My Torq Story

ITSPETEINIT

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 11, 2006
Mere, Wilts
PDF Manuals

Hi Russ

Sorry missed your thread,
Thats a good idea to a pdf of each manual on here, I will see if our guys can muster some manuals of each model to email to you.

Thanks

Scott
I sent Mr. Ching the web address of a typical PDF Manual (below) on the 8th July inviting him to look at it and, perhaps, adopt a suitable version of that format for eZee Bikes: it seemed to me an ideal solution to printing and distribution.
http://www.tresterra.com/manual.pdf
Regards
Peter

ITSPETEINIT

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 11, 2006
Mere, Wilts
Japanese economics.

hi flecc i know it cost al lot to import stuff but 50cycles were selling the panasonic bike for i think £1200 it sells there for well under 600 i think if those bike were built and sold here for simmilar money a lot more would have been sold i dont speak or read japanese but i would be surprised if power unit is very different maybe the chips are that controll the power any anyone interested can look on ƒpƒiƒ\ƒjƒbƒN@ƒTƒCƒNƒ‹ƒeƒbƒNŠ”Ž®‰ïŽÐ

jim
Ah so!

Peter

coops

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 18, 2007
Manchester U.K.
Hi prState :)

prState said:
this thread is selling me on the F series and off the Torq which I had weighed fairly evenly up to now with pro or cons.
If you're seriously looking, and you prefer the 700C/28" Torq wheels to the F-series' 26", but you want a motor with a bit more "oomph", you could wait to see if the Torq option with higher power (like F-series) front motor, front suspension forks & disc brake option, currently on sale at Ezee South Africa, becomes more widely available ;).

You could always buy a second battery for greater (offroad) range :rolleyes: :).

Stuart.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
hi flecc i know it cost al lot to import stuff but 50cycles were selling the panasonic bike for i think £1200 it sells there for well under 600 i think if those bike were built and sold here for simmilar money a lot more would have been sold i dont speak or read japanese but i would be surprised if power unit is very different maybe the chips are that controll the power any anyone interested can look on ƒpƒiƒ\ƒjƒbƒN@ƒTƒCƒNƒ‹ƒeƒbƒNŠ”Ž®‰ïŽÐ

jim
I see Scott has answered much of what you said in the interim, but to his answer I'd add scale. The costs of supply and support for a bike like that Panasonic folder in a very small UK market are very high by comparison with Japan where very many thousands of these bikes were sold. As for building here, that's out of the question for a small market, as has been demonstrated in many areas, including bicycles. Since as Scott explained the Japanese pricing could not be emulated, such a large scale of sales is unachievable in our market. We in this forum are very much a minority, the great majority of our population stubbornly sticking to the car (preferably 4 x 4) for the arduous 500 yards to the newsagent, school etc.

The Japanese are far more receptive of alternative transport.

ITSPETEINIT

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 11, 2006
Mere, Wilts
Warranties and the law

i hear what you are saying about having to factor in extendended warranties by law in the u s a but NCYE WHEELS seem to manage it and for a price of £1077 pounds ,but i appreciate you may have to pay a state tax on top of that. that aside everyone seems to to have dodged the issue of our lousy six month warranty and i have my doubts whether this ,would stand up in consumer law ,i refer to goods being fit for purpose they were made.
I was considerably miffed when I discovered that the battery warranty was only six months from 50Cycles/eZee Cycles, and it occurred to me that for such an expensive item (on the face of it) 6 months suggests a lack of confidence in the product by ......well, who? (read on). 'Fit for purpose' comes readily to mind.
I had a lengthy (not many, just long) email correspondence with Mr. Ching of Ezee and he stated that they were constrained by local conditions and the law of the country in which the product is sold in determining the guarantee/warranty period. To discover the mechanics of those decisions is something we are not privy to.
I too discovered the 12 months guarantee/warranty given by Nycewheels, USA and used that as a basis for discussion with Mr. Ching.
What I also discovered was that the Lithium Battery used by Ezee Cycles is made by the Li-ion Battery Company in Beijing and their website, on the subject, quotes a period of 1 year and further states (if I have read it correctly) that a retailer of its batteries may NOT change that period.
Too late I discovered the period of 2 years given by Gazelle to use it in my discussions with Mr. Ching.

Out of interest here is the warranty given by Nycewheels, and it is by no means straightforward - it depends on the state of the union to which the product is delivered (I think that's what is meant by the paragraphs in red).

Zee Bike, Warranty

eZee bike electric bikes warrants to the original purchaser of each new bicycle that the following components will be free from defects in material and workmanship for the period indicated
Frame: For 5 years (60 months) as long as the original purchaser owns the bike.
Batteries: One year (12 months) from purchase
All other components: One year (12 months) from purchase.
eZee bike electric bikes further warrants that any repair or replacement parts supplied will be free from defects in material and workmanship for a period of one year from the date of purchase.
LIMITED REMEDY
Unless otherwise provided, the sole remedy under the above warranty or any implied warranty, is limited to the replacement of defective components and parts with those of equal or greater value at the sole discretion of eZee. The customer will be responsible for labor costs associated with warranty replacements.
IN NO EVENT SHALL eZee BE RESPONSIBLE FOR DIRECT, INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, DAMAGES FOR PERSONAL INJURY, PROPERTY DAMAGE, OR ECONOMIC LOSSES, WHETHER BASED ON CONTRACT, WARRANTY, NEGLIGENCE, PRODUCT LIABILITY, OR ANY OTHER THEORY.
Some states do not allow the exclusion or limitation of damages, so the above limitation or exclusion may not apply.
EXCLUSIONS
THE ABOVE WARRANTY, OR ANY IMPLIED WARRANTY, DOES NOT COVER NORMAL WEAR AND TEAR. ALL WARRANTIES ARE VOID IF THE ELECTRIC BIKE IS USED FOR OTHER THAN NORMAL ACTIVITIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, FAILING TO FOLLOW THE OWNER'S MANUAL OR USING THE ELECTRIC VEHICLE FOR COMMERCIAL ACTIVITIES OR IN COMPETITIVE EVENTS, AND TRAINING FOR SUCH ACTIVITIES OR EVENTS. eZee MAKES NO OTHER WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED. ALL IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, ARE LIMITED IN DURATION TO THAT OF THE EXPRESS WARRANTIES STATED ABOVE.
Some states do not allow limitations on how long an implied warranty lasts, so the above limitation may not apply. This warranty gives you specific legal rights, and you may also have other rights which vary from state to state.

Peter

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Under European law applicable to all member countries, everything is warrantied for up to six years, the period for a product being fixed by the court trying a case in relation to what is considered a reasonable life for that product. The case has to brought by the complainant.

Supplier warranties have no force over that.

prState

Pedelecer
Jun 14, 2007
Las Vegas, Nevada
Hi prState :)

If you're seriously looking, and you prefer the 700C/28" Torq wheels to the F-series' 26", but you want a motor with a bit more "oomph", you could wait to see if the Torq option with higher power (like F-series) front motor, front suspension forks & disc brake option, currently on sale at Ezee South Africa, becomes more widely available ;).

You could always buy a second battery for greater (offroad) range :rolleyes: :).

Stuart.
Cool, didn't even know about an newer Torq model.

Don't know if this or agrees or diagrees with what's been said, Giant Twist (Lafree Lite) manual in the U.S. says 6 months Warranty for my battery. Fortunately, it's been 4 years almost to the day. I believe I'm correct in adding though, that the local bike shop I ordered it from is free to add their additional coverage, though I'm pretty sure they didn't add to what Giant offered.

Ian

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 1, 2007
Leicester LE4, UK.
Another Torq Story - A Happy One

I've had mine for just on a year now and love it, have done a few mods to make a good bike even better and to make it better suit my needs, nothing radical though ;) . It is a cyclists bike so it may not suit anyone looking for an easy ride but for me it's just great. I also have a Sprint, undoubtedly a good bike but for me it lacks that indefinable fun element.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I'll second what Ian said, the Torq character is unique, and I was careful not to lose it in the T bike, and indeed have slightly added to it.

If someone is fit enough and can cope with the hillclimb limitation and other areas mentioned, the Torq repays in a way that no other e-bike can. The F series are more powerful and can give both the Torq's speed and better hill climbing and comfort, but none of the character since its all just too easy.

It's precisely the Torq's lack of low speed torque and peak power coming in late that gives a feel of power going on for ever, increasing as the speed rises, which couple with a keen rider's efforts in an especially rewarding way. The enthusiastic rider has the impression of not only being better than they really are, but getting stronger as the bike's speed and the scale of their apparent achievement increases. Yes, it really is a bike that justifies psycho-analysis!

This is completely the opposite of virtually all other e-bikes which just do a job of one sort or another in a mechanical and characterless way, adding little to a rider's experience.

Last edited:

coops

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 18, 2007
Manchester U.K.
I'll second all Ian's remarks, except no Sprint here :), and with the proviso that its still early days for my ownership (few months) and more time is required for me to be convinced of long term reliability (under "normal" usage) - watch this space! - but the cyclist's bike fun element is definitely there: very much a matter of personal taste & needs though :).

to prState: take a look at this thread and the links within to Ezee SAfrica to see what I mean - 2 motor options for the Torq. I haven't heard of it available elsewhere yet though.

I've never ridden 700c/28" before the Torq, but I've come to appreciate the better rolling for fast trips over long distances :). I think 26" may be a little more compact & "manoeuvreable" while retaining some good rolling characteristics too. The higher power motor option for the Torq is likely similarly internally geared to the F-series, and if so gearing up a little from 26" to 28" wheel size will reduce hillclimbing a little bit, but given the torque of F-series motors that shouldn't be a big problem :).

EDIT: (after reading flecc's last post) Will lose most of the "character" of the original Torq which flecc described very comprehensively though... but it depends what you're after :).

EDIT: flecc beat me to it, very accurate & revealing description too flecc :) So long as its just the bike you're psycho-analysing though... :D :rolleyes:.

Stuart.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Cool, didn't even know about an newer Torq model.
I saw that about this Torq variant, but it was not clear whether the South African dealer was creating this variation by arrangement with eZeebike, rather than an eZeebike initiative. I wondered whether this was just for South African back road conditions.

I couldn't really see the point, since putting an F series (Fury) front suspension fork and motor into a Torq just make another F series (Fury) bike. The frames are very similar, and all the Torq character is lost. :confused:

nigel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 18, 2006
Nigel

I let my daughter have a ride on my torq today in a local park which is nice and flat and boy the smile on her face was some thing to be hold she was wizzing up and down all the hills i worried if i might get my bike back all the battery might go flat:D she loved it and thought as electric bikes go she liked its sporty look:) funny cos thats what i like about my torq:p

nigel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 18, 2006
Nigel

Hi scott
my daughter is 22 and about 5ft 3ins a bit small for the torq me and my grandson were just watching loony mum having a great time on my torq i think she would love the quando 2 it would be just right for her anyway i know she enjoyed her first electric bike ride:D