Need New Handlebars Due to Accident

Paul Heckmann

Pedelecer
Sep 17, 2017
Fort Worth, Texas
I bought a X-Treme Trailmaker E-Bike last year and rode the heck out of it. Moved back to Dallas and rode the Sante Fe Trail to White Rock Lake/Trail, doing 12-16 miles 4-5 times a week.

Aug 20th that stopped. I was transitioning from the trail to the asphalt road and hit some kind of pothole. Sudden halt at 20mph. Crushed my right elbow. 18 screws, 3 rods. A week in the trauma unit at Baylor.

Now I'm well into my therapy and am looking at what I need to do to get back on the bike. I found that I cannot quite extend my arm, cannot lock it out, and its considerably weaker than the other. Its also a bit shorter as they had to cut off some of the bone.

The mountain bike handlebars are going to be a couple or more inches too far away. Thinking that something with a bigger 'riser type bar might work okay.

Suggestions?

tommie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 13, 2013
Co. Down, N. Ireland, U.K.
I know what you mean, those mtb bars usually lock your arms out straight and probably the cause of shattering the bones. I had to replace mine with `North Road` bars plus a riser to give a more comfortable position.

Check out Amazon.

Paul Heckmann

Pedelecer
Sep 17, 2017
Fort Worth, Texas
I know what you mean, those mtb bars usually lock your arms out straight and probably the cause of shattering the bones. I had to replace mine with `North Road` bars plus a riser to give a more comfortable position.

Check out Amazon.
Interesting. Did you only replace the handlebars only - or the stem too? I'm looking at a 3 1/2 and a 5 1/2 riser bars. The ones that came on the bike are almost straight - a very small rise

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Plenty of options on bars with some sweep. I ended up answer pro taper with 40mm rise and I think 9 degree backsweep

One one mary bars I still have on my 29er which is far more relaxed , upright ride that my 26er

do stay away from cheap Chinese carbon , internet has plenty horror stories on these.!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paul Heckmann

Pedelecer
Sep 17, 2017
Fort Worth, Texas
Plenty of options on bars with some sweep. I ended up answer pro taper with 40mm rise and I think 9 degree backsweep

One one mary bars I still have on my 29er which is far more relaxed , upright ride that my 26er

do stay away from cheap Chinese carbon , internet has plenty horror stories on these.!

any problems steering? ( with the thought that I cannot straighten out my right arm )

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Another thought is how wide are your bars. Super wide is very on trend but I find you need to stretch out those arms.!

By going for narrower bars you need less arm movement to achieve same steer angle. Some argue this makes the bike more "twitchy" . Horses for courses I guess

Does that make sense ?

Paul Heckmann

Pedelecer
Sep 17, 2017
Fort Worth, Texas
Another thought is how wide are your bars. Super wide is very on trend but I find you need to stretch out those arms.!

By going for narrower bars you need less arm movement to achieve same steer angle. Some argue this makes the bike more "twitchy" . Horses for courses I guess

Does that make sense ?

Yes, it does. I'm pretty broad shouldered so I may have to try a few out.
Thanks

tommie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 13, 2013
I would def go for the adjustable riser and the bars.
With the bars there`s only so much adjustment you can get. With both i`m sure you can get it to a point where it is comfortable for you.

Paul Heckmann

Pedelecer
Sep 17, 2017
Fort Worth, Texas
I would def go for the adjustable riser and the bars.
With the bars there`s only so much adjustment you can get. With both i`m sure you can get it to a point where it is comfortable for you.
thanks to both of you. Gonna head over to a rather big bike store tomorrow and see what I can find. Paul

JPGiant

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 3, 2017
West Yorkshire
Riser type may be the answer, but have you thought of asking a pipe-bending company to to look into heating and reshaping the RH side of a set of handlebars to bring it nearer to you gradually from rise section.
We personalise our bikes to suite our bodies, this may be a way forward for your predicament.

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
I bought a X-Treme Trailmaker E-Bike last year and rode the heck out of it. Moved back to Dallas and rode the Sante Fe Trail to White Rock Lake/Trail, doing 12-16 miles 4-5 times a week.

Aug 20th that stopped. I was transitioning from the trail to the asphalt road and hit some kind of pothole. Sudden halt at 20mph. Crushed my right elbow. 18 screws, 3 rods. A week in the trauma unit at Baylor.

Now I'm well into my therapy and am looking at what I need to do to get back on the bike. I found that I cannot quite extend my arm, cannot lock it out, and its considerably weaker than the other. Its also a bit shorter as they had to cut off some of the bone.

The mountain bike handlebars are going to be a couple or more inches too far away. Thinking that something with a bigger 'riser type bar might work okay.

Suggestions?
Might these handlebars help? Or simply reverse the position of that "bit" between the top part of the forks and the handlebar, so that it points backward? I hope these ideas help further. Regards, Andy
Handlebars.jpg

Paul Heckmann

Pedelecer
Sep 17, 2017
Fort Worth, Texas
Might these handlebars help? Or simply reverse the position of that "bit" between the top part of the forks and the handlebar, so that it points backward? I hope these ideas help further. Regards, Andy
View attachment 27538
Looks great. Good suggestion - I went out and tried it. Unfortunately at the point above the main stem, it starts to slant upward - which means when you turn it around, it slants downward. Would probably make riding near impossible

Paul Heckmann

Pedelecer
Sep 17, 2017
Fort Worth, Texas
Looks great. Good suggestion - I went out and tried it. Unfortunately at the point above the main stem, it starts to slant upward - which means when you turn it around, it slants downward. Would probably make riding near impossible
Handlebars like yours would probably do the trick. Will try those at the bike shop

Paul Heckmann

Pedelecer
Sep 17, 2017
Fort Worth, Texas
Riser type may be the answer, but have you thought of asking a pipe-bending company to to look into heating and reshaping the RH side of a set of handlebars to bring it nearer to you gradually from rise section.
We personalise our bikes to suite our bodies, this may be a way forward for your predicament.
interesting. Let me check out what the bike company has to say once I drop it over there. They are gonna have to tweak a few things anyway, lots of scraped metal and so forth.

tommie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 13, 2013
This is mine just before i fitted that adjustable riser (it`s a fixed one in the pic), you can see the gripping point is way above where the straight mtb was - make for much more comfort to the wrists, shoulders back etc..

Bike_New.jpg

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
You have my sympathy, my left arm/elbow was reconstructed back in 95, now 1" shorter and it doesn't fully straighten. Hey ho, we overcome.

I use the shortest stem available, similar to these.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cycling-Bicycle-Aluminium-Alloy-MTB-Mountain-Bike-Handlebar-Stem-31-8mm-WAKE-UK/123010761694?hash=item1ca40343de:m:mTldD1bp8U4YkQgoUuGFgSw&var=423448862766
And a nice high handlebar like these
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Atomlab-Pimplite-Riser-Bars-Black/dp/B0112UMEHS
I have also used these trekking bars that have a better back sweep but are a little lower than the pimplite's

Don't forget to check the handlebar matches the stem clamp diameter ;)

• Useful
Reactions: tommie