Need help with a valuation!!

Pinbin

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 23, 2011
Hello everyone,

I don't know if you recall, but a couple of months ago I was involved in an accident, where a large 4x4 hit me from behind- throwing me to the ground, and rendering my bike unusable.

The insurance company involved have been very understanding, but now need a full quote to bring the bike back into working order.

I am looking for someone (I don't any of the large chains) who can understand e-bikes, and value each and every damaged component at its full value.

I worry that by taking it to Halfords/Evans etc, they will quote me their cheap components as replacement components- thus causing a much lower "valuation of damage."

Does anyone have any ideas?

I live in NW London, and will happily pay for travel etc. (Sorry did I say I will pay? I meant the third party insurance will pay ;))

Thanks in advance, and please let me know any further ideas/advice you may have in this matter.

Pinbin

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
is it your Agatuu ?

Prob best to take it back to one of their dealers such as 50cycles (based in richmond so at least in London if quite a trek from you)

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Sorry but just like motorbikes, bikes after a crash cannot be trusted can they? I would be claiming for a new bike. I am sure an understanding dealer would report it beyond economical repair as long as you were buying a new bike from them....

Last edited:

rog_london

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 3, 2009
Harrow, Middlesex
Yes it is indeed. I think I need more of a repair man than a dealer.
I'd have thought that Kirstin's advice is sound - it's usually the parts cost which is the most significant part of the repair, and if it's a Kalkhoff then 50cycles would be the obvious choice, as they'll have access to price lists direct from Kalkhoff, which probably won't be available anywhere else.

If it's anything like the cost of fixing a motorbike, you can look forward to the total bill of building your bike from scratch from the spares list as being five to ten times the cost of a new bike - and a new bike may well be what you get out of it if you play your cards right for that reason.

Rog.