My project is due shortly - PLEASE HELP

Andy_82

Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2008
Hi all,

Sorry for not posting for a while but I've been so busy (still I am) with doing my dissertation project that is due in less than a month time. As some of you may know from previous posts I work for Electric Bike Shed.co.uk and my project's main objective is to investigate different aspects of consumer behaviour in buying bit more expensive items online i.e ELECTRIC BIKES from a small businesses just like us.

I know many of you probably buys more expensive items online and some probably bought electric bike on the net. I really need your help so could you please complete a quick SURVEY ONLINE for me PLEASE:eek:

I checked average time takes roughly 1 minute 30secs. It's only 13 simple questions.

PLEASE HELP ME OUT and spend your few secs by completing this questionnaire here

Complete Online Survey HERE

I would also like to apologise all who may feel upset for me posting here. I know that Electric Bicycles section is most frequently visited by you so I had to post here. Soon I've got 100 of your responses I'm done

Thanks guys

Andy;)

BTW Those who are interested to see the report from results please send me PM

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I'm sure no-one will be upset Andy, it's very much in line with what this forum is about.

Survey return completed. :)

Dynamic Position

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2009
Glad to help out. Hopefully your research will lead to businesses raising the standards of on-line retailing.:)

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
all done this end

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Just did this.....I must add:) I dont think anyone is going to order a high price e bike completely online, without first getting some reviews/feedback on somewhere like here regards the company and its product. while its easy to press the button on a low price item, different altogether with a bike....

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
I filled it out but your assumption that PayPal offers extra consumer protection makes my answers more guarded, PayPal delivers far less consumer protection than it likes people to believe and it's nowhere near as good as paying by credit card.
It's difficult to put an amount on what I would be willing to spend with an unknown website as that amount will vary greatly depending on what I'm buying.

Hope it all goes well.

Straylight

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 31, 2009
True, but the reason I prefer to use paypal/google checkout for online transactions is that they negate the risk of revealing my card details to every web shop I use, as well as rarely going through the whole tedious account creation procedure. These systems also deserve credit for allowing fledgling businesses to have minimal overheads related to e-commerce, through not having to invest in their own secure servers, which in turn allows them to be more competitive price wise.

Andy_82

Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2008
Guys,

thank you to all of you who completed the survey. The response rate is peety good however still need some more responses. I really encourage those who still haven't completed one to do so.

You can do it here

Many thanks

Andy

Andy_82

Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2008
Just did this.....I must add:) I dont think anyone is going to order a high price e bike completely online, without first getting some reviews/feedback on somewhere like here regards the company and its product. while its easy to press the button on a low price item, different altogether with a bike....
Totally agree with you Eddie. That is one of my assumptions and those who buy blind online also exist but the majority of consumers is like you. Firstly tries to investigate if the product is any good.

Then... if the retailer is any good or at least legitimate

I got my hypothesis but I really need to see and test it how it goes.

Many thanks for your contribution

Andy_82

Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2008
Does PayPal offer you extra protection

I filled it out but your assumption that PayPal offers extra consumer protection makes my answers more guarded, PayPal delivers far less consumer protection than it likes people to believe and it's nowhere near as good as paying by credit card.
It's difficult to put an amount on what I would be willing to spend with an unknown website as that amount will vary greatly depending on what I'm buying.

Hope it all goes well.
Thanks Mussels for your thoughts. Mind you asking if you had any bad experience with PayPal???

I would also love to have your views here. Apart from having just quantitative analysis I got to have some qualitative ones as well so I think the small focus group here on pedelecs would be a fantastic thing.

I know that majority of consumers perceive PayPal and Google Checkout (from previous research that someone else did) as the additional protection. I don't know what are the PayPal's procedures if you bike and you don't get it all but what makes people feel safer is the fact that their Credit Card details are not seen by the merchant which might be even selling out of his bedroom.

So overall the likelihood of your CC details being hacked are low (unless someone hacks your Paypal password - then you are screwed up:eek:

But do you know what guys. It would be great to see your views how you perceive the 3rd party payment gateways and what gives you most security online.

We at Electric Bike Shed.co.uk use Google Checkout mainly because we perceive it as safe and easy method to our customers for checkout and it also offers some extra advantages to the merchants comparing to PayPal. PayPal on the other hand is more known and more users have PayPal accounts.

Will be great to hear your views.

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
One thining to add Andy_82, I don't recall seeing anything about geographical location...maybe I overlooked it but this also has an affect on my purcahsing decisions as buying something from say China would mean I'm not going to be covered by the distance buying rules....

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Ive had bad experiences with paypal over ebay transactions. but will admit I like the option when buying online, as I get a little nervous using the credit card... BUT credit card purchases offer far more back up and protection IMO

so paypal for a £1000 plus e bike? not a chance!

Andy_82

Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2008
One thining to add Andy_82, I don't recall seeing anything about geographical location...maybe I overlooked it but this also has an affect on my purcahsing decisions as buying something from say China would mean I'm not going to be covered by the distance buying rules....
Thanks NRG,

You are totally right as someone already send me a PM about this issue. When you design the questionnaire you make several changes and I even released the pilot series to see how my respondent see it.

Now I know that I will have to put this in limitations of this research and leave it as subject to further investigation (hopefully someone else will do it)

Last month I bought a SUBARU T-shirt on Ebay from Hing Kong ( I was very greedy for the low price) and the T-shirt still hasn't arrived. So far bit disappointing to wait so long but I hope it will arrive one day :D

Never more shopping in China, sorry Chinese traders;)

Andy_82

Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2008
Ive had bad experiences with paypal over ebay transactions. but will admit I like the option when buying online, as I get a little nervous using the credit card... BUT credit card purchases offer far more back up and protection IMO

so paypal for a £1000 plus e bike? not a chance!
Do you know why?

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
I would bet it will arrive......but it may take a while and may not fit:D