My trike arrived

annsimpson

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2014
I finally got my e trike last week after one of the parcels went missing at Gatwick causing dhl to search all over for it, putting it together was ok with good instructions and the electrics already being on the bike so it was just like flat pack. I have ridden it round the garden etc but god its terrifying, its the fact that it tilts on slopes and I feel like I'm falling off and can't stay straight I hope it will get better with practise as at the moment I'd be lethal on a road. I'm not using my normal bike as I think that would make things even worse but whether a trike will replace it will remain to be seen.

Reactions: Geebee and trex

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
I sat on a trike at the bike show that tilted, it felt really weird and caught me out although I was expecting it. I bet once acclimatised it will be best thing since sliced bread, but it will be like learning to ride a bike again. Remember that?

newboater

Pedelecer
Mar 24, 2014
i remember that, my father running alongside holding the saddle ,shouting look ahead not at the wheel

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
i remember that, my father running alongside holding the saddle ,shouting look ahead not at the wheel
I didn't look at the lamp post.

Geebee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2010
Australia
Good news about the trike showing up, and quickly as well.
As others have indicated it will take time to get used to.

annsimpson

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2014
I think I'll have to wait until we get the carrier sorted to try it properly, we,ll take it to one of the cycle paths, from home I have to go out onto a main road as the paths aren't wide enough even if I thought it was legal to ride it on one. One thing the dog is happy sitting in the back basket its big enough for a proper bed and he just lays down and goes to sleep. Thanks for the positive replies all I got from hubby was him standing in the road shouting and calling me useless,and that he'd sell all my bikes and I could walk, which didn't help

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Some tips Ann. Forget it's a bicycle and think of it like a boat with a tiller when you first sit on it. Set off slowly with only one hand on one side of the handlebars and just push or pull on that side to steer. That way it won't feel like a bike and you won't be subconciously trying to balance it. Once thoroughly used to that you can adapt to two hands control.

Then to deal with the tilt, especially on corners, take all corners more slowly and try not to lean in compensation. Again to help with that initially, try some corners with one hand only control. The fear that it will fall over when tilting a bit is natural, but we tend to overdo the risk of that happening. Despite being narrow, they can lean a quite a bit without falling over.

annsimpson

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2014
that looks fun and might be more stable as you're close to the ground and as it adjust to the angle would feel more like a normal bike?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
that looks fun and might be more stable as you're close to the ground and as it adjust to the angle would feel more like a normal bike?
Yes they do Ann. Sadly they are of necessity expensive and rare. The banking three wheeled concepts successfully came to mopeds too, as you've probably seen: