Neater/Simpler way to install the pedal sensor?

Unseen

Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2016
Manchester, UK
For my troubles my bike is fitted with the ISIS BB so needed the magnetdisc with a the much larger hole, been playing with cable ties to get it to sit centrally but frankly it looks pants! (Ok bright yellow cable ties were never going to hide well!)

Without the cable ties it does "appear" to hold itself quite well magnetically to the granny cog but I'm guessing cable tie is recommended to ensure it stays where you want it? How do every one else do theirs? (Without the suggestion to change the BB please ;) ) I did think of maybe using bigger cable ties to create an anchor on the granny gear and thinner ones drilled through... But like everything I've been procrastinating on trying to get it perfect so getting no where fast! :(

Attachments

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
There are black cable ties in the shops you know... :D Looks fine except you can't use the granny gear any more.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
you make a loop around the spokes of the inner ring, then cabletie the round metal clip to the loop. Like this:

Vagos

Pedelecer
Dec 18, 2017
Greece
Or you can throw the cable ties and just drill two small holes on the plastic disc and bolt it to the cog. It would be easier if the holes you drill match any existing holes on the cog. If not, maybe drill the cog also?

Reactions: flecc

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
You could also fit a larger granny ring so you could still use it.
Dave.

Unseen

Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2016
Manchester, UK
you make a loop around the spokes of the inner ring, then cabletie the round metal clip to the loop. Like this:

I was going to imitate this as that's in your instructions ;) But it's loosing that granny gear that keeps bothering me as trust me with my luck at the minute even though it has 17ah I will do the 9 mile route to work and halfway back end up out of juice... (Says the guy stuck in work waiting for support callback! See nice weather and I'm in work!!)

Unseen

Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2016
Manchester, UK
Or you can throw the cable ties and just drill two small holes on the plastic disc and bolt it to the cog. It would be easier if the holes you drill match any existing holes on the cog. If not, maybe drill the cog also?
I'll give that a look... Plenty of spare nuts and bolts, just hope there's a matching hole!

Reactions: Vagos

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Without the cable ties it does "appear" to hold itself quite well magnetically to the granny cog but I'm guessing cable tie is recommended to ensure it stays where you want it?
that's correct. You only need one or two cableties to be sure that the disc rotates with the cranks because the ring is already centered.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I use 3 of the methods mentioned.
On Boardman 700c cable tied, on Norco 700c magnetism & mtb is bolted.

Alan Lowery

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 2, 2018
I had a problem with the magnet reluctor ring slipping on the crank, or moving sideways away from the sensor. I squared it up and used hot melt glue. Works a treat

Unseen

Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2016
Manchester, UK
I had a problem with the magnet reluctor ring slipping on the crank, or moving sideways away from the sensor. I squared it up and used hot melt glue. Works a treat
Of all the things I've got to hand in one way or another, we don't have one of those!!! But I think I've sussed it now with a better use of cable ties but I may go down the epoxy/glue route if it slips.

Now all that's left is to try and make a tidy job of the cabling. Thanks for all the handy tips!

Hightechpete

Pedelecer
Jan 20, 2018
west Wales
Why don't you just glue individual magnets directly to the 'granny gear'?. If it works with hot melt glue, do a proper job with epoxy or JB weld.