Need a light electric bike for below £1000

tapash

Pedelecer
Apr 28, 2015
I am thinking of buying an electric bike but so much confused by the choice of variety. Also do not have enough knowledge of it.
I need a bike that is as light as possible, because I need to carry it on stairs for 2 floors.
Also need a good battery, at least 25-35 miles range.

I have narrowed down to 2

Green edge cs2 -19kg with battery
Expedition-20.5 kg

Does anyone have a better option or opinion about the above 2? Or a Lighter one maybe?
Can also consider folding ones if meets the criteria..

Last edited:

tapash

Pedelecer
Apr 28, 2015
Thanks, I actually went to a shop in London and tried A2B folding one. Didn't like so much. Feels a bit flimsy. So, I think I will only go for minimum 26" wheel.

Now I was reading personal experience of some cyclist in this forum who bought bikes like Cyclotricity, Bruisch etc. Although they have spent reasonable amount but the quality of component becomes compromised.

I can stretch to 1100£ with weights ~20kg, so, is there a chance i can get a decent bike with good component within this range of price?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
You won't get the top quality cycle components in that price bracket, but they can be adequate for the purpose.

Try checking out the Woosh range and the Kudos range.

Also some of the eZee range from Cyclezee are only just above your budget with one below, and they have some above average components in this price bracket.

Also from Cyclezee some of the Ansmann range are within your price bracket and as German made e-bikes are the usual better German build quality. They also have industry leading long warranty periods.

tapash

Pedelecer
Apr 28, 2015
Thanks!!
Woosh Zypher-b seems good one, but weight of all theses bikes are 22Kg+, which would be difficult for me to carry up -down the stairs. I was expecting something like 15-16kg, but that seems very unlikely.

Re:Ansmann range, how do the warranty works? do i need to send to Germany in case of faults?

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
Thanks!!
Woosh Zypher-b seems good one, but weight of all theses bikes are 22Kg+, which would be difficult for me to carry up -down the stairs. I was expecting something like 15-16kg, but that seems very unlikely.

Re:Ansmann range, how do the warranty works? do i need to send to Germany in case of faults?
that's easy, use the throttle to pull bike, you and shopping up the stairs.
woosh have a lovely lightweight test bike with Magura hydraulic brakes, 17kgs all in, in their workshop gathering dust. They may sell it to you cheap.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
No, the Ansmann warranty is operated by their UK agents Cyclezee, but a return would have to be to their base at Milton Keynes. That's unlikely to be necessary though, there are few problems and most can be sorted either through a local bike shop with e-bike experience, or with help from this forum.

If you are not too distant from Milton Keynes you might also get personal atttention from Cyclezee.

Very few e-bikes are much below 20 kilos, it's difficult to achieve lower at moderate prices. I wouldn't like to climb stairs with any of them to be frank.

tapash

Pedelecer
Apr 28, 2015
that's easy, use the throttle to pull bike, you and shopping up the stairs.
woosh have a lovely lightweight test bike with Magura hydraulic brakes, 17kgs all in, in their workshop gathering dust. They may sell it to you cheap.
Which bike are you referring to? do you have a link for that please?

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
I've got a picture somewhere. Will post when I find it. The bike is an ultralight frame 700C with normal bottle battery.
The main thing is it has Magura HS11 or HS33, I can't remember, front and rear to save weight compared to hydraulic discs.

tapash

Pedelecer
Apr 28, 2015
I've got a picture somewhere. Will post when I find it. The bike is an ultralight frame 700C with normal bottle battery.
The main thing is it has Magura HS11 or HS33, I can't remember, front and rear to save weight compared to hydraulic discs.
So How can I get it? directly on their website I don't see anything like that...!!

C

Cyclezee

Hi Tapash,

With regard to your question about Ansmann bikes, as has already been mentioned by Flecc, we can deal with any warranty issues right here in the UK.
So far we have not had a single warranty claim for an Ansmann bike or kit, the only part we have had to replace was cable from the handle bar display which was accidentally damaged and we replaced it free of charge.

As for the eZee bikes and kits, we hold most parts in stock, any that we don't can be shipped by airfreight from Shanghai in one week.

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
The Kudos Tornado is 21kg,that's about as light as it's possible to get and still have a powerful motor and reasonable range. The battery detaches easily so you could take that off before carrying the bike up the stairs.
There are many Tornado owners on this forum.
The Freego Raptor is very light but the range is very reduced.
KudosDave

tapash

Pedelecer
Apr 28, 2015
Hi Tapash,

With regard to your question about Ansmann bikes, as has already been mentioned by Flecc, we can deal with any warranty issues right here in the UK.
So far we have not had a single warranty claim for an Ansmann bike or kit, the only part we have had to replace was cable from the handle bar display which was accidentally damaged and we replaced it free of charge.

As for the eZee bikes and kits, we hold most parts in stock, any that we don't can be shipped by airfreight from Shanghai in one week.
Thanks, Do you have any Ansmann that is below 20 -21kg? (incl battery). I have noticed, in your website no bike has stated their weight!!

tapash

Pedelecer
Apr 28, 2015
The Kudos Tornado is 21kg,that's about as light as it's possible to get and still have a powerful motor and reasonable range. The battery detaches easily so you could take that off before carrying the bike up the stairs.
There are many Tornado owners on this forum.
The Freego Raptor is very light but the range is very reduced.
KudosDave
I have actually thought of freego Raptor but even with double battery the range can be justified and still it remains below 15kg. What is the cons of Raptor?

Another option I have looked at is Oxygen, looks really cool, with good components and features. and range is 50miles. Although price is a bit out of my reach.

Last edited:

JohnCade

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2014
I have actually thought of freego Raptor but even with double battery the range can be justified and still it remains below 15kg. What is the cons of Raptor?

Another option I have looked at is Oxygen, looks really cool, with good components and features. and range is 50miles. Although price is a bit out of my reach.
Take stated range with a pinch of salt on all these bikes. Range will be how much you use the power, and how hilly it is where you cycle, and how fast you go. A large part of the weight is the battery, and the bigger it is the more range you have, and also the heavier the bike is. You can take the battery off and carry it upstairs separately. The bike would be a lot lighter like that.

Reactions: trex
C

Cyclezee

Thanks, Do you have any Ansmann that is below 20 -21kg? (incl battery). I have noticed, in your website no bike has stated their weight!!
Hi Tapash,

The Ansmann FT-15 with 53 cm frame for example weighs 22Kg 'fully clothed' i.e. including battery, mudguards, lights, suspension seatpost. It has 27 speed Shimano Alivo Derailleur gears, 700c wheels, Schwalbe Energizer tyres.

If you stripped it down to the component level of some of the other bikes that you are considering, it would be within weight range that you are looking at.

The unmatched warranty weighs nothing.

Last edited by a moderator:

Alan103

Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2015
I am thinking of buying an electric bike but so much confused by the choice of variety. Also do not have enough knowledge of it.
I need a bike that is as light as possible, because I need to carry it on stairs for 2 floors.
Also need a good battery, at least 25-35 miles range.

I have narrowed down to 2

Green edge cs2 -19kg with battery
Expedition-20.5 kg

Does anyone have a better option or opinion about the above 2? Or a Lighter one maybe?
Can also consider folding ones if meets the criteria..
Hi there, I'm in pretty much the same position you are in and can't decide what to buy but have came across a few bikes that I am considering, the Woosh Sirocco Sport (CD or TS) both - 21kg, the Burisch Synergy GT250 - 20.5kg.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
The Sport TS is about the same weight as the Burisch, the Sport CD is about 1kg heavier than the other two.