many folders. If the frame geometry is right, a 20" wheel bike can easily compare with larger wheeled bikes for cycling pleasure.
Needless to say, I agree - although only as of last week.

The steering on the AVE tends slightly towards Brompton twitchiness.

Nice and direct, but many riders would prefer the steering of a bigger wheeled bike.

Anyone seeking outright speed is also probably best advised to stick to big - and narrow - wheels.

On t'other hand, the acceleration of the small wheeled bike is better, so it can be quicker in stop start conditions.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The steering on the AVE tends slightly towards Brompton twitchiness.

Nice and direct, but many riders would prefer the steering of a bigger wheeled bike.
That's it exactly Rob, smaller front wheel equals faster steering. In motorcycle racing such as Moto GP, for races at tracks with numerous twists and turns a smaller front wheel is fitted to give fast turning, for the very fast straighter tracks a larger front wheel for greater stability at high speed.

The difference in diameter is only one or two inches to give those changes.

Reactions: superDove

Geebee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2010
Australia
I am a fan of small wheeled bikes, there are some very fast tyres out there if speed is desired, disc brakes are more effective with small diameter wheels and they are just generally easier bikes to own in many respects.

Reactions: superDove and flecc