National Cycle Route One to close?

neptune

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2012
Boston lincs
National Cycle Route One passes through the village of Langrick ,5 miles north of Boston, Lincs. Where the riverside off-road section ends the route passes through a pub car park to reach the main road . The pub , formerly "The Barge" has relatively recently changed owners, and become the "Witham And Blues". The new owner has been in dispute with Sustrans, claiming that there never was a formal agreement for the route to cross the pub car park.
Today I met a local cyclist in the area, who says there has been a court case , and that the pub owner won. She told me that on several occasions lately , the gate between the cycle route and the car park has been locked. Owing to the local geography, the shortest possible diversion would be about a quarter of a mile, if right of way could be obtained and would be expensive.
Does anyone have more info or know where I could find more please?

neptune

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2012
Boston lincs
I think that it is unlikely to close completely and permanently for several reasons.Firstly, it sees a lot of use by dog walkers joggers, walkers and local cyclists as well as long distance users passing through. Secondly, Sustrans has invested a lot of money on this stretch. There is a way round but it involves lifting your bike over styles. The thing that gets me is the small mindedness of the pub owner . There is plenty of room, and people may be tempted to stop for a drink or a meal. He has said in the past that there may be insurance issues. All he needs is notices to say that it is not a public right of way, and that travellers pass at their own risk. Legally he may need to close it one day a year [Xmas day?], job done .

HD462

Pedelecer
Apr 23, 2012
Teesside, UK
It wouldn't close completely, route one comes up here in the north east of England. They may have to make a detour in your area, parts of it here are on road, but the route will still exist. The part of it near us that follows a disused railway line, I was riding years before it was ever an 'official' route.

Scimitar

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 31, 2010
Ireland
I also am amazed at the attitude of the pub owner - I would think not many pubs are in the position of being able to alienate potential customers. Silly, silly man.
Second thoughts; he's obviously just a fool - many country pubs make a regular living from being on routes like this; cycling, walking, canals, etc.

robinnj

Finding my (electric) wheels
Dec 16, 2010
Sustrans Route One

I also am amazed at the attitude of the pub owner - I would think not many pubs are in the position of being able to alienate potential customers. Silly, silly man.
Second thoughts; he's obviously just a fool - many country pubs make a regular living from being on routes like this; cycling, walking, canals, etc.
Hi, I am planning to use this route next week and a friend contacted the pub, here was the reply.

No, we are in legal negotiations with Sustrans about the footpath as prior to us buying the property they built the footpath with no planning consent which has left us open to insurance issues. We are confident that the issue is now being sorted but at no point had the footpath ever been closed. If you would like to discuss the matter further then please call us and we will provide you with any information you might need regarding this part of the route which, by the way, runs along our private property. Call 01205 280546. Witham and Blues

Hope it helps.

Scimitar

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 31, 2010
Ireland
Oh well; perhaps I misjudged him - otoh, perhaps he realised the neg publicity that was being generated :)

Jimod

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2010
Polmont
So, asking him about cyclecharge might not be a bad idea. :)

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
But wear a helmet if you approach him with this suggestion.
There is a first time for everything..... So you do think cycle helmets safer!

neptune

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2012
Boston lincs
I suppose then that the lesson here is not to listen to local gossip. I was aware that there was an ongoing dispute between Sustrans and the "Witham and Blues". There have been notices displayed to that effect for some time. I have never personally never found the gate locked. It would rarely effect me if it was , because if I use this route, this is usually the point at which I turn back home. The good news is that the route is still open. I hope that this dispute is resolved in a way acceptable to both parties .