Nano brompton safety cut out (chapter 2)

Dawn Daykin

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 2, 2014
Hi there again, after treading water ('scuse the pun ) for these dreadful few weeks, I finally got round to ringing Linda at nano brompton
She got back to me at tea time and said I could simply snip the cable at both ends ( the controller box end, and the sensor end) and that would be the end of that..... The trouble is after such a big spend, I'm really nervous of doing it...... I'd appreciate your thoughts on the matter . dawn :)

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Yes I guess you could do that, I assume its locked on ? but for that kinda of money I would hope they would find/offer a solution to fix it ?

If you are local I will fix it for you, I am based in Cambridge.

I have done several Brompton conversions as you can see in my sig and done a few for others.

Jerry

D

Deleted member 4366

Wouldn't it be easier to pull the connector apart?

Dawn Daykin

Feb 2, 2014
Linda said not to take the connector apart as they at watertight and contain other connections

Dawn Daykin

Feb 2, 2014
I'm in yorkshire :) hence the lack of brompton info :D there's not many round here :D

Dawn Daykin

Feb 2, 2014
Thanks jerry, no it's not locked on the magnet just has a habit of slipping when I'm going uphill ( usually in bad weather ) I have a disability and pedalling isn't always an option :D I've got to a point where I just don't feel secure going far in case it happens and I can't twist it back into place, that's why I'd like to disable it completely ...ha ha like me I guess :D

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Well cutting it both ends (or even one end and securing the wire) should fix it from coming on accidently and turning off the motor (I think that is what you are saying when you say slipping) but if the cut wire(s) at the ends should touch each other it will cut the motor but I suspect that would be unlikely if you snip one/them cleanly.

Have Nano not suggested you post it back to them to fix ? is it still under warranty ?

Jerry

Dawn Daykin

Feb 2, 2014
We just took the plunge snipped it off both ends ...................whew all ok !!!!!!!!! Thanks for all your advise, nano were very supportive but can't remove it for you as it's a legal requirement, but I dint trust it at all after the magnet started physically slipping in the brake lever , and cutting the motor, as I can't pedal unaided always. Just need to get out again now and build my confidence back up :D

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Good job. Although as you say technically they are a legal requirement many run without them. I run with one on the front and actually have a cutout switch as well on the side of my Brompton bag so I can kill all power.

I still think if its under warranty Nano should have fixed it for you. But then I guess getting the bike there and back would have been a hassle or cost a lot in postage!

Regards

Jerry