Need Julet connector to JST connector cable

pajtaz

Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2019
Netherlands
Hello, I recently purchased all parts of ebike kit. I was just completing all connections when I realized that PAS sensor has 3-pin waterproof Julet connector but the controller only has 3-pin JST connector as input. Here are the photos of sensor connector and controller connector.

1577910411653.jpeg 1577910549627.jpeg

Now I can always cut off the Julet connector, figure out the wires, buy short 3-pin JST cable, and solder the wires to that cable then connect it to the controller. I would rather keep the nice waterproof connector and just buy a Julet to JST cable, if such exists. Does anybody know how would I search and ask about this kind of cable? Should ebike stores have this kind of cable in stock? If I am searching for this cable on webshops, what search terms do I use do find it?

Supposedly the sensor connector has “standard waterproof” connector but I can’t seem to find any cable with matching female 3-pin connector anywhere. There are plenty of 9-pin motor cables on usual ebike shops but no 3-pin cables.

Can anyone help me find this cable here in Netherlands? Otherwise, I guess I can cut the cable like I mentioned above. Thank you in advance.

jarob10

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2017
Uk
You could make up a small inter connecting cable - I’ve never seen anything like that available off the shelf.

Search ebike waterproof connectors on aliexpress to find the 2 prewired connectors.

Probably your best bet would be to chop the controller connector off, and attach an (aliexpress sourced) Julet connector, using solder & heatshrink

pajtaz

Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2019
Netherlands
I was trying to avoid buying from aliexpress or other Chinese shops. I want to walk into a local shop and buy it or buy from Dutch webshop. Otherwise I would already buy from aliexpress.

After some more searching, it looks like I will have to make my own interconnecting cable, as you said. What I am hoping is that a local electronic parts shop has Julet 3-pin connectors with some wires. I will check out the shop tomorrow.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Cut off both connectors and then solder and heat shrink together is the easy solution.
Usually the wire sequence is simple to work out.

pajtaz

Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2019
Netherlands
Well I am not using a throttle and the throttle connector coming from the controller is the male JST 3-pin that matches the female PAS connector. Now I am thinking of cutting off the throttle connector with enough wire, cutting off PAS connector, soldering those wires together, then plugging that into the PAS connector on the controller. At least that way I can still disconnect the sensor without cutting the soldered connections.

Unless, of course, someone sells Julet 3-pin female connectors in Netherlands. I found exactly that on a German site (E-bike Technologies) but then I have to pay another €7 for shipping and €4 for cable. I might do it just because that way I don't have to cut off the PAS cable.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I was trying to avoid buying from aliexpress or other Chinese shops. I want to walk into a local shop and buy it or buy from Dutch webshop. Otherwise I would already buy from aliexpress.

After some more searching, it looks like I will have to make my own interconnecting cable, as you said. What I am hoping is that a local electronic parts shop has Julet 3-pin connectors with some wires. I will check out the shop tomorrow.
Unfortunately Julet and Higo connectors are made in China and that is where you will find the lowest prices and the cheapest shipping (often "free"). I doubt very much that any European electronic parts shop stock such items which are only used where water resistant electrical connexions are needed.

pajtaz

Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2019
Netherlands
As you all said, it looks like there is no way to get these Julet connectors in Netherlands. I can now either order from that German company or Aliexpress. Since this is just a PAS cable, it makes no sense to pay so much money for this cable to be shipped from Germany or wait almost 3 weeks for one to arrive from Aliexpress. I will just cut the connector off, solder wires to a 3-pin male JST cable wires, and connect it to the controller.

If anyone in Europe does actually want to get one of these connectors, that German site is the main place for these kinds of cables. They have a big selection and prices are good. Thanks to everyone for helping.

pajtaz

Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2019
Netherlands
Just a quick update, I successfully cut off the Julet connector and soldered the wires to a 3-pin male JST connector that I cut off from the controller throttle input. I tested it quickly last night and PAS works correctly. Wires were easy to figure out since there was red, black, and blue. Since it is almost universal that red is +5V and black is GND, then what is left over is the blue being Signal.

In case anyone faces the same problem, the PAS I have is King Meter T281 right side PAS compatible with KT controllers. I bought it from ATM Technologies. They are in Germany and have lots of ebike parts including controllers and motors. All of their controllers come with Julet or Higo connectors so their associated parts such as PAS also come with these connectors. In case you buy a sensor from them, please keep in mind you will not be able to connect to the controller unless it has a Julet connector.

pajtaz

Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2019
Netherlands
Hi,

A bit late I am afraid but I wonder if this would work
It is too late now but I also found the same company (linked to the website in one of my posts above). In the end it was not worth it for me to purchase anything from them. I could not justify spending 7 EUR shipping and whatever cost of parts when all I needed was some cutting and soldering. Even if I bought a connector or cable that matched the one on the sensor, I would still have to make a new cable to connect to the existing connector on the controller which would involve again cutting and soldering.

In general though, buying a bunch of connectors and cables from this company would be an option if I decide to change all existing JST connectors to the water proof connectors. Right now I have several of these kinds of connectors that are bunched up together and I now need to tidy them up and protect them from water, shock, and vibration. Having them all be waterproof connectors would make that easier. Could be something for the future once I am comfortable everything works ok. I just finished installing the kit, I have not even taken the bike out for a ride.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Higo and Julet connector's although compatible in that they interconnect are not compatible otherwise, the wire pin out sequence is different so they aren't mix and match at all.

ed22

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 15, 2021
Higo and Julet connector's although compatible in that they interconnect are not compatible otherwise, the wire pin out sequence is different so they aren't mix and match at all.
Hello,

instead of creating a new thread for this, i leave a message here.
I have questions about this higo/julet story:

I have a bafang G310 hub. it has a higo plug.
Does it mean i'm stick with higo plug controller?
Or is it possible to turn a julet style controller compatible with a higo hub (of course with some soldering)? Anyone tried this?

I'm looking for an Hailong inner controller to run this hub. I've seen some but with julet plug. I don't know which type are those from topebike, i'll ask them.

thx

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
No you can use any controller, 9 pin the motor pin outs are normally a std layout /sequence.
I have a Bafang cst hub and a G370 and they both work with KT controllers, I can swap out my Aikema and Yose hub and they all work. It is the only item on hub bikes that is pretty much std amongst all the brands. Even the Suntour hub with the dodgy electronics works the same way, though the connector is different the wiring matche's the normal practice.

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Higo is mainly Bafang domain so your controller is a Bafang controller.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
If you change controller brand you will also have to change the display other wise incompatibility raises it's head so buy both at the same time as a matching pair.
If it is a KT controller then you can use any KT display.

ed22

Feb 15, 2021
Hello Nealh,

thanks for your help.
Considering your reply above ( january 20), now the wire pin out sequence is quite often the same and things have changed since you wrote it?
I don't have any controller for the moment and no display. Just trying to find an inner controller for hailong battery. They always come with a KT controller inside.
To resume :
1) will a higo male plug fit a julet female plug?
2) KT controller will likely work with a higo bafang hub?

thank you,

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Right lets start again.
The motor cable exiting the hub axle is nowadays a 8 or 9 pin one 3 large phase pins and 5 or 6 thinner hall pins. These are a standard layout what ever the make/brand on them.
The smaller coloured waterproof multipin connectors for peripheral items use a differing wire sequence between the Higo and Julet brands.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Hello Nealh,

thanks for your help.
Considering your reply above ( january 20), now the wire pin out sequence is quite often the same and things have changed since you wrote it?
I don't have any controller for the moment and no display. Just trying to find an inner controller for hailong battery. They always come with a KT controller inside.
To resume :
1) will a higo male plug fit a julet female plug?
2) KT controller will likely work with a higo bafang hub?

thank you,
1. Yes but the wire sequence will be wrong from one to the other.
2. Yes , the motor wire from the axle uses a std pin layout.

If changing controller brand you will 100% have to buy a new lcd display and controller as a paired item also you will need to buy the connecting 1T2 or 1T4 trunk cable as well. PAS and throttle you could reuse if you cut the and solder the wiring so the pin sequence match's. Though to tbh honest the faff isn't worth it, just buy a new PAS and throttle as they are cheap items, other wise just cut off the connectors slide some shrink up the wire and solder the wires for correct sequence.

Last edited:

ed22

Feb 15, 2021
OK.
sorry i'm a noob in electric bikes jungle...
i only have a bafang hub for the moment.
So i can plug this 9 pins hub in a 9 pins julet KT controller but since "the wire sequence will be wrong from one to the other" i do expect some soldering to the controller side to make it work. Or i don't understand what the wire sequence means. To me it means the way the pin are placed in the 9 pin plug (whatever connector type it is).

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Yes the pin placement in the 9 pin motor connectors are the same no matter which brand of hub and is a std layout as is the wiring colours. It is only as you have understood that the others connectors and wiring can be different.
If changing controller to Julet type then simply save some faff and buy Julet peripherals. Personally I prefer the older style Sm block connectors.