Neat / tidy long cables on Bafang BBS02 ?

stuck-indoors

Finding my (electric) wheels
Dec 26, 2018
Peak District
I'm just putting together my first ebike build, and I've got quite a lot of extra cable length that I don't need: I've routed the main "controls" cable underneath the downtube (because there were spare grips for a cable already on the frame) and so all the brake/display/etc cables are long. What do people normally do to try and neaten things up? wrap them around the frame or zip-tie them out of the way?

I've also got a couple of short, unused cables coming from the BBS02 - a gear change sensor? and possibly light power? Again, should I just zip-tie these out of the way.

Ta :)

minexplorer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2017
Four Lanes,Cornwall
I'm just putting together my first ebike build, and I've got quite a lot of extra cable length that I don't need: I've routed the main "controls" cable underneath the downtube (because there were spare grips for a cable already on the frame) and so all the brake/display/etc cables are long. What do people normally do to try and neaten things up? wrap them around the frame or zip-tie them out of the way?

I've also got a couple of short, unused cables coming from the BBS02 - a gear change sensor? and possibly light power? Again, should I just zip-tie these out of the way.

Yeah its the biggest pain with these kits ,why do they do that.Do they think we all ride recumberents? They should provide a seperate kit for those with extra long cables. Ive got the gear and light wires rolled up an zip tied in place under the bottom bracket. With the main bus cable excess doubled back on itself on the side of the frame upper bar,zip tied.helps its black on black. Looks fairly tidy. I suppose shops cut things to fit. A friend bought a kit an had it shop fitted.Very neat job.But thats what they specialize in.

Reactions: stuck-indoors

jarob10

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2017
Uk

Don't be afraid to cut the cables

Heat shrink & solder to reconnect. I use front derailleur cable frame attachment points to route the (shortened) cable towards the handlebars.

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
I don't usually disagree with peeps on this forum, but personally I wouldn't be cutting any cabling on the BBS harness or extra wiring from the motor unit. Any short circuiting or water ingress could cause major problems later on. Stick with trying to tie the cabling neatly out of the way.

Reactions: tommie

jarob10

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2017
Uk
Fully respect fordulikes view on the subject. All I can say is - I’ve done it and it works

stuck-indoors

Dec 26, 2018
Peak District
Don't be afraid to cut the cables

Heat shrink & solder to reconnect. I use front derailleur cable frame attachment points to route the (shortened) cable towards the handlebars.
Thanks for that. The Bafang "1T4" cable only has 8 individual wires inside I think? I might get a spare cable and cut that down to length, but I'll stick with zip-ties for now!

jarob10

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2017
Uk
I've not tried this personally, but I'm sure you could make a good job of it with soldered joints and adhesive heat shrink, just try and have the joins well supported on the frame.
Here’s one of my creations with a throttle & single brake connector routed towards the rear of the bike (gear sensor connection). Within the heat shrinking are shorted wires to run display less.

Compared to soldering the discharge cables, slicing into the 1t4 is a doddle imo.

I’ve a spare, unmodded 1t4 for programming
9F19730D-B9B8-4AE8-989D-7316D6FA9CFE.jpeg

stuck-indoors

Dec 26, 2018
Peak District
I bought a spare Bafang "1T4" cable and cut it down to length. The 8 wires inside are twisted together (not soldered) and then short lengths of shrink-wrap used to cover the joins. It is a bit fiddly!
IMG19_7416_web.JPG
Then a final bigger piece of shrink-wrap is used to cover it:
IMG19_7420_web.JPG
be interesting to see how well the standard heat shrink-wrap copes with water ingress over time.

jarob10

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2017
Uk
Good job.

Any reason why you didn’t solder the wires together?

Did you use adhesive lined heat shrink?

stuck-indoors

Dec 26, 2018
Peak District
Any reason why you didn’t solder the wires together?

Did you use adhesive lined heat shrink?
I didn't solder the wires because I find twisting the wires together (in the right way) gives a surprisingly strong join, which also remains flexible. I also find it fiddly with soldering right next to heat-shrink sleeve: I either accidentally shrink the sleeve while trying to solder, or I don't get an thin even coat of solder so the (unshrunk) sleeve won't fit over it...

I probably should have used adhesive-lined heat shrink, with more overlap on the existing cable for better water-proofing, but I didn't have any handy. Just the normal stuff.

jarob10

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2017
Uk
Yep adhesive lined is good, but you need to be careful as it’s melting point is v high and can compromise the wiring insulation- I only melt the adhesive at each end where the wires are double insulated

For your harness, I would add a dab of liquid insulation tape at each heat shrink end