My project is due shortly - PLEASE HELP

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I will never have anything to do with PayPal again. I found their enrollment system utterly dishonest, at each stage saying things like, "just one more step", then requiring many more, the whole process endless.

Frankly I was so angry that as soon as I'd finally received the funds from the one transaction done I shut down the account.

Then they showed what a despicable outfit they are. I was immediately flooded with quantities of PayPal spam for the following couple of months, then it suddenly stopped again. This was patently set in motion by them.

Such an outfit is not fit to be in any position to deal with financial transactions.

I do use WorldPay (which is a rather different thing of course) when it crops up and have never had any complaints. Indeed on the one occasion I needed to pursue something by email I received instantaneous personal telephone service with courteous calls from the USA and Australia, the problem resolved in under thirty minutes, and that was for a transaction of a mere £30.

Last edited:

rog_london

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 3, 2009
Harrow, Middlesex
PayPal have a less than shiny reputation - I have heard many, many stories of people who have received little or no recompense from them when a transaction has gone wrong. You get much better protection from direct use of a credit card for transactions over £100 because the card company is liable for any default on the part of the trader as long as they are not in a country beyond jurisdiction.

Paypal often say they will only refund to the extent that they can withdraw funds from the defaulter's account - so if the account is empty, tough. That's unless they've cleaned their act up in the recent past.

They're now part of e-bay, but I still don't hear anything good.

The best way at present seems to be the credit card's own escrow system, where a seller refers you to the bank's site directly and you enter a personal code. The seller doesn't see your card number or your personal code. Barclays do it, and so do MBNA - probably others too. The seller gets confirmation that the money is available.

Rog.

alex_h

Pedelecer
Dec 28, 2009
just completeed one as well, good luck with the project. And for the paypal thing i use them regularly and never had any problem so i can't say much about it here

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
Thanks Mussels for your thoughts. Mind you asking if you had any bad experience with PayPal???
My own experience with PayPal didn't involve a lot of money but did show how rubbish their complaints procedure is. I opened a complaint against a trader and for a few days it showed that it was waiting for a response from me (I was never asked anything) and then closed in the traders favour with no comeback.
You have a very limited time to make a complaint with PayPal.
The trader has to have money in his ebay account to get anything back.

I've heard a few other complaints but can't verify them. PayPal also makes a point in it's T&Cs that it is not operate deposit accounts so any money in your account when it goes bust is lost, I guess that means it doesn't need to pay the normal insurance to Luxembourg where it was granted bank status.
It seems to cut corners and use small print to avoid responsibilities you would expect from a bank or credit card.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
They're now part of e-bay, but I still don't hear anything good.

Rog.
I've found ebay equally obtuse, and dishonestly treating purchasing at the offer price as being under their auction rules, i.e. no cancellations, a clear breach of many national laws.

Birds of a Feather, ebay and PayPal were meant for each other like Bonnie and Clyde.

Paulius55

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 1, 2010
Rushden, Northants, NN10
Andy, survey completed. I have to say that you are likely to get very polarised views on any subject when discussed like this and it is not surprising that the people who have had a bad experience will be more vociferous than others who have had a good experience. I have used PayPal on hundreds of occasions with no issues and will continue to do so in the future, so I see the PayPal sign on a website as a strong positive. I suspect that the Pareto Principle is operating here where 90% of the problems happen to 10% of the people. If PayPal was really as bad as the 10% suggest then it would fail as a business. This is clearly not the case.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
If PayPal was really as bad as the 10% suggest then it would fail as a business.
Perhaps not as cut and dried as that. Enveloped within ebay, realistically it cannot fail. If it had been so strong a business, it would have been likely to continue independently and not be taken over by a vested interest.

alex_h

Pedelecer
Dec 28, 2009
I thin PayPal even without Ebay would have a strong position. They are just so easy to set up for businesses to give them opportunity to accept cards

Completed,glad to help.

One caviate would add. When shopping on line i will try and find out as much as possable about the porduct and try and see it if possable. The more i can reseach,do and see will affect the amount i am willing to spend on line. As i did with my cyclomatic, no way i spend £500 blind

Dynamic Position

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2009
Last summer I found a static caravan was available for hire for a week in Rhyl. Bidding started at £250 and the owner had a buy now option for £400.
When I enquired with the owner I was happy to offer the £400 but not willing to sign up to Pay Pal to make the payment (just because I did not want to).
The bargain was struck and I set the payment terms - cash on arrival.;)
No problem and had a great family break:cool:
I actually scored because normally the owner requires an additional deposit on arrival, but the agreement had been made without mention of a deposit.:)
My only worry - how safe was my new e-bike sitting back home?:D

Andy_82

Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2008
Hi all,

My data collection slowly comes to the end. I would like to thank all those decided to fill in this short survey. Your help is really very much appreciated. Unlike other students I managed to collect enough within my minimum number of responses (100) within first 24 hours of going online.

I know my mates collect 100 responses for over one week. Be smart, play smart and save your time. You guys did a fantastic job, once again many thanks

Those who still wish complete one you can do it at the link below:

Consumer behaviour online

Closing time is today @ midnight

take care

Andy

Andy_82

Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2008
Got The First Class Degree

Thank you to everyone who completed this survey and helped me out in my dissertation. Today the letter with results from uni arrived and I got the FIRST CLASS DEGREE. It's been a really hard work and thank you to all of you for help. Without your help I couldn't make it