Need e-bike for training rides

whibbles52

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 1, 2010
France nr. Geneva
Hi,
New to this forum and I am just back from my weekly ride with a group of younger riders with lighter bikes ! We normally train from March to June on 50-100km rides and mainly on the flat in preparation for a 180km bike ride round Lake Geneva. I am one one of the oldest at 58 and need some technology to help me keep up with the group ! The pace seems to be between 25 and 30kmh.

I have tested BH Emotion bikes and am waiting for the "2011" models - the Carbon Road or the Sport Max+ (I would like to be able to ride on forest paths occasionally). I have also tested BionX based bikes but they tend to be above my budget of 2000 gbp. Here in France, the dealer network is poor, except for Matra bikes, so reliability is important for me. Any advice would be much appreciated as this is a big investment for me.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Hi and welcome!:)

I like E motion and most of us think that BionX while very desirable are pricing themselves above mere mortals:rolleyes:

my only reservation is the range of your rides...you will probably need a couple of batteries for training......God knows how many for the lake Geneva gig:p

Be prepared to be abused by fellow club riders! lol

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The BH E-motions, like all with the Panasonic unit, are very suitable for track use since the motor/battery are central well away from direct wheel shocks. Also you can reduce the rear sprocket tooth count (hub gear) or cassette (derailleur) to give a smaller top sprocket to increase the power assist limit to the 30 kph region.

As standard on those, and also on most hub motor bikes, the assist cutting off by 25 kph might still leave you lagging at times.

Be aware that upping the assist speed cuts the range though.

whibbles52

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 1, 2010
France nr. Geneva
Thanks for all your comments. I had thought about the Kalkhoff but haven't tracked down a dealer yet. I am confused about the Panasonic motors - is it the same 250W motor on the Kalkhoff, BH and Flyer bikes ? Kalkhoff now talk about a "special version of the Panasonic 250W integrated system giving greater assistance (1:1.5) in high power mode" - will this bring any real benefits ?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Thanks for all your comments. I had thought about the Kalkhoff but haven't tracked down a dealer yet. I am confused about the Panasonic motors - is it the same 250W motor on the Kalkhoff, BH and Flyer bikes ? Kalkhoff now talk about a "special version of the Panasonic 250W integrated system giving greater assistance (1:1.5) in high power mode" - will this bring any real benefits ?
The 250 watt motor unit is basically the same but has variations according to the bike manufacturer's requirements. The high power mode can be 1.3, 1.5 or 2 times the standard power level. You need to check with each make's agent to see what they have available.

A 1.3 times level requires you input 43% of the power needed, the motor the rest.

A 1.5 times level requires you input 40% of the power needed, the motor the rest.

A 2 times level requires you input 33.3% of the power needed, the motor the rest, but this 2 times level is only available on the high speed S model currently.