Need New Handlebars Due to Accident

Paul Heckmann

Pedelecer
Sep 17, 2017
Fort Worth, Texas
You have my sympathy, my left arm/elbow was reconstructed back in 95, now 1" shorter and it doesn't fully straighten. Hey ho, we overcome.

I use the shortest stem available, similar to these.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cycling-Bicycle-Aluminium-Alloy-MTB-Mountain-Bike-Handlebar-Stem-31-8mm-WAKE-UK/123010761694?hash=item1ca40343de:m:mTldD1bp8U4YkQgoUuGFgSw&var=423448862766
And a nice high handlebar like these
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Atomlab-Pimplite-Riser-Bars-Black/dp/B0112UMEHS
I have also used these trekking bars that have a better back sweep but are a little lower than the pimplite's

Don't forget to check the handlebar matches the stem clamp diameter ;)
thanks. Almost the same exact bars I am looking at. Got a note from the mfg thats its a 31.5m bar

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Looks great. Good suggestion - I went out and tried it. Unfortunately at the point above the main stem, it starts to slant upward - which means when you turn it around, it slants downward. Would probably make riding near impossible
Cut, turn and weld? Maybe on a spare old one off a scrap bike?
Having a MIG welder at home, I forget that many do not! Sorry!
regards
Andy

Reactions: Paul Heckmann

Paul Heckmann

Pedelecer
Sep 17, 2017
Fort Worth, Texas
Cut, turn and weld? Maybe on a spare old one off a scrap bike?
Having a MIG welder at home, I forget that many do not! Sorry!
regards
Andy

thanks. Almost the same exact bars I am looking at. Got a note from the mfg thats its a 31.5m bar
Dropped off at Richardson Bike Mart by White Rock Lake a few minutes ago. They're gonna do a complete tuneup check all the cables, spokes, add a short yoke that will bring the bars about a 1 1/2" closer, ordered 3 1'2 riser bars, will reset the brakes, cables, etc. About $150. Very decent deal. Shop has outstanding rep in this area. With this handlebar I can adjust, they can cut it, bend it, etc

Paul Heckmann

Pedelecer
Sep 17, 2017
Fort Worth, Texas

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
That's an awful lot of bracing back together Paul, my sympathies. I hope that over time you are able to adapt enough to no longer notice too much the difference it's brought to your arm.

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Dropped off at Richardson Bike Mart by White Rock Lake a few minutes ago. They're gonna do a complete tuneup check all the cables, spokes, add a short yoke that will bring the bars about a 1 1/2" closer, ordered 3 1'2 riser bars, will reset the brakes, cables, etc. About $150. Very decent deal. Shop has outstanding rep in this area. With this handlebar I can adjust, they can cut it, bend it, etc
PERFECT!
I wish you well for the future, many others would have simply given up!!
regards and I wish you lots of smooth surfaces for the future! :)
Andy