near miss today

footpump

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 19, 2014
hi all
just going up the brow of a hill was overtaken by a scooter
by the time I was going downhill the scooter was a quite away ahead.
I'm thinking bit more power than my ebike.
when a car reverses out of a driveway, parked cars either side, luckily I managed to slam on the brakes, a big squeal and the rear of the bike did a bit of a bunny hop.
a few choice words at the rather sheepish looking driver,
had it been wet and the scooter driver a few seconds slower or me just that fraction faster might have been a different outcome.
I normally keep out in the road a bit to avoid opening car doors. first time in 12 years I have had a near miss on this local hill.
I don't know how the driver could actually anything as there were parked cars either side and all the way up the pavement and he in small fiat 500

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

Ultrafunkula

Pedelecer
Mar 18, 2011
I had a guy do that when I was on a moped years ago, I drew level with him, to which he said that I shouldn't be on the road anyway and drove off! As a family youthful lad back then I followed him about 2 miles to which he pulled onto another drive and got out, i at first asked why no apology and then about the abuse, to which he replied with abuse and took a swing at me, I dodged and landed sweet on the end of his chin to which he hit the floor, he probably looks very carefully now before he backs off his driveway.
I did notify police and they said if he calls them to put a complaint in they would contact me as witness to his careless driving lol.

Crockers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2014
Sad thing is if he had pulled out a knife we may not have been reading your
Post. Never really makes sense confronting a tw@t. Makes more sense having a camera

• Agree
Reactions: LeighPing

grldtnr

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
south east Essex
I had a guy do that when I was on a moped years ago, I drew level with him, to which he said that I shouldn't be on the road anyway and drove off! As a family youthful lad back then I followed him about 2 miles to which he pulled onto another drive and got out, i at first asked why no apology and then about the abuse, to which he replied with abuse and took a swing at me, I dodged and landed sweet on the end of his chin to which he hit the floor, he probably looks very carefully now before he backs off his driveway.
I did notify police and they said if he calls them to put a complaint in they would contact me as witness to his careless driving lol.
Let's be sensible about this, both parties need to be carefull In this situation, being on a bike, you have the advantage of good sight lines,as soon as you see movement ,you should be on the brakes, sound a warning, ( a good holler helps ) the other party , moving aforethought of restricted vision, should take every care in emerging, even to the point of posting a lookout, berating causes resentment, occasionally fisticuffs, NOT the ideal is it?

• Agree
Reactions: flecc and LeighPing

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
berating causes resentment, occasionally fisticuffs, NOT the ideal is it?
In this case he obviously had the right to self defence. Although, walking away was also an option. Conflict resolution would, I agree, have been best done by submitting video evidence of the incident. But that's hardly to be expected from someone that doesn't have an avatar.

They also say that to forgive is divine. o_O